You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gomez and Clyne

AngryOfTuebrook

Really enjoying watching Gomez in particular. Against Stoke it was fascinating seeing how he'd cope with Walters, and it seems like with each game you're witnessing a young player learn so many new things. Yet, he never seems to make the same mistakes twice, he's picking things up like positioning at a rate that a young championship CB using his weaker foot really shouldn't be able to.

I've been impressed with them both. Neither have as yet shown that much in an attacking sense but Clyne in particular has just been very steady, composed and consistent. He looks like he's making sure he doesn't have any issues with the basics of defending as a full back, and to me he's got his priorities right.

Gomez looks a real find. He's playing out of position but again he's prioritising the basics of defending as a full back. When we're on the ball, his need to favour his stronger right foot can slow momentum down at times but it's not a significant flaw. If I had to identify a weakness, it's dealing with the high cross-field ball. He can get caught under the ball or head the ball away into the wrong areas sometimes, but as a youngster learning the game, you can't expect him to make the right decisions all the time. He's been unfortunate to be booked in every game so far, especially at Arsenal when it was a foul after genuinely attempting to win the ball back rather than a cynical foul worthy of a card (I though the same about Can's yellow card too).

It always works better for young full backs to play out of position and on their weaker side

Whenever he gets the ball, he has to come inside and that gives him so many more options than just going down the touch line. He can either go back to the CBs or look for a CM rather than the LW

Very impressed by him

Been impressed with him but still think he looks like a right footed centre back playing at left (which he is) and the team would be better with a proper left back, especially in games where we'll need to attack and take the game to the opposition.

Looks a proper footballer tho.

I've been impressed with them both. Neither have as yet shown that much in an attacking sense

I too have been impressed.

The problem with Johnson in particular was not his undoubted attacking prowess, but his failure to concentrate on his defensive duties, and his inability to perform them consistently.

I will be very happy with two full backs who defend well.

Sounds like a good cop show set in los Angeles or San Diego, Gomez would be Hispanic of course.

Clyne would be the older, more considered, wiser counterpoint to Gomez's brash and impetuous hot-blooded rookie. He'd eat Twinkies by the pawful all day, and have a boss going through a divorce who can't stand the sight of him.

• Upvote 1

Clyne would be the older, more considered, wiser counterpoint to Gomez's brash and impetuous hot-blooded rookie. He'd eat Twinkies by the pawful all day, and have a boss going through a divorce who can't stand the sight of him.

He'd also have killed a kid by mistake, don't forget the kid. It was a ray gun but looked like the real thing. 

• Upvote 1

I like Gomez. Think he has the potential to be excellent.

That said, he's not going to keep up his wonderful form. He's 18. He's going to slump and the real test will be how he recovers from that.

(For example, see Ibe the last two matches).

Wouldn't be so sure about that, he's 18 and he's learning so rapidly, it's insane that he's gone from the Championship to this level so rapidly. He would have had to impress the hell out of the coaching staff in training to get a start as LB.

No pressure on him either, he's a bonus as we have Moreno, so any drop in form or confidence isn't a problem, which means he can have fun.

I'm a firm believer that defenders cost too much money these days, NO defender is worth £30m, it's a con. But you get a brilliant full back, and it's the exception to the rule. I expect 'heat' from City in the next 12 months, and it's upto Rodgers to make hay while the sun shines and keep the wolves from the door. This squad should be getting CL if managed right.

Clyne would be the grizzled irish american cop, divorced with a drink problem- see Brian Dennehy

I think Gomez could be played by that lad that looked like a native american with the long hair, used to be about in the 80's.

Clyne would be the grizzled irish american cop, divorced with a drink problem- see Brian Dennehy

I think Gomez could be played by that lad that looked like a native american with the long hair, used to be about in the 80's.

Lou Diamond Philips?

Just need to find roles for Corbin Bernsen and Jimmy Smits then we're cooking with gas.