You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Reporter: "Gordon, do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?"

Strachan: "I don't care, I'm Scottish."

Reporter: "Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?"

Strachan: "No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah."

Reporter: "There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?"

Strachan: "Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick. Down negative man, down!"

"People think I've got a problem with the press. Actually I have no problem with the press, but just like in football there are a handful who cause problems because they're disrespectful, they're lazy, and above all - and this is what really gets to me - they haven't worked hard to get there."

Reporter: "What is your impression of Jermaine Pennant?"

Strachan: "I don't do impressions”

Reporter: "So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?"

Strachan: "What areas? Mainly that big green one out there…"

I remember him saying that second one!

I've always liked Strachan as a player,even at Utd and Leeds as well as Aberdeen.I think he's a decent manager given the right club and circumstances and he always seems to appreciate how much better off he and football people are in general compared to the general public. I'd imagine him and King Kenny would be a crackin' laugh when together.

We can't compete with Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd if they've got top managers and they've bought well. All 3 seem to have. Our competition is Arsenal and Tottenham and sneaking that 4th position, maybe 3rd if Chelsea slip up. We've drawn a few too many due to refereeing bad luck but I still favour us over Arsenal and Tottenham because we've rotated well. 

I agree we cannot go toe to toe with City or United on spending power. Chelsea seem to have drawn back a bit since the early days. But we have something they cannot offer all the players they are in for and that is regular first team football. Spurs are doing well but how long will Pochettino be there? Arsenal could be a bigger danger when Wenger leaves and if the next manager is not so cautious.

We can't compete with Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd if they've got top managers and they've bought well. All 3 seem to have. Our competition is Arsenal and Tottenham and sneaking that 4th position, maybe 3rd if Chelsea slip up. We've drawn a few too many due to refereeing bad luck but I still favour us over Arsenal and Tottenham because we've rotated well. 

We have a better manager than Chelsea and United so I think we actually can compete with them, certainly over one season. The latter, especially, is underachieving considerably. 

Get our shit together and we can finish 2nd this season. 

but the league bar City is poor enough 

I keep hearing this - then I look at the CL knockouts and the teams in the middle of the table in Italy and Spain and wonder - who thinks this? Then I look at the teams in the middle of the table in Germany and just wonder. Then I look at the teams outside of PSG in France...

We have a better manager than Chelsea and United so I think we actually can compete with them, certainly over one season. The latter, especially, is underachieving considerably.

Get our shit together and we can finish 2nd this season.

You’re underrating Conte and Mourinho massively. Mourinho won the treble with Porto FFS!! I hate the cunt but he wins trophies whereever he goes.

You’re underrating Conte and Mourinho massively. Mourinho won the treble with Porto FFS!! I hate the cunt but he wins trophies whereever he goes.

That was almost 15 years ago. Benitez won the Champions League 12 years ago and now he's managing Newcastle. Things change and Mou Mou is nowhere near the coach he once was.

That was almost 15 years ago. Benitez won the Champions League 12 years ago and now he's managing Newcastle. Things change and Mou Mou is nowhere near the coach he once was.

He still won the league 2 seasons ago and Uefa cup last season. He's declined but still a very good manager.

• Upvote 1

Let’s follow your logic then.. Jose on the other hand, is currently managing Manchester United, one of the biggest teams in the world, are currently 2nd in the league and won two cups with them last season. He’s a very good manager, no point denying that.

Let’s follow your logic then.. Jose on the other hand, is currently managing Manchester United, one of the biggest teams in the world, are currently 2nd in the league and won two cups with them last season. He’s a very good manager, no point denying that.

I'm not denying it. I think nowadays he's very good for about 2 seasons. Then he acts like a dick and gets sacked. He's not the same "charming" guy he was a decade ago. For the standards he himself set a while ago, he's a bit meh now. 

I'm not denying it. I think nowadays he's very good for about 2 seasons. Then he acts like a dick and gets sacked. He's not the same "charming" guy he was a decade ago. For the standards he himself set a while ago, he's a bit meh now.

Being charming is an overrated quality for a manager. Rafa 10 years ago was arguably the best manager in the world, and he had no or very little charm. Managers should be judged on trophies first and foremost, and Mourinho is very good at winning them.

Being charming is an overrated quality for a manager. Rafa 10 years ago was arguably the best manager in the world, and he had no very little charm. Managers should be judged on trophies first and foremost, and Mourinho is very good at winning them.

Is that why his players have quit on him in his last two jobs when he started going insane? Of course charm is important. Mourinho winning a few tin cans at Manchester United doesn't mean he's a success there. He's already started losing it and we're only a year and a half into his reign and it's because he knows he won't win anything major at United.

Is that why his players have quit on him in his last two jobs when he started going insane? Of course charm is important. Mourinho winning a few tin cans at Manchester United doesn't mean he's a success there. He's already started losing it and we're only a year and a half into his reign and it's because he knows he won't win anything major at United.

Tin cans.. fucking hell. I never thought I’d hear a Liverpool fan referring to trophies so disrespectfully. Some of the best time I’ve had as a supporter was when we won ALL of them “tin cans” under Ged.

Tin cans.. fucking hell. I never thought I’d hear a Liverpool fan referring to trophies so disrespectfully. Some of the best time I’ve had as a supporter was when we won ALL of them “tin cans” under Ged.

They are trophies the United fans goaded us about not worth winning when we won them. Suddenly United fans are celebrating these trophies like they are the Premier League and Champions League double. I would not call them tin cans but United fans should be shown up for the utter hypocrites they are and have their noses rubbed in dog shit at every opportunity.

They are trophies the United fans goaded us about not worth winning when we won them. Suddenly United fans are celebrating these trophies like they are the Premier League and Champions League double. I would not call them tin cans but United fans should be shown up for the utter hypocrites they are and have their noses rubbed in dog shit at every opportunity.

Maybe when we start winning again.. certainly not when they’re still more successful than us.

I keep hearing this - then I look at the CL knockouts and the teams in the middle of the table in Italy and Spain and wonder - who thinks this? Then I look at the teams in the middle of the table in Germany and just wonder. Then I look at the teams outside of PSG in France...

I didn't say what you have implied with your bolding though. I said it is poor enough. There is one exceptional team, five very good teams, and a load of shite.

We're improving now defensively which is good to see.  We haven't conceded a single goal from open play in our last six games. And just 2 in our last 9 Premier League games.

Whatever is happening on the training pitch is starting to work.  We just need a top class GK, Centre back and Centre midfielder and we're sorted.