You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Battlefield 5

Allan

Is this going to have a good single player campaign or is it being produced specifically for online play? The trailers and the fact it is WW1 based make it really appeal to me, but I don't bother with online.

There is a campaign, however rumours are that it's only going to be 6 missions, (how long each mission might be is unknown as yet).

The previous 2 Battlefield campaigns have been good, but short, so I suspect that this trend will continue into BF1. Bad Company 2 was the last campaign of decent length that I can recall in the Battlefield series.

Although you say that the online side of things isn't your thing, I would at least give the beta a play if you have a little time on your hands for the next couple of days or so. (Not seen any dates for the close of the beta as yet). 

It's free and it's just a bit of fun.

If you're on PS4, the beta is a touch over 7Gb and I would assume will be the same size, or near as damnit over on Xbox One. PC is slightly smaller, I believe.

Here's the official campaign trailer released at E3.

• Upvote 1

I was just about to post the same; every few years I try a Battlefield game, and every time I shock myself at how truly inept my skills are. Even when I get the drop on someone I manage to panic and get killed.

Medic is about the only way I can get any points. Plus it hides the embarrassment of having killed no one as I'm effectively playing as a conchie.

Still absolutely loving the beta. It's now confirmed that the beta will end on Thursday 8th.

They've thankfully tweaked conquest so that the games are no longer just 20 minute rounds, now they're first to 300 points, which is how conquest should be. It isn't a game mode made for just 20 minutes at a time.

If you're not too confident with the gun play, then jump in a vehicle and just go from objective point to objective point, capping every flag you can. I sat top of the leader board once, having not had 1 single kill, or death. I was simply racing from flag to flag with a group in the armoured cars and grabbing as many capture points as I could. (I have a screenshot somewhere).

Anyone else playing this, be sure that you're on a squad that is being given squad orders to follow, the amount of points you'll miss out on if you're not is significant. If you find yourself on a squad with a shitty squad leader, hit the pause menu and start your own squad.

Everytime you go to take an objective, be sure to pop yourself an attack squad order and you'll earn yourself at least 200 extra points for following your own order once the point is capped. Hold R1/RB, pull down to squad orders using the left stick, then find the point you're capping, again using the left stick, before releasing R1/RB. You can also line up the objective in your cross hairs and long press R1/RB.

Another thing I cannot stress enough that people should do, is spot. Spot at all time when you've got any kind of overlook position. Infantry, tanks, planes, horses, the lot. Spot everything you can. There's not enough people spotting in the beta in my experience, though the mechanic seems to be less reliable than in previous Battlefield games.

Nice.

This is the kind of game that really underlines how important a single player campaign is. Cack handed people like me need something to learn on, otherwise I'll forever be stuck accidentally throwing a grenade at the feet of my own squad and then running away.

Still, despite the confusion I'm really enjoying this. I hope they add some more significant bullet drop for snipers though, as on Rush you can be stuck defending the final lines and getting picked off by hoards of snipers camping behind the huge rock formation. You can't even outflank them because you can't leave the area.

Oh, and I'd kill for proper vehicle tutorials. Just some simple tasks that can get you acclimatised. I've already flown a plane into the ground.

Nice.

This is the kind of game that really underlines how important a single player campaign is. Cack handed people like me need something to learn on, otherwise I'll forever be stuck accidentally throwing a grenade at the feet of my own squad and then running away.

Still, despite the confusion I'm really enjoying this. I hope they add some more significant bullet drop for snipers though, as on Rush you can be stuck defending the final lines and getting picked off by hoards of snipers camping behind the huge rock formation. You can't even outflank them because you can't leave the area.

Oh, and I'd kill for proper vehicle tutorials. Just some simple tasks that can get you acclimatised. I've already flown a plane into the ground.

Pro tip... Keep out of planes. Unless you really want to fly. If so, find an empty server and fly straight into the ground until your heart's content...

Seriously though, the best way to learn the vehicle movements is to go into an empty server and have a proper play with no one shooting at you, and no objectives to worry too much about. However, eventually people will start joining your server, so be sure to cap at least a few flags...

Yep, regarding Rush, they defo have to force the attacking team to move further forward, beyond the rocks, when they are going after the last 2 areas, (so the last 4 bomb sites/mcoms/telegraphs). Either that or open up flank routes for the defending team. Just to give the snipers something else to think about, as they can just focus fire forward at the moment.

• Upvote 1

They've dropped a little patch to unlock all beta equipment/weapons for all classes ahead of the last day or so of the beta.

I'd unlocked all the Medic stuff anyway, and had been working through Assault & Support. Had only progessed Scout a little, so will have to have a play with the 'new' weapons before the beta ends.

Sounds good. Hopefully I can get on tonight, as I want to try out some other weapons. I'm finding Support suits me as the heavy machine gun means I can at least get a few suppression assists.

I tried a plane out on an empty server and without the panic of battle it's surprisingly easy to manoeuvre. Still think I'll stick to tail gunner duties though.

Really hoping they make reviving people easier in the final game, as I tend to prefer playing medic.

Sounds good. Hopefully I can get on tonight, as I want to try out some other weapons. I'm finding Support suits me as the heavy machine gun means I can at least get a few suppression assists.

I tried a plane out on an empty server and without the panic of battle it's surprisingly easy to manoeuvre. Still think I'll stick to tail gunner duties though.

Really hoping they make reviving people easier in the final game, as I tend to prefer playing medic.

I tried planes again, but just like previous Battlefields, I'm only a danger to myself in aircraft. My brain just doesn't want to let me fly them. When the controls are inverted, my brain tells me they're not, and vice-versa...

I run as Medic for the most part, as I like the accuracy of the semi auto rifles and have a decent enough trigger finger to get bullets down range pretty quickly.

The biggest problem running the Medic is, as you mention, reviving fallen comrades, which I reckon is more because people are spamming X to get back to the menu quicker, rather than just wait (the same amount of time) before respawning normally.

If this 'quick' spawn option was removed, there would be far more revives. I think I've managed a few revives, mainly in Rush when squad/team mates were very close by. (Normally snipers in the rocks during the first set of telegraphs).

Yeah, I guess spamming X is to be expected though, people want to get back into the action, mindful of their time with the beta being limited. It becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy  - people spam X, no one revives, so no one waits, etc. I can't remember, but were fallen comrades better marked in previous Battlefields too? I'll probably go back to medic once I can find a weapon I like and if I'm in a good squad.  

Regarding snipers, in the early days I quite disliked the prevalence, but I think the map's largely to blame, it's so open. After a while though, that spot by the rocks became quite a nice little hunting ground, as you can often outflank them and grab a few melee kills and clear out a whole nest of them in one go.

It'll be interesting to see whether there are any tweaks to snipers and vehicles in the final release.

• 2 weeks later...

Game modes and maps confirmed for release day.

Modes

Maps

The new Operations game mode sounds brilliant.

Operations offer epic journeys across several maps based upon real battles of World War I. We wanted to offer a large and epic experience with a focus on teamplay and frontline combat. Adding this meta-layer to the game mode, and stretching it across multiple interesting locations that both look and play very differently, adds a whole new layer of scale and variety to the battles in Battlefield 1. Your team can win on one map, proceed to the next map, and actually see the map you previously fought over on the horizon.

OPERATIONS: OFFENSE

As an attacker you’ll hear the commanding officer’s whistle as the order to charge the enemy is given. You run side-by-side with your teammates as you storm the enemy defensive positions on foot, in tanks, airplanes, boats, and on horseback. The attackers will win the Operation if they manage to capture the very last sector in the very last map.

The attackers must capture and hold all defensive positions in order to capture the sector that is being fought over. Once this is done, the defenders will fall back to the next sector and regroup. The pacing and variety between the different sectors vary widely, since each sector offers a different amount of objectives to capture and defend as well as varied layouts and choke points.

OPERATIONS: DEFENSE

As a defender, you’ll dig down as you hear the alarm go off signaling an incoming attack. You’ll man the stationary machine-guns and cannons to aid you as you rain hell on the advancing enemy attackers. The defenders will win the Operation if they kill enough enemies to drain the battalions.

We wanted to create a Battlefield experience that was not just bite-sized, but actually spanned beyond an hour of playtime. Something epic and compelling for players who wanted a chance to immerse themselves in this first global war, and capture the stories of how different battles were deeply connected to one another. This kind of frontline combat really captures the essence of WWI clashes, intimate and deeply rooted in breaking through or holding ground. The attackers must take territory and push the frontline forward, while the defenders are trying to hold the line. Should the defenders fail to hold their ground on a map, the Operation doesn’t stop here: they will fall back and regroup on a different map, while the attackers will continue to push. Sectors may fall, but players reinforced by gigantic Behemoths can still turn the tide.

They've also announced some changes they'll be making following the feedback from the beta.

BF1 Beta: What we learned

Hello everyone! My name is Daniel Berlin, and I’m the Lead World Designer on Battlefield 1. 

I would like to give you all a big THANK YOU from everyone here at DICE Stockholm for helping make the Battlefield 1 Open Beta the biggest Beta in EA's history. It’s a real treat to see the game being played by our fans and newcomers alike! Every single issue you encounter, every bug reported, and all the feedback given is invaluable to us here within the development team. Trust me when I say that we listen closely to all of your comments.

But what does this mean? Well, first off I’d like to talk to you about the Conquest game mode. When we build a new Battlefieldgame it’s important for us to try new things, we want to stay fresh and renew the franchise with each new installment. However, it’s equally as important that we take the feedback that you, the community, are giving us. That is why we're going to be making changes to the Conquest game mode ticket system for launch.

The next time you play the game, capturing the objectives AND getting kills will both contribute towards the final score of a Conquest match. You have spoken, we have listened!

We have also been monitoring and listening to your comments in regards to the Rush game mode. It’s super exciting for us to bring back Rush for Battlefield 1, and we are aiming to make it the best Rush experience to date. We are making tweaks to the game mode as we speak with your feedback as the backbone to the entire process.

We're also looking into balancing other elements, including the weapons and vehicles. The Light Tank, which is a bit too effective in the Open Beta, will definitely receive some work, and we agree that Horses can take a few too many rounds at the moment. We've also learned through the Beta that you guys need more tools to deal with vehicles earlier, which we'll definitely look into (including a Gadget for the Support class which should help neutralize powerful vehicles).

I hope you all had a great time playing the Battlefield 1 Open Beta, and I can’t wait for October 21st to come around so you'll be able to see everything else the game has to offer. Who knows, maybe you’ll find yourself on my Squad in Battlefield 1.

I think they were in a bit of a catch 22 situation with Conquest. If they make it purely objective based then they have a chance of curtailing camped snipers and tanks a mile away from the battles just spamming kills and never capping points. However, without the loss of tickets from respawns, no one bothers to wait for revives and medics look a bit useless.

The only changes I'd like to see are slightly less accurate long ranged weapons and a greater sense of weight / less speed to those carrying heavy weapons. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd been looking at getting an Elite controller (£119) for the xbox-one and saw an argos offer for Battlefield One plus elite Controller for £124.99. I couldn't say no to that.

Is it worth picking up? Not interested in the single-player side of things

The beta was great and was only Conquest & Rush on the one map, Sinai Desert.

Everything I've seen since more information was allowed to be shared on YouTube just makes the game look even better.

The Operations game mode sounds fantastic and I look forward to giving it a crack next week.

I've not had the opportunity to play since my copy arrived on Friday afternoon.

Interested to hear the opinions of those who've been able to put some time into the full game since release.

• Upvote 1

I'm really enjoying it. I'm not much of a competitive FPS player (the only one I ever really got into was TF2), but this has such a great atmosphere that even getting destroyed isn't too bad. 

Not sure the campaign deserves the praise it's been getting, it seems more a case of appreciating the fact that it's not absolute dross or missing entirely as with Star Wars: Battlefront.

My only complaint is that the medal system is poor - you need to complete one of the criteria at a time, in order, and have a week to do it all. It all seems a bit constrictive, and designed to push you to keep playing.

I'm playing as Medic, largely because I still can't shoot for shit.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...