You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a Kodi Box

redheart

I want something that

lets me what streams of footie matches and films etc

Also a media player

But easy to use

You just need something that runs Kodi really. A Fire TV Stick will be the cheapest but a Raspberry Pi 2 is worth the 10 quid extra if you want it wired into ethernet (better connection than WiFi) or want to plug a hard drive in and play media from it. Kodi also runs better on a Linux based system than Android. The video and sound are also a bit better.

You would have to spend a bit of time following a guide to set it up for both of them. Both would then be simple enough to use.

Whats the difference between an Amazon firestick and google chromecast?

The Fire TV Stick can be set up to run Kodi itself directly to your TV. Chromecast needs a source to play from such as your phone/laptop etc. It just mirrors it basically.

You will be better off with something actually running Kodi for what you want but if you already have a Chromecast try that first.

Interesting thread. Been considering a chromecast the last few days then found the amazon firestick with inbuilt kodi. On fleabay the firestick with kodi seems to be selling from about 48 to 63 quid. 63 seems the top end so they can fuck off but 50 seems to be the average.

Is connection via the firestick wifi only?

Isnt the mxq box a bit out of date? I mean android 4.4 when the latest version is 5.1 and sure to be upgraded again soon?

What's the real benefit of the mxq box over the firestick?

They are both pretty easy. I'd actually say the Pi is easier than the adb method of doing the Fire Stick.

If WiFi only is alright, you don't have a hard drive full of music/films/TV then the Stick should be fine.

If you would prefer a wired connection and a more fully operational media centre then get the Pi. I much prefer Kodi on a Linux base myself. More stable and the sound and video seem a little better quality.

I notice you have ignored LL's advice there. (It would probably do for a cheap option).

I have already got a kodi with ethernet a box and 50mb internet and the box is pretty shit to be honest. I also have Chromecast but to watch the football it robs one of my monitors I would rather use for in play betting/trading so I want something that goes directly into the telly thats independent of the computer,and stability is preferred.

I'd get a Pi 2 then. I'm using OSMC on my one (it used to be called RaspBMC) and it's really easy to put on the Pi. You need a PC running Windows, Linux or Mac and then download from here

https://osmc.tv/download/

Stick your SD card in and run the program.

Take it out and put it in your Pi.

Putting a custom build on is the same whatever you are using and is not difficult.