You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a laptop

Dr Nowt

• 3 weeks later...

Dell business grade laptops refurbished on Ebay for value. Great build quality, better internals than what you'll get buying cheap new brand.

Did they peel them from the dead hands of the Wall Street Traders who committed suicide at the last market crash? If so,great idea. Its what they would have wanted and called entrepreneurship.

• Upvote 1

The lad wants a gaming pc/laptop, and I want one mainly for storing music so I'm looking at getting a laptop that will suit us both. Don't mind a reconditioned unit but don't know what to look for in regards to the gaming side of things. Do I need to look for anything specific?

You'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop PC.

For gaming, RAM & GPU are going to be the 2 standouts - The more the merrier. The more RAM the machine has, the more likely the processor will be of a higher spec, as they tend to go hand in hand.

Obviously it depends on what games your lad would be playing and what resolution he'd want to run them at, so the minimum specs I'd recommend would be:

Intel i5 processer (or quad core equivalent)

8Gb RAM

1Gb Graphics Card (dedicated, not integrated)

1Tb HDD

As an example, the below on offer for £499 from PC World would be a decent introductory gaming machine. You could then obviously upgrade components as necessary.

Empire Elite Gaming PC

The graphics card in that machine is a 2Gb card and retails for around £150 on its own.

If your lad is interested in building a machine, then there's starter kits you can buy, or you can simply shop around for the components you'd prefer.

I bought my younger brother all the components to build his first PC for his Christmas a couple of years back, and he loved building it, and is looking forward to his next build down the line.

As with any purchase of this kind of price, I'd always recommend shopping around first, and if possible getting yourself in store to get a feel of what you'll be buying, especially for pre built machines.

Cheers mate, I'll look into it. I don't need anything too hardcore, he's only 10 and just wants to play Minecraft and the like (not sure why seeing as he has it on Xbox). I'd prefer a laptop as I don't want the hassle of having a stationary unit taking up space.

Ah, if it's Minecraft then you don't necessarily need something overly powerful. (Minecraft on PC is far superior to the console versions, so many more mods and packs available).

A couple of examples from PC World's site again. Both have 8Gb RAM, which is more than sufficient for Minecraft.

Acer Aspire F5-571

Asus X555LA

Again, shop around the net for the best deal, and with laptops I'd highly recommend going in store to have a look & feel of a machine rather than just buy it blindly off the net. (You'll sometimes grab a deal in store that isn't advertised online).

Most laptops around the £500 budget are much of a muchness spec wise, it's the aesthetics and feel of the keyboard/trackpad that will differ between manufacturers .That, and pre-installed bloatware.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm looking for a laptop.

All I do on it is surf the net, watch videos on Youtube.  Just want it to be reliable and quick really.

I won't play games on it.  Might save some photos.

Looking to spend no more than £200.

I was thinking of this one as it has Windows 10 (is that worth getting? Or would I be better getting an earlier version of Windows and better Ram / processor for example?!), decent RAM for that budget.  Although I haven't really heard of Medion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medion-15-6-Inch-Celeron-Windows-without/dp/B0179K6EVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1477997587&sr=1-1

Does it look good or could I do better?

Any advice would be grateful.  Looking to order today ideally.

Thanks.

Edit - One thing I do want is a screen no smaller than 15'.

The only time I have ever seen anything made by Medion is when they are on sale in the Aldi by me. Not saying they are shite, most stuff has decent build quality these days, but it's the only place I've ever seen it.

They used to be rebadged lenovo's, or owned by Lenovo at least.

Don't know if they still are.

Now I'm really confused! Ha.

A chromebook is a laptop. But it runs Google Chrome OS operating system rather than Windows. My bird has one as all she does is read email and shopping. When I bought it, there were no low end windows laptops like there are today.

People do MS office online with chrome, but I think that's shite. So if you're browsing mostly and a bit of email, chrome is great (and I think you can run android apps now). But if you want to use microsoft office or play games, I don't think it would do the job.

I had one of those.  It exploded the first time I turned it on, burnt my right hand off leading to me spending 4 months in hospital and needing a prosthetic hand, my whole house caught fire and burned down the whole terrace where I live.  I wouldn't recommend it

Thought as much. Ha.