You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Europa League Semi Final 1st Leg - Villarreal away 28/4

Bjornebye

I was confident until this Sakho shit blew up. So much will depend on the performance of whoever replaces him. 

Attack will be our best form of defence, hopefully we can get an early one to quieten their fans. 

Shitting a brick though. Going out to these after beating the Mancs and Dortmund would be fucking sickening. 

The line up would be quite obvious now wouldn't it?

Mignolet

Toure

Lovren

Clyne

Moreno

Lucas

Allen

Milner

Lallana

Coutinho

Sturridge

Firmino could get a start in Lallana's or Sturridge's place but that'd be about it, as we haven't really got anyone else fit.

Villarreal are a very solid side. The type of team we normally struggle against as they don't usually look to play possession so it will be harder to press them. It's also difficult to tell if we are good enough to break them down. They are great at home, where they drew Barca and beat Madrid and Atletico.

Their main form of attack is the counter and we've struggled against that recently so I'm not too confident. That being said, if we can break them down and take a lead, I don't think they have it in them to take the game to us and put us under pressure.

Will go with a 1-1. 

I hope we didn't peak against Man Utd and Dortmund. This will be a harder tie than many anticipate. Villarreal are no mugs. Like everyone else I'm frustrated at losing the spine of the team - Origi, Can, Sakho. We were already a work in progress before losing that trio. 

We need to summon the same sort of intensity as the last two rounds to progress to the final. I'm nervous after the careless second half against Newcastle. If we do that again in the Europa, we're going out. 

I'm going for a cagey 1-1 in Spain. 

• Upvote 1

Mate of mine who watches a lot of la liga says that these are not unlike Leicester...a side we have struggled with big time this season...deep defensive line a standard 4-4-2 playing on the counter and not afraid to get it up the park quickly.

These sort of sides worry me and we always seem to struggle with them.

I don't really watch much and haven't seem them this season so don't know if he is right...he also mentioned west ham - a side we have really struggled with this season.

Mate of mine who watches a lot of la liga says that these are not unlike Leicester...a side we have struggled with big time this season...deep defensive line a standard 4-4-2 playing on the counter and not afraid to get it up the park quickly.

I don't really watch much and haven't seem them this season so don't know if he is right...he also mentioned west ham - a side we have really struggled with this season.

Glad we play them away first then when in theory they should take the initiatives.

I watched the Villarreal v Real Sociedad match last night. It was awful. The only players who stood out were Bakambu (fast, tricky, in the Vardy mould) and Denis Suarez (think Isco when Real Madrid played us at Anfield last season in the CL). That said, I didn't see how their defence played and the goalkeeper didn't really have that much to do.*

This is my crappy scouting report.

*This also means that their goalie will have an absolute blinder.

• Upvote 1

I watched the Villarreal v Real Sociedad match last night. It was awful. The only players who stood out were Bakambu (fast, tricky, in the Vardy mould) and Denis Suarez (think Isco when Real Madrid played us at Anfield last season in the CL). That said, I didn't see how their defence played and the goalkeeper didn't really have that much to do.*

This is my crappy scouting report.

*This also means that their goalie will have an absolute blinder.

That was an awful game last night mate, fair fucks to you for sitting through that shit, I thought it was just me an Pistonbroke who where daft enough to watch the whole thing.

That was an awful game last night mate, fair fucks to you for sitting through that shit, I thought it was just me an Pistonbroke who where daft enough to watch the whole thing.

I know it was only one game, and you won't learn anything from watching a team once. I thought I could at least get some idea of how they managed to be fourth in La Liga.  Nothing.

I watched that game as well, haven't they lost 4 out of their last 7?. Bakambu looked half decent but they do seem to be one of those compact well organised sides who we struggle to break down. No other player really stood out but apparently they were close to full strength. We should not be playing any regulars in that game on Sunday at Swansea either.

One of the Real Sociedad players got subbed near the end and must have took 2 minutes to walk off. I've seen pensioners on walking sticks shopping in Asda move faster.

The line up would be quite obvious now wouldn't it?

Mignolet

Toure

Lovren

Clyne

Moreno

Lucas

Allen

Milner

Lallana

Coutinho

Sturridge

Firmino could get a start in Lallana's or Sturridge's place but that'd be about it, as we haven't really got anyone else fit.

Firminio in for Lucas, with Milner and Allen holding mids.

We deservedly beat Leicester 1 – 0 at Anfield and, in the away fixture, were the better team in the first half before a Vardy wonder strike tilted the match in their favour.

Why have you described these performances as a “big time struggle”?

They were nothing of the sort.

In some ways it's depressing going into this tie with no Sakho, Hendo, Can and Origi. With the other injuries, we really are down to the bare bones. But after the Dortmund victory, I'm totally looking forward to our next European game. We can win this thing even with the injuries/drug suspensions. 

In some ways it's depressing going into this tie with no Sakho, Hendo, Can and Origi. With the other injuries, we really are down to the bare bones. But after the Dortmund victory, I'm totally looking forward to our next European game. We can win this thing even with the injuries/drug suspensions.

We can still put out a strong team and not have to throw a lot of kids in. Still probably have skrtel allen benteke on the bench.