You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

A new goalkeeper coach is essential. If we are looking at the Chelsea fella, then whether that particular deal works out or not shows me that the club knows a change is needed. Achterberg has a history at Liverpool of goalkeepers not really growing and improving. In fact, you could argue that they regress. Compare and contrast to the improvement we are seeing in a lot of the outfield players under Klopp. The same sort of thing is needed for the goalie, and I'm afraid Achterberg is not the man to deliver it.

No hard feelings. Pay up his contract or shuffle him elsewhere, but first team goalkeeping coach needs an upgrade. I'm sure Klopp has had plenty of time to assess it all and we will start to see real progress this summer, both in terms of the playing staff and the team behind the team, with the two recent appointments from Bayern Munich being a good start.

...Achterberg has a history at Liverpool of goalkeepers not really growing and improving. In fact, you could argue that they regress...

That is exactly the issue I have with Achterberg. As you say, the evidence suggests that our goalkeepers do not improve on their strengths or their weaknesses and in a lot of cases, they seem to be going backwards. What was once deemed to be a strength is now just average and the weaknesses are still there to glaring effect.

Karius may indeed turn out to be good , None of us have any real idea .

I'm assuming he will be back up to Mig which for me doesn't solve anything as imo we need a top class replacement, After tomorrow night I was hoping not to have to see Mignolet in goal for us gain  . My dreams are crushed.

I reckon the intention is for Mignolet's 5 year contract to bridge the gap of a new keeper finding his feet in England, while Ward gets enough game time and experience in someone else's first team to be our medium-term back-up.

Next season would be about Karius, for example, starting as deputy while waiting for Mignolet to open the door with an error, coming on before half time in the opening game, then establishing himself in English football with a Premier League experienced deputy ready any time he's not available or has a wobble himself.

As poor as Mignolet is, he's better than what we've had as reserve in recent years, and Klopp seems to not want to go down the spending cash (including agent fees) to bring in more unproven squad players route, which makes a refreshing change whatever Simple Simon's numerous limitations.

I'm sure the aim is for him to be off next summer or in 2018, with a more developed Ward taking his squad place.

• Upvote 2