You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

18 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Thomas DeLauer seems to know his shit on keto. I've just in the last couple of weeks started a 16:8 minimum 4 times per week keto/fasting and using a lot of the principles he recommends for specific age groups.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC70SrI3VkT1MXALRtf0pcHg

Had a watch of it.  All makes perfect sense if I'm honest.  I do tend to stick a stevia in a coffee but will probably just go without moving forward.  Definitely can do the 16:8 without any issues so will have a go of that and hopefully increase it to 18:6 and 20:4 over the coming weeks.

Cheers for the link, exactly what I've been looking for.

• 3 months later...

Right. Keto going well, with weight down to just about ideal for me - now 83 kg. Doing resistance + aerobic work most days. 

I’ve been avoiding the Dr because I knew he’d want blood work and a meds review, but after ordering a repeat script of my low dose blood pressure meds (been on them 3 yrs) which I tried to get over the phone, the Doc basically called for a blood test, and wanted to see me, basically to meet me for the first time, and review my blood test. Yes, meet me for the first time. My old Dr. recently moved on. They’re so transient these days.

The good news. Liver fine, kidneys fine, blood glucose (HBA1C) now normal after 5 yrs of pre-diabetes. Lipids: HDL above average, Tg low, BUT LDL thru THE ROOF.

SO high in fact that he threatened statins. No way do I want statins. He knows I’m low carb, and suggested getting off cheese, coconut oil, red meat plus lowering salt. Coconut oil especially raises LDL, according to him.

Anybody else had bloods done recently with LDL issues?

Fucking statins No way.

4 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Right. Keto going well, with weight down to just about ideal for me - now 83 kg. Doing resistance + aerobic work most days. 

I’ve been avoiding the Dr because I knew he’d want blood work and a meds review, but after ordering a repeat script of my low dose blood pressure meds (been on them 3 yrs) which I tried to get over the phone, the Doc basically called for a blood test, and wanted to see me, basically to meet me for the first time, and review my blood test. Yes, meet me for the first time. My old Dr. recently moved on. They’re so transient these days.

The good news. Liver fine, kidneys fine, blood glucose (HBA1C) now normal after 5 yrs of pre-diabetes. Lipids: HDL above average, Tg low, BUT LDL thru THE ROOF.

SO high in fact that he threatened statins. No way do I want statins. He knows I’m low carb, and suggested getting off cheese, coconut oil, red meat plus lowering salt. Coconut oil especially raises LDL, according to him.

Anybody else had bloods done recently with LDL issues?

Fucking statins No way.

What's your usual diet? I did Atkins for about 18 months, but the usual diet was lean meat and plenty of low carb vegetables. Not sure why you're using coconut oil, I rarely fried anything and a bit of olive oil for an egg or frying onions and chicken was fine.

The Great Statin Con?

It is these industry sponsored studies that have resulted in the prescription of statins to tens of millions of healthy people worldwide driving a multi-billion dollar industry... It's instructive to note that the drug company, Pfizer's own patient leaflet states "common side-effects that may affect up to one in 10 patients include sore throat, nausea, digestive problems, muscle and joint pain."

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-aseem-malhotra/great-statin-con_b_9607316.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIfv6Hwfs72KKDCHj1U_8v0YP_FHffZ5Oc1AOpTvhQE6NCSTDXBr1hGjB366kjsm6il2yUO89Yv9jyjiXyQ4JuCKGb-p4A0_wNX8MMGCVjGJMrgg9oZjj2L-XpGtudEz7ZdH5rAFuVN69NAlw9-Y3hwahjopX6aeUE-jv_B3fIUf

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

What's your usual diet? I did Atkins for about 18 months, but the usual diet was lean meat and plenty of low carb vegetables. Not sure why you're using coconut oil, I rarely fried anything and a bit of olive oil for an egg or frying onions and chicken was fine.

I’ll clarify - I’m not using coconut oil. He assumed I was doing what ‘every low carber does’ and ‘using coconut oil’. I just took the lecture and shut up. To be honest I was shocked by the LDL result, because I feel so good, but LDL spiking is supposedly a risk factor for CD.

Usual diet is within a 16/8 intermittent window. No breakfast unless really feeling hungry. First meal at about 12:30. Usually eggs scrambled or an omelette with tomato & spinach. Sometimes with a side of bacon.

Evening meal is either fish or chicken or lean red meat with assorted low carb veges, and SMALL amounts of either Kumera, Yams or cooked beetroot. No spuds. Was on spuds but cut them as I got some ‘carb creep’. Desert is 2 squares of 80% dark choc.

6 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The Great Statin Con?

It is these industry sponsored studies that have resulted in the prescription of statins to tens of millions of healthy people worldwide driving a multi-billion dollar industry... It's instructive to note that the drug company, Pfizer's own patient leaflet states "common side-effects that may affect up to one in 10 patients include sore throat, nausea, digestive problems, muscle and joint pain."

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-aseem-malhotra/great-statin-con_b_9607316.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIfv6Hwfs72KKDCHj1U_8v0YP_FHffZ5Oc1AOpTvhQE6NCSTDXBr1hGjB366kjsm6il2yUO89Yv9jyjiXyQ4JuCKGb-p4A0_wNX8MMGCVjGJMrgg9oZjj2L-XpGtudEz7ZdH5rAFuVN69NAlw9-Y3hwahjopX6aeUE-jv_B3fIUf

And then there’s this.

Huffington Post or Daily Mail? The choice of which quality journalism?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6764117/Devastating-investigation-reveals-impact-deadly-statin-denier-propaganda.html

2 hours ago, Red Shift said:

And then there’s this.

Huffington Post or Daily Mail? The choice of which quality journalism?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6764117/Devastating-investigation-reveals-impact-deadly-statin-denier-propaganda.html

Ha, very true.

I personally wouldn't take them, but each to their own.

Your diet seems spot on to me - you're exercising and eating well, it just seems strange the GP was so quick to mention the S word. And cutting out red meat? Cutting down processed meat sure. But something like steak contains so much good stuff. 

https://examine.com/nutrition/red-meat-is-good-for-you-now/#summary3

My GP told me to stop lifting weights and to take up running instead. I listened, nodded my head, and left. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Ha, very true.

I personally wouldn't take them, but each to their own.

Your diet seems spot on to me - you're exercising and eating well, it just seems strange the GP was so quick to mention the S word. And cutting out red meat? Cutting down processed meat sure. But something like steak contains so much good stuff. 

https://examine.com/nutrition/red-meat-is-good-for-you-now/#summary3

My GP told me to stop lifting weights and to take up running instead. I listened, nodded my head, and left. 

Have you had a lipid profile done? LDL high or normal?

• 7 months later...

I've reduced my carb intake again, aiming to not eat more than 150g per day (not full keto, but it works for me) after falling off the wagon a few years ago when my father-in-law died suddenly.

It strikes me that it would be much easier if I could somehow use a thin omelette as a wrap for veg/mushrooms/etc and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this? Specifically, I could easily make a single egg omelette, but I think it would be a bit flimsy, and I'm wondering if there's any way in which I could perhaps thicken it up so it had a similar level of integrity to a flour-based wrap.

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've reduced my carb intake again, aiming to not eat more than 150g per day (not full keto, but it works for me) after falling off the wagon a few years ago when my father-in-law died suddenly.

It strikes me that it would be much easier if I could somehow use a thin omelette as a wrap for veg/mushrooms/etc and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this? Specifically, I could easily make a single egg omelette, but I think it would be a bit flimsy, and I'm wondering if there's any way in which I could perhaps thicken it up so it had a similar level of integrity to a flour-based wrap.

If you want to thicken it make it an account on the GF.

I’m starting keto again. 
I had a chance encounter with a doctor I trust, it was during the school run and we were both waiting to pick up our respective kids and I skulked over and asked if I could pick his brain about statins.  I’d just been offered statins to combat high LDL or the other one.  I’d said no to it on the phone but then spoke to a couple of mates who said I should take the advice.  So I stewed on it and decided I’d probably phone back and take up the offer.

I asked the doctor his opinion on statins and he paused, obviously conflicted, but then said “there’s actually no evidence, at all, that cholesterol is a problem, and that statins only job is to lower your cholesterol, it does nothing else, but with them comes problems like depression and a whole lot more.”

He then told me how he was just starting on keto, having seen amazing results in a relative, and that carbs are likely the root problem of all my medical issues, including psoriasis.  The inflammation in your body that carbs cause is the problem, and he said he wished he could say that to his patients.

He doesn’t practice here, he used to but now he works in Cornwall, but his wife and kid live here.  He’s a German, and I always love a good German doctor, usually far more advanced and accepting of new ideas.  

56 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There are plenty of outlets online with recipes for keto-friendly wraps, using stuff like almond flour.

Best of luck.

Right, that's pretty much why I'm not doing that, a low carb diet will be much easier to deal with than an almost zero carb one. I'm thinking of trying guar gum or xanthan gum or something like that to thicken an omelette, I reckon that might work.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Right, that's pretty much why I'm not doing that, a low carb diet will be much easier to deal with than an almost zero carb one. I'm thinking of trying guar gum or xanthan gum or something like that to thicken an omelette, I reckon that might work.

Would you not just fry off some veg in a bit of light butter then crack an egg into it and scramble it with the veg? Quicker, easier and tastier. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Would you not just fry off some veg in a bit of light butter then crack an egg into it and scramble it with the veg? Quicker, easier and tastier. 

Sure I could make an omelette or similar, but I like the idea of replicating the function of a wrap, just without all the carbs of a wrap.