You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some Excel help

Lee909

Yes i know must 6 year olds can do this shit but i cant and im coming close to pouring coke down the back of the machine.

Some twats fucked up our delivery spreadsheey. We enter the figures in collums gor delivery it adds them up,simple. So how to i get the numbers in collum B and C to add up in collum D. I know its simple but so am I when it comes to PC. If this was total war id be kicking arse but excel i dont have a clue

• 1 year later...

I'm importing a payslip file into excel as .txt or .csv

All the data is going into one column and I don't think I can use data to columns using space as delimiter as there are too many spaces.

I need employee no, ni number, name, initials, tax code and ytd figures.

Is there a way I can do this other than just cut and paste?

Depending on the number of records you could try fixed width, space out the columns (the first few and last few should be easy) then go in and tidy the name columns up.

You might have to tidy up a few other columns but using 'left' 'right' or 'mid' functions should help with some of it.

Depending on the number of records you could try fixed width, space out the columns (the first few and last few should be easy) then go in and tidy the name columns up.

You might have to tidy up a few other columns but using 'left' 'right' or 'mid' functions should help with some of it.

400 odd

if it's a csv then use the commas to separate the values, that's why they are there:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Text-Import-Wizard-c5b02af6-fda1-4440-899f-f78bafe41857?ui=en-US&rs=en-AU&ad=AU

I'm assuming he doesn't have commas or tabs or anything other than spaces.

He could use the spaces and then use concatenate to fix the data.

I'm assuming he doesn't have commas or tabs or anything other than spaces.

He could use the spaces and then use concatenate to fix the data.

Fair enough, I was only making the assumption that if h can output to CSV then the application would be using comma separated values.

Hopefully he is sorted either way, I fucking hate office.... and end users to be fair, but they paid the rent many years back

• 3 years later...

Assume I am a complete and utter idiot, nearly as bad as @Lee909, and help a brother out. 

I’ve got six rows horizontally in excel with data in each row and I’ve added a new entry to the bottom of the first row. When I sort the first row alphabetically to move the entry at the bottom into place in the list it’s not moving the corresponding data in the other rows throwing everything out by one. 

Anyone know how when I sort the first row alphabetically it moves the data in all the other rows in line with it? And please bear in mind - and I can’t stress this enough - I haven’t got a fucking clue what I’m doing. 

Explain it as you would to a particularly stupid young child. 

When you are sorting the row, you have to select the whole rows and columns that you want to sort. If you are only selecting one row or column it will only sort that row or column.

Or something like that.

47 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

When you are sorting the row, you have to select the whole rows and columns that you want to sort. If you are only selecting one row or column it will only sort that row or column.

Or something like that.

Yep- it might do if your data isn't contiguous (i.e. doesn't have gaps) or it might not, Excel ranges can be funny, especially if you've deleted rows and columns previously. Select all your data, then choose Sort from the main menu for best results, remember to check and uncheck the 'my data has headers' option accordingly.

• Upvote 1