You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Sunderland 2 (Feb 6 2016)

tlw content

sunderlandreport2.jpg

Report by Dave Usher at Anfield (for 77 minutes anyway)

Is it worth even mentioning the match? I suppose I have to given this technically is a "match report", so I’ll get that out of the way as quickly as possible before getting to the important stuff. We played ok, at least we did for the time I was in the stadium.

Apparently it all quickly went tits up after that, but the vast majority of fans who had left won’t have even been particularly bothered as there was more at stake on Saturday than trying to hold onto 8th spot. Even those who were bothered won't have been surprised.

We’ve come to expect such levels of under-achievement from this team now. It’s almost as predictable as the continued piss taking from greedy owners and chief executives. More on that in a bit though.

Basically the first half was awful. The lively Moreno had a couple of chances, one which the keeper saved with his feet and another he awkwardly headed over because he refuses to use his right foot for anything other than standing on. Firmino hit one just over the bar from the edge of the box but generally it was attack v defence and defence was winning.

The second half was better, particularly after we scored as you could see the confidence start to come back in the team. Milner’s cross was a beauty and Firmino finished it well. The Brazilian was back in "Poundland Suarez" mode again and was by far the best player on the pitch. If he ever finds any sort of consistency then he’ll be ace, but in truth he’s just as likely to stink at Villa Park next week as he is to play well.

He did brilliantly to create the second goal for Lallana soon afterwards and that should have been goodnight Sunderland. I left the ground at 2-0 and I got back to the car just in time to put the radio on and hear Defoe’s equaliser. Having since seen it on TV, that first goal was a joke. Mignolet completely screwed up the positioning of his wall and then he allowed a tame shot to squirm past him.

THAT is the reason they blew the game, it has nothing to do with us walking out because, let’s face it, this group of players have made a habit of this kind of thing. And if you do believe the fans were responsible, then that just shows what we know anyway; "Football without fans is nothing". Once Sunderland pulled one back it was inevitable a second would follow. Sakho’s attempt at preventing Defoe turning and shooting was schoolboy-like. Unfortunately he’s not been very good at all since coming back from injury.

Had Mignolet not allowed them back into it though I highly doubt the second goal happens. It was a collective shitting of pants that came about because the keeper gave Sunderland a glimmer of hope. I’ve defended Mignolet more than most, but it’s getting out of hand now and I really hope to see Danny Ward against West Ham this week. 

We’re down to 9th now and heading in the wrong direction. No-one would be surprised if we lost at Villa next week and we’re only 3 points ahead of 12th spot now. You look at how fucking shite we are and have to wonder just how these owners (and that slimy sellout twat Ayre) have the balls to charge us top level prices to watch mid table shite. Because that’s what we are, mid-table shite. I honestly don’t even think we’ll be in the top half come May, especially as we’ll have to start prioritising the cups. That’s not even the point though, even if we were riding high at the top of the table these prices would not be acceptable.

The extra TV money coming in this year should see clubs across the board slashing prices because they’d be no worse off if they did. Maybe some other clubs will do that, but ours don’t plan to. So you have to ask the question, just what are they planning on doing with all that extra money? It’ll be more of the same.

The gobshites they employ to oversee transfers will buy more shit players (although hopefully Klopp’s presence will mean they aren’t ALL shite this year), they’ll pay them even more out of control wages than before and they’ll be boxing off all those cunt agents with yet more millions for facilitating these terrible deals.

This isn’t a case of FSG keeping the TV money for themselves, that’s not what they’re about. They aren’t in it for the quick buck, they’re in it for the slow one. If we continue to let them they’ll rinse us for as much as possible in as many ways as possible to raise the value of their investment until they can get maximum profit when the time is right to sell. That’s not a secret, they’re a hedge fund, its what they do.

They had a chance to do the right thing this summer, to give a little back while still ensuring they still made money and increased the value of the club. Instead they just said “let’s charge as much as we think we can realistically get away with and then spin it so not only do the idiots not know they’re getting fleeced, but they actually think we’re doing them a favour”. How else do you explain the official site’s leading story being about the £9 tickets and the free kids ones? They think we’re thick, and unfortunately some of us are. You only have to look at some of the horrendous shite being spouted by some deluded fuckwits on social media to see that.

Thankfully in this day and age there are enough platforms for those who can see through the bullshit and crunch the numbers themselves to be able to get the message out. It’s not as easy to pull the wool over supporters eyes as it once was, and that led us to what happened on Saturday.

The second half was just surreal. It felt like everyone was just clock watching waiting to see what happened on 77 minutes. It was all going swimmingly as Lallana’s goal had looked to have made the game safe and perhaps made it easier for any waverers to walk out. At 0-0 some may have felt guilty about “abandoning the team” when the game was in the balance, but at 2-0 that 'dilemma' was removed. Personally it wouldn’t have bothered me in the slightest what the score was, there’s a much bigger picture here. I was walking out no matter what and I’d do it without even the tiniest little shred of guilt or regret.

The build up to the 77th minute was great. A chant of “out the ground on 77” was followed by a rousing YNWA and then an even more belting “you greedy bastards, enough is enough” that was taken up by lots around the stadium. Still, what was going to happen when the time came? 

I knew it would get a good response but wasn’t sure just how good it would be. My worry was that the Kop would walk out and most of the rest of the ground would stay put, which would have seriously pissed me off as the lads and lasses on the Kop aren’t even being hit by the increase, it’s the rest of us. If they’re walking on our behalf then the least the rest of us could do is to follow suit. When the clock hit 77, loads of us where I sit in the Main Stand got up and walked out. There were plenty who stayed though.

I’d already decided beforehand I was going to respect people’s decision and not pass comment to those who stayed behind and I didn’t, even though it was exasperating to see. My Dad on the other hand, did appeal to some on his way out to “show some character and stick together”. He wasn't abusive, more imploring than anything, but it fell on deaf ears and most of those I saw who stayed were just looking very sheepish. And so they should.

Look, people have paid their money and can do what they like. I (kind of) respect their right to do that and I’m not not angry with them, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit disappointed. I don’t know what people’s reasons were for staying but I can only speculate that it was one of the following:

* They wanted to get their money’s worth.

* They wanted to stay and support the team and don’t agree with leaving early.

* They felt it was a waste of time and wasn’t going to achieve anything

* They’re quite happy to pay whatever prices FSG charge because they can afford to do it, so screw everyone else.

I can’t think of any other reasons, but if I’ve overlooked any then please let me know as I’m genuinely curious as to why so many people didn’t take part. I know a shitload of us did and that 10,000 or 15,000 or however many it was is a hell of a statement. 40,000 would have been an even bigger one though, don’t you think? We'd probably be looking at £30 a ticket next year if that had happened.

Looking at those possible reasons for staying, I just don’t see in any real merit in any of them. I realise that some people’s situations are different to others, and if you’ve travelled a long way for your first game or your one game a season or whatever, it’s not easy walking out. I get that, I do. Similarly, if you’re taking your kid to their first game or something then it’s a difficult decision to make.

In those situations it is understandable that you wouldn’t want to leave early, but equally is it really that big a sacrifice to make for the greater good of your fellow fans? I don’t think it is, but maybe that’s just me. To be fair I’m not in that situation as I go all the time, so it’s easier for me to walk out as I know I’ll be there next time (unless there’s calls for a boycott in which I won’t be).

“Why should I not see the full game, I’ve paid enough for it”. Yeah you have, which is entirely the point. If you’re not happy about ticket prices but you didn’t walk out, you’re allowing the rest of us to make sacrifices on YOUR behalf as well as our own.

Maybe you don’t agree with a walk out and would have preferred another method of demonstration? That’s fine, you might be well be right, but a walk out is what people came up with so whether you think it’s the right way to do it or not, why not just support it anyway because that’s the only way we can make a difference? If you aren’t prepared to make a stand then you’re effectively telling the club that they can continue acting the cunt and you won’t do a thing about it.

“Stay and support the team”. Right, that would be the group of sub standard players who are paid millions of pounds a year, partly funded by the money we spend on tickets, many of whom won’t give a flying fuck about the struggles fans have to attend games. They’re part of the problem. Them and their leech agents.

Ticket prices started going up when players wages did. That was fine at first, they deserved to be paid a lot more than they had been but over the last decade it’s just completely gotten out of hand, with 100k a week salaries now commonplace for players who are often just decent at best. 

Stay and support them? Some of you did that on Saturday and how’d it work out for ya? They get more than enough support, but who is supporting the fans? No-one, except ourselves. And not even all of us are doing that.

The worst thing about this whole episode is there were fans who weren’t prepared to walk out on 77 minutes in solidarity with the rest of us, yet were off like shit off a stick when Sunderland equalised. That’s a disgrace, as are those who “stayed to support the team” only to then boo them at full time.

(It shouldn't need clarifying, but just in case it does, I'm not labelling those who chose to stay to support the team and didn't boo with either of the above groups of turds.)

“It’s a waste of time, it won’t achieve anything as we’ve already given them our money” - Well it has achieved something, they’re absolutely shitting themselves and we’ve got them on the run. How far it goes depends on how far we are now willing to take it, and also how many of us are prepared to get involved.

It was never about hitting them in the pocket on Saturday anyway, it was about showing what can happen if they don't listen. Together we’re strong, divided we’re weak. Even if you think it’s a fight we can’t win, you owe it to yourselves and the rest of us to fight anyway.

If your attitude is that you can afford it so you don’t care about anyone else, well then you’re supporting the wrong club.

I’m proud that I walked out and I’m proud of all of those who I walked out with. Believe it or not, that’s the best I’ve felt leaving Anfield in 18 months. It felt good to be a part of something like that, it was empowering and I genuinely feel sorry for those who thought staying behind was the right thing to do, because not only did they have to watch the team capitulate, but they missed out on something special. Those of you reading this who walked out know exactly what I’m saying, because you felt it too. We all did, the feeling of unity and defiance was almost palpable.

“Enough is enough” was being belted out defiantly as people poured out onto Anfield Road and Walton Breck Road, and we all knew that a message had been sent. We’d achieved something, how big that achievement turns out to be we don’t know yet, but it was something and it felt fucking good.

What makes it all the more impressive is that all this happened with just a few days notice. Supporters groups can use social media now to get the word out and rally the troops, and to have so many people walk out of the stadium was a real achievement for fan power. For too long we’ve just meekly accepted this shit, thinking there’s nothing we can do about it. But there is something we can do. We can fight, and if enough of us stick together we can win.

Please note that Match Reports are usually only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 35

I gave my season ticket in 2003 but I watch every game, on 77 mins I was well pissed off when seeing the amount of fans that stayed. Just what are/were they thinking? I just can't get my head around it. Fucking shithouses. As Dave said, some stayed behind to boo! I hate our support (if you can call it that) these days. The ones that stayed are tantamount to 'scabs' in my eyes. Whatever happened to us all sticking together for the greater good. Wouldn't like all them 'scabs' to work in my place of work when pay negotiations come around. They'd accept whatever shit deal was on the table as they're gutless & not willing to fight for anything.

• Upvote 2

Next thing is demand an end to the fucking transfer committee. Let the manager buy the players he wants. I'm sick of this moneyball shite as is every other fucker so let's put it in the ground.

Not a bad idea that. All walk out on 32 1/2 mins to signify the Benteke transfer fee. The following week 25 mins (Lallana fee) etc etc. We can but dream

How about a silent protest? no singing no chanting no clapping. Nothing, but silence....Also no one wearing anything club related, no replica shirts scarves or any banners.....Then were would the yanks get there famous anfield atmosphere from?

What famous atmosphere?

I didnt walk out the ground and here's why.

Everyone knows ticket prices are too high, everyone thinks the tv money shouldnt just be used to line the pockets of players and agents and instead, the fans should see some reduction in costs.

Im in full agreement with this.

Much as Id love my seasie to cost 19 times 30 quid, it aint going to happen. Both sides, fans and clubs, have got to be realistic in their objectives. I dont know what that equilibrium price is but negotiations should come to some agreement.

Our club is one of the majority (arent only everton the only club to vote fo it?) of PL clubs not to cap away tickets.

I didnt walk out because I think SOS and Spoin Kop 1906 took a blunt instrument far too soon in the battle. LFC came out and said what their pricing structure was to be. SOS and SP1906 should, in my opinion, have approached the club for talks. They should have told the club they would organise a boycott off or during a game if no resolution could be found.

instead, Sos and SP1906 went straight for the walk out. I honestly dont think that's right. In any event, I think its totally unrealistic to expect LFC to unilaterally reduce ticket prices, whether that but a tenner, or 20 quid. This action needs to be mobilised across all premier league clubs.

Although not at the time, Im now concerned there's a groundswell of people who want ownership change. People singing 'get out of our club' isnt a few people who didnt know the words so sang the cowboys song. People firing off emails to the clubs sponsors isnt a spontaneous unthought out action.

I read a comment from someone complaining the owners 'havent spent their own money' for the club.  I just dont get the mentality of people like that.

If people want to go down the change of ownership route, that's their right but not one I'll support.

To all the fans slagging people off who did stay in the ground Id say a couple of things. speaking for myself, I dont see myself as a superior fan because I stayed in the ground, neither do i see the fans who did walk out as supporting the team any less. I didnt stay because I dont support the ticket reduction aims.

I stayed because I want to see negotiation with the club, not confrontation which is where I think we are headed. Bickering clubs win fuck all, Ive seen it time after time after time in all leagues. I dont think the sun shines out the owners arse but neither do I see them as greedy bastards siphoning money out of the club like some owners have done.

But the biggest point Id make is this. A one sided argument isnt a debate. And that's what's need to solve this, a debate.

I respect everyone's right to walk out or stay. But please dont call me a 'fucking shithouse' for having a different point of view to you. Otherwise we wont just be fans against the owners, we'll be fans against fans and that will just about finish me with football if that happens at this club.

• Upvote 2

Everyone knows ticket prices are too high, everyone thinks the tv money shouldnt just be used to line the pockets of players and agents and instead, the fans should see some reduction in costs.

Much as Id love my seasie to cost 19 times 30 quid, it aint going to happen. Both sides, fans and clubs, have got to be realistic in their objectives. I dont know what that equilibrium price is but negotiations should come to some agreement.

Our club is one of the majority (arent only everton the only club to vote fo it?) of PL clubs not to cap away tickets.

I didnt walk out because I think SOS and Spoin Kop 1906 took a blunt instrument far too soon in the battle. LFC came out and said what their pricing structure was to be. SOS and SP1906 should, in my opinion, have approached the club for talks. They should have told the club they would organise a boycott off or during a game if no resolution could be found.

instead, Sos and SP1906 went straight for the walk out. I honestly dont think that's right. In any event, I think its totally unrealistic to expect LFC to unilaterally reduce ticket prices, whether that but a tenner, or 20 quid. This action needs to be mobilised across all premier league clubs.

Although not at the time, Im now concerned there's a groundswell of people who want ownership change. People singing 'get out of our club' isnt a few people who didnt know the words so sang the cowboys song. People firing off emails to the clubs sponsors isnt a spontaneous unthought out action.

I read a comment from someone complaining the owners 'havent spent their own money' for the club. I just dont get the mentality of people like that.

If people want to go down the change of ownership route, that's their right but not one I'll support.

To all the fans slagging people off who did stay in the ground Id say a couple of things. speaking for myself, I dont see myself as a superior fan because I stayed in the ground, neither do i see the fans who did walk out as supporting the team any less. I didnt stay because I dont support the ticket reduction aims.

I stayed because I want to see negotiation with the club, not confrontation which is where I think we are headed. Bickering clubs win fuck all, Ive seen it time after time after time in all leagues. I dont think the sun shines out the owners arse but neither do I see them as greedy bastards siphoning money out of the club like some owners have done.

But the biggest point Id make is this. A one sided argument isnt a debate. And that's what's need to solve this, a debate.

I respect everyone's right to walk out or stay. But please dont call me a 'fucking shithouse' for having a different point of view to you. Otherwise we wont just be fans against the owners, we'll be fans against fans and that will just about finish me with football if that happens at this club.

top post.

The fans groups had 13 months of what they thought were negotiations with the club, only for the club to just go ahead and do what they wanted to anyway.

Those groups then made requests for more meetings and were blanked, so they took action.

The stance you're taking just plays right into their hands, they're laughing their cocks off at you.

• Upvote 10

The fans groups had 13 months of what they thought were negotiations with the club, only for the club to just go ahead and do what they wanted to anyway.

Those groups then made requests for more meetings and were blanked, so they took action.

The stance you're taking just plays right into their hands, they're laughing their cocks off at you.

That was the club's in house fan forums that was involved in the 13 month review wasnt it? Was SOS and SP1906 involved with that?

I read a comment from someone complaining the owners 'havent spent their own money' for the club. I just dont get the mentality of people like that.

Not sure whether you are aware but my understanding is that there had been 'negotiations' with fans representative groups for some time prior to the announcement about the price rises. The club owners have decided to raise prices anyway regardless of fan input and in spite of the billions coming their way from TV deals next year! Even 'too much' is still not enough for these snakes in suits.

But maybe you are right and nothing will ever change and the fleecing must go on and on with higher and higher prices forever.

Perhaps it's time to think about building a new club 'a little further out west' (just like the founding fathers in the US constitution suggested for the American people to do if the Republic they tried to create ever degenerated into a failed state)?

Fair enough, Im happy to be corrected.

Id love to pay 30 quid a game on my seasie but its unrealistic to expect Liverpool to be the only club in the league to price like that. Thats why I said it needs to be mobilised across all clubs.

“For us, it is unequivocal: this is the start,” said Jay McKenna, the chair of Spirit of Shankly, the supporters’ union that helped to organise Saturday’s protest. “We don’t have a firm idea of what we will do yet as this has all happened very quickly, so we will take the next two days to take stock and talk to the supporters about what we do next.

“But we will be taking action because we need to. We really need Liverpool Football Club, the owners, and the executives to think to themselves: ‘Is this the right approach?’”

the bit about we dont know what we ll do next is the problem I think. people are saying if 40000 had ve walked out then fsg would have shit themselves may or may not be true but as big an impact as 10000 walking out has had if they d taken their time and organised it for the next home game or the one after they could have got nearly everyone out.

this protest has made it headline news and every red must know about it now but whether this is all thats needed or its the start of a series of protests depends on what fsg come back with.

Fair enough, Im happy to be corrected.

Id love to pay 30 quid a game on my seasie but its unrealistic to expect Liverpool to be the only club in the league to price like that. Thats why I said it needs to be mobilised across all clubs.

But someone has to start the ball rolling or it will never happen. As I said in the report, imagine the reaction if everyone had walked out on Saturday. Other fans would look at it and want to do something of their own.

The only way change will happen is if we force it.

• Upvote 1

It's also worth mentioning that it won't be a nationwide thing because not everyone is being ripped off. My brother in law pays £350 for his season ticket at Sunderland and £95 for his lad's. I sat next to them when we played there the other week and my ticket cost £10. Their seat was better than mine in the Main Stand (there was no post obscuring the view) and the facilities are way better (obviously the new stand will hopefully change that).

Why would sunderland fans want to protest when their prices are reasonable? A lot of clubs are in that position too, it's not as though every club is charging stupid prices because some of them know they can't.

Great report, you are damned right about the feeling leaving the stadium, they've milked us for far too long and we have had enough. 

I've been banging on for ages about paying champagne money for pommagne football, you can't then put prices up. We are a mid table team at the moment as far as football s concerned but a top three side when it comes to ticket prices. 

The pressure has been building up for a few years now. Watching us piss money away on shit footballers (I'm looking at you Mario) then loaning them out while paying their wages. Just one of those fools not signed could have achieved a £30 ticket price. I am pretty sure a happy crowd paying £30 a game would contribute more than most of the deadbeats we have signed, over a season. Unless of course we all damaged our hamstrings.

I am happy to walk out again if I have to, the club didn't think that many would and already had Ayre ready to spin his bullshit tonight. Luckily a hell of a lot did and we are now at the stage where the club might realise that they might have pushed us too far.

Also, staying to support your team but boo'ing them off at the end is disgraceful. Probably the same people that stop and clap half way through YNWA. 

• Upvote 1

It's also worth mentioning that it won't be a nationwide thing because not everyone is being ripped off. My brother in law pays £350 for his season ticket at Sunderland and £95 for his lad's. I sat next to them when we played there the other week and my ticket cost £10. Their seat was better than mine in the Main Stand (there was no post obscuring the view) and the facilities are way better (obviously the new stand will hopefully change that).

Why would sunderland fans want to protest when their prices are reasonable? A lot of clubs are in that position too, it's not as though every club is charging stupid prices because some of them know they can't.

sunderland people built their stadium. the fans names are on bricks all the way around it. ours is being built with money borrowed from owners of a world wide brand.

it only takes ellis short to sell up to the wrong owner and suddenly its london prices in the north east.

theres hardly a club in the country doesnt have a gripe with their owners. if it's not tickets it's relegation or not spending money or spending too much money and bankrupting the club or we cant speak out about the owner because we didnt exist before him or we re operating totally in the deep red but its ok the club is valued at more than our debt or our owner is running us like a business, players are stock bought low sold high.

we re watford we love our owners. long may that continue watford.

the message has to be made clear to every club in the country that it might not be you at the minute but it could be very easily so get something in place now so you cant get fucked over down the line.

Eventually it's going to take regulation to ensure that a percentage of TV money give to clubs goes to reduce ticket prices. I wouldn't expect that for a long time, too many feeding at the trough. 

Most of that TV money will go straight to that useless shower of shite on the pitch and their agents, they don't give a shit about us either. I'm not surprised they capitulated after we walked out, they know deep down that they are a huge part of the current problem. 

• Upvote 1