You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Klopp fixed our defence?

Gnasher

Our defence has been shit for years.

However in the last five games we've only let in one goal, against man city in the cup final that was an individual error by ming/moreno.

The back four has also not been settled in any of those five,

Villa 6-0

Ausberg 0-0

Ausberg 1-0

Man City 1-1

Many City 3-0

Shakho, Toure,Lucas,Lovren have all played at centre half in one or more of those games. Clyne, Milner, Moreno, Flanno all had a go at full back.

Maybe the Germans organisational skills and training drills are starting to work.

• Upvote 1

He has, I reckon. By playing 2 holding midfielders, and playing them way back he's managed to reduce options for the opposition, but at the cost of isolating our front three.

We haven't been as dodgy on set pieces either, at least in these last few.

• Upvote 1

No, Jimmy Cranky could score a against us.

Rogers fucked up the defence, it was boss under rafa and Houllier - that's why I loved them so much possibly, because I remember the keystone cops of the Evans era.

The likes of Auguro and Silva only put one past us in 220 minutes of football and that was an individual error.

We have started to look tighter since the Norwich game. Although having a keeper like Mignolet we will always have hairy moments. There definitely has been a positive change with defending overall since Klopp has come in.

I think improvements have come from the pressing up the park he makes them do, the lads at the back still look disorganised, they do actually clatter into each other reasonably often too. I think they're pretty dense though as players and you can't really coach that, they just need dropkicking post haste.  

I think improvements have come from the pressing up the park he makes them do, the lads at the back still look disorganised, they do actually clatter into each other reasonably often too. I think they're pretty dense though as players and you can't really coach that, they just need dropkicking post haste.  

I think the dense thing is a problem throughout the squad. Watching us trying to close out the game against Augsburg last week was fucking painful. We didn't look like conceding but every player on the park was making errors and not doing a simple thing. It usually ends up starting from Moreno though.

It's improving but not fixed. I would consider 'fixed' to be a new keeper, a settled central defensive pairing, probably Matip and one other; and an upturn in form from Moreno, or a replacement. When that lot comes together and plays as a unit, keeping plenty of clean sheets, it will be fixed.

In the meantime it is definitely improving. It's an astute observation to attribute some of the improvement to the pressing up front. This is a good point. When teams have freedom to build the play, we are put under a lot of pressure and our fragile and leaky back line retreats and concedes. But by harassing the other team at their end, it's actually the first line of defence.

This is something Rushie knew all too well. Klopp would have loved him.

• Upvote 1

He has to a large extent imo, at least on the tactical side. Stats-wise, we are one of the teams who give away the fewest number of clear-cut chances in-game since he's been here. Our weak point has been set-pieces but even there rarely have we conceded due to opposition players being left unmarked. Instead, it's often our players merely getting beat to the ball, largely due to the fact that Rodgers has assembled a bunch of players who are either midgets or lack the aggressivity to win aerial duels on a consistent basis. Not much a manager can do about that until he get the chance to address that in the transfer market, which Klopp has arguably already started doing when you consider how tall Matip, Grujic and Caulker are. And, the rest of the goals we have conceded have usually come from individual mistakes, usually Mignolet's.

One thing that can still be improved tactically and which Klopp already pointed to after the final is that we open up too much when attacking. This is largely due to Moreno and Clyne constantly bombing forward for no reason, when only one of them should be doing so based on which side the game is developing. But, we've already seen the improvement with Flanagan, who does a much better job of picking the right moments to overlap.

• Upvote 2

Not sure. We still look nervous on every free kick and corner. Im kind of surprised moreno hasnt been dropped sooner, I think everyone in the ground could see this was a necessary action. Even enrique who's been shunned for some reason would turn in a better defensive performance than him.

• Upvote 2

Fixed no. Improved, possibly by playing two deeper midfielders as stated by someone above. I think we're more or less as shit as we have been on set pieces, but have gotten away with it for a few games due to luck. Take Agueros unchallenged header the other night that hit Milner, there have still been too many of those.

It's improving but not fixed. I would consider 'fixed' to be a new keeper, a settled central defensive pairing, probably Matip and one other; and an upturn in form from Moreno, or a replacement. When that lot comes together and plays as a unit, keeping plenty of clean sheets, it will be fixed.

In the meantime it is definitely improving. It's an astute observation to attribute some of the improvement to the pressing up front. This is a good point. When teams have freedom to build the play, we are put under a lot of pressure and our fragile and leaky back line retreats and concedes. But by harassing the other team at their end, it's actually the first line of defence.

This is something Rushie knew all too well. Klopp would have loved him.

Pardon my French Rev, but you can't polish a turd.

Even in games were he hasn't directly responsible for a goal against us, he's come close. The only reason he didn't concede a penalty against Villa was the ineptitude of the referee. He's worth an easy 10 goals minimum a season - for the opposition.Putting him in front of Mignolet only increases Mignolets indecision and nervousnous.

And before you clart on about "the attacking threat he offers". he's scored less goals this season than Kolo but I've lost track of how many times he's been standed, usually on his arse, near the wrong end of the pitch whilst the opposition takes full advantage and the rest of our defence go into panic mode.

I don't know what Jose Enrique did to Rodgers to get frozen out, but I certainly don't think his absence was of his own volition.He would offer more than Moreno - I'm not saying he's the answer, just be a better left back. Stop leaking goals from the fullback position, then worry about scoring.

Flanno offers more than either of them and I be quite happy to see he and Clyne start on a regular basis.

Our defence has been shit for years.

However in the last five games we've only let in one goal, against man city in the cup final that was an individual error by ming/moreno.

The back four has also not been settled in any of those five,

Villa 6-0

Ausberg 0-0

Ausberg 1-0

Man City 1-1

Many City 3-0

Shakho, Toure,Lucas,Lovren have all played at centre half in one or more of those games. Clyne, Milner, Moreno, Flanno all had a go at full back.

Maybe the Germans organisational skills and training drills are starting to work.

I think we ve improved but its not fixed. too many different combos at centre back. when we have a settled central.defensive partnership and a goals against thats under 40 in a season then we can say its being fixed.