You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Klopp fixed our defence?

Gnasher

Klopp has never been particularly outstanding as a defensive coach but he understands that it is one of a number of essential things needed to win games,and hopefully trophies. I think he's more of an 'Attack from the back' (oooerrr missus!) kind of manager.

Saw the Dortmund v Bayern game last night and Dortmund's game in midweek and although Weidenfeller was never a great keeper,he still looks much better than Burki,who Tuchel brought in. Point is that the keeper doesnt have to be outstanding but the whole defensive set up does.

You can't really get worse than Rodgers defensively really. You're talking about someone who evidently didn't believe in the concept of a defensive midfielder. Put it this way. Carragher knew it was time to retire as soon as Rodgers got his mits on things.

"What's our plan to handle ronaldo boss?"

"Just go out there and express yourselves"

• Upvote 1

Our defence has been shit for years.

However in the last five games we've only let in one goal, against man city in the cup final that was an individual error by ming/moreno.

The back four has also not been settled in any of those five,

Villa 6-0

Ausberg 0-0

Ausberg 1-0

Man City 1-1

Many City 3-0

Shakho, Toure,Lucas,Lovren have all played at centre half in one or more of those games. Clyne, Milner, Moreno, Flanno all had a go at full back.

Maybe the Germans organisational skills and training drills are starting to work.

Add two more clean sheets to that list.

I am not sure a defense is ever truly 'fixed', but it is evident these past few weeks that our defensive work is much improved. I have noticed it a few times in recent games that the whole team seem to be much quicker at getting the defensive shape in place once possession is lost. It was something that Benitez had us doing brilliantly during his time at the club, and I see similarities with what Klopp - and/or his coaching team - have got us doing now. Great to see.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

No,but he only actually bought one of the defence which played on Sunday. This indicates to me that he either prefers to concentrate on the attack side of the team more or he wont overhaul the defence due to lack of cash or too much upheaval at once. He has so much faith in it that he actually prefers Lucas at CH sometimes! My own personal opinion is that our current defensive problems are,in part at least,down to a goalkeeper who isnt of the style needed to command the players in front. His distribution skills are poor and he naturally fears coming too far from his goal. This is at odds with how we tend to play as a team.

No,but he only actually bought one of the defence which played on Sunday. This indicates to me that he either prefers to concentrate on the attack side of the team more or he wont overhaul the defence due to lack of cash or too much upheaval at once. He has so much faith in it that he actually prefers Lucas at CH sometimes! My own personal opinion is that our current defensive problems are,in part at least,down to a goalkeeper who isnt of the style needed to command the players in front. His distribution skills are poor and he naturally fears coming too far from his goal. This is at odds with how we tend to play as a team.

Well he's keeping both keepers by the looks of it.

A lot of the goals we concede are 2nd or 3rd balls after the initial corner and you see our players standing in their zone from the set piece. It's like they don't know when the zonal bit is over.

He has bought a good defender, on a free. We just need another five or six now. 

Arguably the team isn't that far away from being really good -

New Keeper

New Right Back - Matip - New Centre Back - New Left Back

New Holding Midfielder

New Central Midfielder - Coutinho

Mane - New Striker - New Wide Forward

Bench - 

New Keeper

New Centre Back

New Fullback

Milner

Lallana

Firmino

New Striker

So we only really need about 12 signings for the match day squad, maybe a couple more to pad out the squad.

• Upvote 1

New Keeper

New Holding Midfielder

Bench -

New Keeper

New Centre Back

New Fullback

Milner

Lallana

Firmino

New Striker

Don't know what Klopp's thinking with that lineup. I see New Striker has deigned to join the bench today, malingering twat.

• Upvote 1

New Keeper

New Holding Midfielder

Bench -

New Keeper

New Centre Back

New Fullback

Milner

Lallana

Firmino

New Striker

So we only really need about 12 signings for the match day squad, maybe a couple more to pad out the squad.

I share your positivity.

• Downvote 1

New Keeper

New Holding Midfielder

Bench - 

New Keeper

New Centre Back

New Fullback

Milner

Lallana

Firmino

New Striker

I share your positivity.

Seconded.

The defence obviously isn't fixed at all.

I think a top partner for Matip, plus a midfielder who will play in front of them and mop everything up that comes our way, and we will be significantly better. Get that little triangle working and we will be way more solid. Then our attacking players can do their thing and hopefully we won't need them to score three every game to get the points!

I can't see the goalkeeper situation changing for the time being. Mignolet is doing better. Karius will be given another chance at some point. Ward will come back.

Clyne is OK and I like Milner. The latter could be improved upon, but there's a lot to like about Milner and he's worth his place in the side for me.

The defence isn't fixed, but getting that little triangle in place will reap big dividends, in my view. It will be a slight alteration of the balance of the side, but we will still have plenty of players piling forward to do their thing. It's just they need something a bit more solid behind them.