You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a laptop

Dr Nowt

Asus are known for great build quality. The last laptop I had from them lasted about 7 years of being almost permanently switched on.

It should be fine for what you want.

Hope you haven't bought McAfee as part of the bundle though. It's shite. There's loads of free anti virus that are better.

If all you wanted to do was go on the internet watch videos and save pictures wouldn't a tablet been your thing (may have given a reason why not earlier haven't bothered to check).

Suppose it depends if you want a decent keyboard, have USB capabilities, have some stability while it's on your knee etc. Many chromebooks are around tablet prices anyway, it's just a question of what suits your individual needs, I don't think it's a right or wrong situation

Personally I've taken a view of spending a little more and getting a 2 in 1 with Windows 10. I can use my laptop as a normal functioning laptop (which I also use for work with office 365), but if I'm travelling etc, I can use it like a tablet. It doesn't have a rear camera though, so i can't really use it for photo's and videos etc, but I'm more than happy with my phone for that. My missus uses a chromebook as she wanted a static keyboard and my kids use tablets. I think they all fit each of our needs.

I'm waiting for the day I can get a phone powerful enough to run Windows 10 well and just be able to plug that into a screen and keyboard and it double as my mobile device and desktop. I think this is interesting http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/tablets-243002--1/hp-elite-x3, supposedly early next year they're bringing out a laptop screen/keyboard/battery and you just slot the phone in which provides the compute.

Suppose it depends if you want a decent keyboard, have USB capabilities, have some stability while it's on your knee etc. Many chromebooks are around tablet prices anyway, it's just a question of what suits your individual needs, I don't think it's a right or wrong situation

Personally I've taken a view of spending a little more and getting a 2 in 1 with Windows 10. I can use my laptop as a normal functioning laptop (which I also use for work with office 365), but if I'm travelling etc, I can use it like a tablet. It doesn't have a rear camera though, so i can't really use it for photo's and videos etc, but I'm more than happy with my phone for that. My missus uses a chromebook as she wanted a static keyboard and my kids use tablets. I think they all fit each of our needs.

I'm waiting for the day I can get a phone powerful enough to run Windows 10 well and just be able to plug that into a screen and keyboard and it double as my mobile device and desktop. I think this is interesting http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/tablets-243002--1/hp-elite-x3, supposedly early next year they're bringing out a laptop screen/keyboard/battery and you just slot the phone in which provides the compute.

After watching the most recent season of Black Mirror I wouldn't worry about a camera being part of the requirements. I have actually put tape over mine to obscure its lens.

• Upvote 1

When they can cram enough horsepower into one of those things it'd be ideal.

We're starting to see more laptops appearing (on the gaming side) with additional units to handle full size graphics cards and cooling so it'll be an excuse to rinse us for all the upgrade modules.

I've got a Surface Pro 4 and Microsoft are really upping there game with hardwate, the new Surface Studio looks amazing (despite the price)

Hope you haven't bought McAfee as part of the bundle though. It's shite. There's loads of free anti virus that are better.

I didn't. 

Can you recommend a free one that's good?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You may get your wish if rumours of Microsoft's Surface Phone are true.

Don't see the point if you need to dock to get anything significant done

Because it makes mobile working easier. Maybe it depends on your job, I spend lots of time with customers presenting etc, different work bases, generally having a working life where 1 desk isn't my home. The idea of being able to carry nothing but a phone would be great. If on occasion I need some type of laptop hub, that's a fine compromise for me. In my view, if there can come a point where your phone replaces your laptop and desktop, it delivers a better level of impact to business than the blackberry did in its day.

Because it makes mobile working easier. Maybe it depends on your job, I spend lots of time with customers presenting etc, different work bases, generally having a working life where 1 desk isn't my home. The idea of being able to carry nothing but a phone would be great. If on occasion I need some type of laptop hub, that's a fine compromise for me. In my view, if there can come a point where your phone replaces your laptop and desktop, it delivers a better level of impact to business than the blackberry did in its day.

I have very similar needs and am getting a Windows tablet as best solution for the moment (still addicted to excel and ppt in our company). Problem with the phone solution for me is that if I need to carry around a docking station and keyboard, then it doesn't help me to be more mobile. In fact, working on the move in cars, airports, airplanes and even hotdesking just becomes more problematic with accessories. Would love to carry just a phone but don't see how I will get there at the moment

I have very similar needs and am getting a Windows tablet as best solution for the moment (still addicted to excel and ppt in our company). Problem with the phone solution for me is that if I need to carry around a docking station and keyboard, then it doesn't help me to be more mobile. In fact, working on the move in cars, airports, airplanes and even hotdesking just becomes more problematic with accessories. Would love to carry just a phone but don't see how I will get there at the moment

so my understanding right now with the HP solution is simple. in your normal workspace - you attach the usb c connection to your phone, which spins off to the screen, keyboard and mouse. when mobile - if you want to present etc, this can all be done via usb c. if you need to work and the phablet screen is not sufficient, they have in effect a laptop without the compute/memory/disk power, you just slot in your phone. so i have plenty of time where i could leave the laptop behind and having a single device for everything, is just simpler from what I can see. I agree I think from a compute point of view, we are probably a little short right now, but it's heading in that direction, which i think is good.  i like the idea of putting my computer in my pocket and not having to carry a bag. 

Try connecting a smartphone to a Cisco switch or router to configure them !

I agree with where you're coming from in general use, but from an IT support position a laptop is indispensable.  Smartphones, tablets, netbooks etc just don't have the all round connectivity package that a laptop offers.

I agree with the carrying a bag too, mine is stuffed full of crap and is fucking heavy, not good for carrying distances !

so my understanding right now with the HP solution is simple. in your normal workspace - you attach the usb c connection to your phone, which spins off to the screen, keyboard and mouse. when mobile - if you want to present etc, this can all be done via usb c. if you need to work and the phablet screen is not sufficient, they have in effect a laptop without the compute/memory/disk power, you just slot in your phone. so i have plenty of time where i could leave the laptop behind and having a single device for everything, is just simpler from what I can see. I agree I think from a compute point of view, we are probably a little short right now, but it's heading in that direction, which i think is good.  i like the idea of putting my computer in my pocket and not having to carry a bag.

Unfortunately wouldn't work for me - I tend to travel overseas for a week at a time so I'd be carrying the accessories anyway.