You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

What do you do, though? These venture capitalists aren't as good as the billionaire local match going fan we want?

You get an owner who sees the club as a hobby/toy/possession/status symbol, rather than a means to making more money.

Sadly, they are the two options. But at least with the former there is usually less cunt influence on things they don't understand.

You get an owner who sees the club as a hobby/toy/possession/status symbol, rather than a means to making more money.

Sadly, they are the two options. But at least with the former there is usually less cunt influence on things they don't understand.

Is that the Abramovic model?

Piss poor with any continuity, but constantly winning trophies?

What do you do, though? These venture capitalists aren't as good as the billionaire local match going fan we want?

There's very little you can do. Regretfully they have bucketfuls of prestige from being the ones that stopped us going to the wall, yet signing Suarez and winning a reserves cup are their only bonafide successes whilst turning us into also rans the rest of the time. With a few injuries we actually are worse than Watford, I are not trying to defend Klopp.

Is that the Abramovic model?

Piss poor with any continuity, but constantly winning trophies?

I think he probably gets involved a bit more than most. Some Middle Eastern warlords would probably be better.

Personally, I'd favour the entire sport blowing up with thousands of people from FIFA, UEFA, The Premier League, The FA, Sky, BT, and the vast majority of agents all being either put in jail or publicly stoned to death.

• Upvote 1

It's not Klopp's fault that he has a panel of gormless chickens to select from. Yes he has made a few selection mistakes but he's entitled to IMO. He's still learning about the league and learning about the players he can rely on. Getting tonked by Watford is part of that process. If the squad were all Klopp's players there's no way we lose to Watford.

• Upvote 2

It's not Klopp's fault that he has a panel of gormless chickens to select from. Yes he has made a few selection mistakes but he's entitled to IMO. He's still learning about the league and learning about the players he can rely on. Getting toned by Watford is part of that process. If the squad were all Klopp's players there's no way we lose to Watford.

Sorry, mate, we've moved on from Klopp and are asking why we're all arsed?

You can't press against teams that don't try to play out from the back. Klopp has also mentioned the island wind and pitch conditions today. He added that in Germany they run more but there are more sprints on England. Delighted he's adapting quickly.

He has a macro-scientific and intelligent view of tactics unlike Rodgers who was a dogmatist or interpreted statistics in the dumbest possible way eg. "the team with the most possession wins 77% of the time".

• Upvote 1

I think he probably gets involved a bit more than most. Some Middle Eastern warlords would probably be better.

Personally, I'd favour the entire sport blowing up with thousands of people from FIFA, UEFA, The Premier League, The FA, Sky, BT, and the vast majority of agents all being either put in jail or publicly stoned to death.

Do you mean people being charged for financial and/moral crimes?

Just how drunk are you?

Do you mean people being charged for financial and/moral crimes?

Just how drunk are you?

No, I don't mean charged for financial and moral crimes. Not by any official body anyway.

I mean hundreds of thousands of people, pitchfork at the ready, "storming the castle" of the various headquarters of the previously mentioned institutions, dragging the cunts out on to the street, and turning them into a fine paste.

Seems a lot clearer on what Klopps tactics are now we have had 3 months under him.

I think the pressing trigger is the first person to run across the line and block our opponents next easy/most obvious pass. We are effectively forcing the other team one way then, left or right (one of our CM's rushes out to block the easy central pass for the opponent too). The rest of the players then act accordingly and close the opposition down in reaction to the initial press by the first player. We try and force them one way and into a blind alley.

Obviously this is meant to start from the striker and i think this is why we struggle when benteke is the number 9. He lacks spatial awareness and seems a little slow in reading what is going to happen next. This might be down to confidence or maybe he just isn't able to think and run. People might laugh at that but I've seen many talented footballers struggle with even the most basic instructions.  I don't think he is lazy, i doubt he would get any minutes under Klopp if that was the explanation. I think he really struggles with agility and being able to block the line of the opponents pass and then close them down. Maybe that achillies injury has lost him that yard of pace that people have mentioned before.

After watching many games it seems like if we cant get the striker to block the first line of pass we fall back to around the half way line and try and get one of our midfielders to start it. If they can manage it, everyone behind them reacts and we start the press again, a little deeper. I don't think Klopp likes this 2nd phase of pressing because, with only 1 striker, it means the opponents centre backs are free and they can go backwards easier and get out from there. 

Our weakness seems to be that with all this pressing we have to be so compact in midfield that we have no width when we get the ball. This means our full backs have to provide the width and if we lose the ball in the opponents final third we have big spaces left in behind. The opposition seem to know this and start with a striker centrally until we lose the ball and he immediately then peals out to the wings and anyone from the other team hits the ball into our channels, leaving our centre backs exposed. 

Like many have mentioned i don't think we have the players capable of playing his way, all the time. But i don't think the squad needs a huge overhaul either. I think we need more players with vision, especially in central area's. Because of the way we play, everything is so tight, there is a huge battle in the middle of the pitch and once we win the ball back, our opponents are on top of us too, we then lack players with vision and guile to play the right pass forwards, quickly. 

I'm still in love with Klopp and i 100% think he is the man to turn us around but i don't think its a quick fix and i think some people (especially the cunts on the match thread) need to calm the fuck down and realise that he is in it for the long game. We should be too. He wants time to assess the players in his system and weed out the shit ones and move them on. We won't be having a fire sale in January. I doubt we will be buying loads of players either. I don't want us to panic buy players and fill the squad with shite and then realise we got it wrong. We need to be patient as fans. I'm happy to wait until the summer and i think Klopp is too. 

He is an intelligent man, he understands that England is different to Germany and not all of his methods over there will work over here. Signing Grujic seems to indicate that. He is tall, quite built, has vision and plays passes forward. A complete unkown but that's what i think we need. Our previous manager wanted technical dwarfs, Klopps first buy is a bigger, stronger, taller guy. Is this an indication that he understand the league already? I think it might be and i hope it is. 

Buy these unkowns, form a team, take our time, build the club up again. Sort out the fucking reserves/u21's so they are consistently giving the first team players a run for their money and getting into the first 11. Fuck Aubameyang, who was he before Klopp bought him? Fuck Lewandowski, Hummals bla bla fucking bla. Klopp made them into the stars they are. He did that by putting them into a team, in his system, and then they shone. Klopp can do the same here, given the time and patience. It took him 3 years to win Dortmund that title. We have been waiting for 26 already. Personally I'm happy to wait because i can see whats possible under Klopp. I definitely don't want him to panic buy in January because we "might" have a chance at top 4. Fuck that shit, let him take his time. Let him build a side that will dominate for years.

Look at the strength of Dortmund now, since Klopp left. They have a first team with worldwide stars, huge value. Young quality players. A great attacking side and I've read they have a good youth system in place. His tenure there has set them up for the next 15 years. It's what Liverpool needs. Not some quick fix. Not some Mourinho type bullshit, buy some players, win some trophies an fuck off to the next big job....leaving us in a mess.

We want to be strong when Klopp goes and to do that we have to give the guy time, loyalty and make him believe we have complete faith in him as a manager. 

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...

He got it wrong today.

If Daniel Sturridge is able to walk, he should have at least been on the bench, in a glass case marked "In case of emergency".

Our tactics were self-evidently not working - he made like-for-like changes.

And against Borussia, he got the tactics absofuckinglutely blob on!

• Upvote 1