You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Garth Crooks Wisdom Thread

3 Stacks

Guest Pistonbroke

I said something similar Gordon, he would be a revelation. Like minds, as in both totally fucking mental.

If old one eye turned up in the States Trump would mistake him as that country singer. 

• 2 weeks later...

On Leicester

They can flirt with the Champions League all they want, but their Premier League status is what really matters. A point Ranieri apparently failed to understand.

On Schmeichel

What has been most impressive from the young keeper has been his honesty off the field around all the speculation involving Claudio Ranieri's departure. He fronted up for interviews and spoke with clarity and maturity about a very difficult situation, giving Leicester fans (and the public at large) some indication of what was happening behind the scenes.

On Wenger

Was Arsene Wenger waiting for Laurent Koscielny or Shkodran Mustafi to pull a white handkerchief from out of their shirt sleeve and wave it to the bench to signal that they couldn't cope?

On Stones

There is no doubt in my mind that Stones is growing into an excellent central defender.

On Bardsley

It was Phil Bardsley who stood out amongst the would-be assassins having taken a piece out of Costa earlier in the contest before totally disgracing himself with the sort of lunge on Cesc Fabregas normally associated with WWE.

On himself

I was never one for chasing lost causes because logic seemed to suggest the cause was lost.

On Michael Oliver

It was a fabulous game of football and, for once, referee Michael Oliver didn't do anything daft. 

On red cards

A sending-off offence is like sending a man to the gallows - you can't afford to get it wrong.

On Pogba

The only interesting feature about United's record signing these days are his meticulous haircuts. If the Frenchman put as much effort into his game as he does in his hair there's no telling what he could achieve.

• Upvote 2

Excellent stuff from the BBC's resident loon,

I like the gallows analogy for RC's. So much so I would like to see some players summarily hung from a gibbet in the centre circle for the more serious offences . It goes without saying that Costa and Herrera would be first up the steps.

I also find myself nodding in agreement at his Pogba comments . However just when you think there could be some redemption for the madcap he praises Oliver and strokes one out over Stones,  He remains a hopeless loon

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Big Sam

I sat behind the dugout at Stamford Bridge and marvelled at the performance by the manager. I saw Allardyce tell Luka Milivojevic in no uncertain terms not to stick his foot where it didn't belong after a first-half tackle on Eden Hazard. The manager wasn't prepared to countenance any self indulgence from any player who might undermine his plan.

[After the match], A beaming Allardyce came into the press room and said "I bet you weren't expecting that?" He got that right as well.

On Fernandinho

He's as safe as houses.

On Eric Dier

His goal against Burnley will do his confidence a power of good. I've not seen Dier smile in an interview for a long time.

On Slaven Bilic

Bilic has handled the difficult transition of moving to a new stadium brilliantly. He rid the club of the poisonous Dimitri Payet and almost certainly guaranteed the club another season in the best league in the world.

A fucking moronic opinion on the Merseyside derby

Ronald Koeman's disapproval of the Liverpool bench's insistence that the referee must issue a card every time a foul is committed was justified. Please let us not descend to coaching staff trying to get players sent off. Referees don't tell them how to do their job.

On Shawcross

Ryan Shawcross's tackle on Gray reminded me of Manchester United's Nobby Stiles' tackle on Eusebio in the 1968 European Cup final at Wembley. It should have been a red just for the cheek of it!

On Zaha

May I suggest that Zaha, having had a disappointing period at Manchester United, takes a pause before considering White Hart Lane. Another season at Crystal Palace under the tutelage of Allardyce may be more beneficial to his overall development.

Spurs have enough Fancy Dans in their line-up without adding to them.

On Big Sam

I sat behind the dugout at Stamford Bridge and marvelled at the performance by the manager. I saw Allardyce tell Luka Milivojevic in no uncertain terms not to stick his foot where it didn't belong after a first-half tackle on Eden Hazard. The manager wasn't prepared to countenance any self indulgence from any player who might undermine his plan.

What the fuck is he on?