You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Changing what team you support

Section_31

Isn't it bizarre?

I've been best man twice to two Evertonians and while trying to dig up stuff to humiliate them with, discovered pictures of them in Liverpool kits when they were kids.

Another lad I worked with who was a man united supporter, he had the Newton Heath scarf and all that bollocks, went to FC United games, I was speaking to someone at the weekend who used to work with him and said he's from Doncaster and used to be a Newcastle fan.

A couple of lads I went to school with suddenly became Chelsea fans overnight in 2004. They've since blocked me on Facebook for pointing out that they're sad glory hunting twats.

Another lad I grew up with had spells supporting us, Everton, United and Spurs before finally settling on Arsenal. This is a lad who's never been near London in his life. Bizarre.

My mate was a liverpool fan up until he was 20 then went to Barcelona on placement and started to follow them. Came back and started going to see Celtic. Moved to Manchester and has been a city season ticket holder since early 2000s.

think it was going to live football that changed him. I always tell him its lucky he didnt move to leeds instead of manchester.

My mate was a liverpool fan up until he was 20 then went to Barcelona on placement and started to follow them. Came back and started going to see Celtic. Moved to Manchester and has been a city season ticket holder since early 2000s.

think it was going to live football that changed him. I always tell him its lucky he didnt move to leeds instead of manchester.

Wrong much rather have gone to Leeds.

My cousin swapped Liverpool for Blackburn when they won the title. the fuckin tit.

I also know another lad who went from Arsenal to Chelsea. Cunt.

Yeah there was a Blackburn fan and a Newcastle fan in our school for that reason. 

I just can't get my head around it but then it's hard to put your finger on why you support someone in the first place.

With me it was a combination of the fact I was from Liverpool and supporting a team called 'Liverpool' seemed like the sensible thing to do, the fact I liked the colour red, and the fact my first official word was 'Dalglish' thanks to my uncle. I also remember watching us beat the shite in the FA Cup in 86 as the first real time I was conscious of how exciting footy could be to watch.

Saying that. When everyone was getting into NFL a couple of years ago I tried to 'pick' a team, and it's fucking hard. You can't make yourself follow someone. 

Yeah there was a Blackburn fan and a Newcastle fan in our school for that reason.

I just can't get my head around it but then it's hard to put your finger on why you support someone in the first place.

With me it was a combination of the fact I was from Liverpool and supporting a team called 'Liverpool' seemed like the sensible thing to do, the fact I liked the colour red, and the fact my first official word was 'Dalglish' thanks to my uncle. I also remember watching us beat the shite in the FA Cup in 86 as the first real time I was conscious of how exciting footy could be to watch.

Saying that. When everyone was getting into NFL a couple of years ago I tried to 'pick' a team, and it's fucking hard. You can't make yourself follow someone.

I liked the dolphins and 49ers when.i was younger then didnt watch it for about 20 years. Since I ve got back into it I ve been a steelers fan because the rooneys are originally from my home town.

I used to like utah jazz in nba because of their name plus stockton and malone but I was in new york for the 99 nba finals and have followed the knicks since.

Freo in the aussie rules cos I lived there.

• Downvote 1

I got into NFL a bit when I was a boy in the 1980's, along with loads of other kids. At first, I 'followed' the Miami Dolphins, but switched allegiance to LA Raiders, as I considered their colours cooler.

Closer to home, in 1987, I very nearly turned to the dark side and started supporting Everton. It was a combination of things, which sound daft now. We didn't win anything in 1986-87, my best mate was an Evertonian and blue was and still is my favourite colour when it comes to clothes. Fortunately, we signed John Barnes and I never looked back. Phew!

I got into NFL a bit when I was a boy in the 1980's, along with loads of other kids. At first, I 'followed' the Miami Dolphins, but switched allegiance to LA Raiders, as I considered their colours cooler.

Closer to home, in 1987, I very nearly turned to the dark side and started supporting Everton. It was a combination of things, which sound daft now. We didn't win anything in 1986-87, my best mate was an Evertonian and blue was and still is my favourite colour when it comes to clothes. Fortunately, we signed John Barnes and I never looked back. Phew!

I nearly started suporting spurs in 87 cos we didnt win anything then they lost to coventry in cup final.

You were going to support Spurs because you wanted to win things? Spurs? If Spurs were a bloke they'd have loads of fit female friends and no bird.

I liked hoddle and waddle.

I think the good news is that I never even considered everton.

I remember wearing a united goalie jersey once playing street league gaelic and it just feeling wrong.

My first ever match was at Goodson but I already supported Liverpool then. My dad took me as he is a blue. I'm not gonna lie I toyed with the idea for about 5 seconds but I could never seriously change. From the moment I put on my green LFC HITACHI goalkeeper top someone got me for my birthday when I was very little that was it for me. My uncle had a seasie in the kemlyn rd and I went to Anfield with him not long afterwards. Our family has always been a mixture of reds and blues on both my mum and dads sides so it was never a case of being forced to pick one or the other. I think if you aren't from the city you don't have that same affinity or emotional attachment to the team you support so it makes it easier to change.

I can't get my head around it to be honest it's fucking weird behaviour. Later on when my family moved down south it became apparent people didn't have that same attachment and I even knew someone who went from supporting Liverpool all through school then just changing to Arsenal as he'd had a change of heart!! It always makes me have zero respect for a person if I find out they've changed which team they support. It makes them less of a man in my eyes. Shithouse behaviour

Do you know anyone who loves watching football but claims not to support anyone?

My father in law will watch nearly every game on tv but doesn't have a favourite team. A mate of mine is the same but I just call him a united fan, something he rejects.

I think it depends where you are from. If you are from a place that has no affinity to any club then it's easy to change.

There arent many football supporters from Liverpool that support a team that is not Liverpool or Everton. Same for London, Manchester etc.

It's the no mans land areas that get to choose any team that puzzle me.

How can you have an affinity to an English football team when you are from Norway? Or Thailand?

A lad I work with is a Man U supporter from Essex and he was telling me a load of people from his area are either Chelsea or Man City fans. These would have been Man U or Liverpool fans 20 years ago.

It's funny how people who just choose themselves a team never choose a shit one isnt it?

We used to get the 55 bus from Bootle to the end of Scotty Rd where that ace second hand shop used to be. Sold Crossbows and Air Rifles and Snooker tables which was my life back then.

No 26 (i think) from that stop would take us to Anfield last 20 mins of the match.

Then walk to Kenny to the Ice Skating Rink. Then fight with the black lads from Toxteth.

And get a kicking. Most times but not all.

I was 13.

• Upvote 1

I think it depends where you are from. If you are from a place that has no affinity to any club then it's easy to change.

There arent many football supporters from Liverpool that support a team that is not Liverpool or Everton. Same for London, Manchester etc.

How can you have an affinity to an English football team when you are from Norway? Or Thailand?

A lad I work with is a Man U supporter from Essex and he was telling me a load of people from his area are either Chelsea or Man City fans. These would have been Man U or Liverpool fans 20 years ago.

It's funny how people who just choose themselves a team never choose a shit one isnt it?

Eh, no.

it tends to be whoever is/are the best teams when you're 7 or 8 years old.

funny I dont know one forest fan though.

Over here a lot of it has to do with players from ireland and northern ireland playing for certain clubs.

my cousins are arsenal fans probably because of pat jennings, liam brady and david o leary.

A lot of united fans would have been swayed by george best and then later Whiteside McGrath Moran. United werent a great side when I was growing up but the boys o knew supported them were probably influenced by their das who followed them when they were kids in the 60s.

bit like us now and our kids.

• Upvote 1

We used to get the 55 bus from Bootle to the end of Scotty Rd where that ace second hand shop used to be. Sold Crossbows and Air Rifles and Snooker tables which was my life back then.

No 26 (i think) from that stop would take us to Anfield last 20 mins of the match.

Then walk to Kenny to the Ice Skating Rink. Then fight with the black lads from Toxteth.

And get a kicking. Most times but not all.

I was 13.

you're never too young to be racist.

• Upvote 2