You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

It's good for losing weight. You can do it badly by eating cheeseburgers all the time and not eating the bun, or you can do it sensibly...things like steak, chicken, turkey, salads, eggs, omelettes, cottage chesse, salmon, feta cheese, all the vegetables you want and if your losing weight too quickly add in some fruits. Nuts are also a good one as well, same with Avocados and healthy fats. Lots of them cook with coconut oil which is the most ketogenic fat because it's full of medium chain fats which actually help you burn fat. Anyway hope this helps.

If you are struggling just do your adaption phase and have a day off at the weekend. Helps if you are doing some form of exercise. Even long walks will burn off the stored glycogen and get you moving along faster.

I have an overwhelming desire to eat carbs though. I am leanish but can never get ripped due to this.

My goals are more mental at the moment but there could be physical benefits too. Ideally I want to see a decent 6-pack and then start from there to build my strength in a lean-ish bulk.

I was warned not to dive head first into it so im transitioning by having carbs only pre-workout, then cutting them out completely until the keto stix turn purple.

My goals are more mental at the moment but there could be physical benefits too. Ideally I want to see a decent 6-pack and then start from there to build my strength in a lean-ish bulk.

I was warned not to dive head first into it so im transitioning by having carbs only pre-workout, then cutting them out completely until the keto stix turn purple.

Don't worry about the keto stix. If you are burning off the Ketones they wont show up. Important to remember a lot of the weight you loose will just be lack of water retention.

Don't worry about the keto stix. If you are burning off the Ketones they wont show up. Important to remember a lot of the weight you loose will just be lack of water retention.

How will I know if i'm in ketosis? I got a metallic taste in my mouth yesterday and I googled it, it seems like a symptom of transition.

Just had a leg day. Wobbling like jelly now. And ive taken some volume off my workouts while I sort my head out a bit, fuck knows what id be like after a full day.

How will I know if i'm in ketosis? I got a metallic taste in my mouth yesterday and I googled it, it seems like a symptom of transition.

Just had a leg day. Wobbling like jelly now. And ive taken some volume off my workouts while I sort my head out a bit, fuck knows what id be like after a full day.

Metallic taste, piss stinks, breath stinks. Best not to sweat it it will happen. Stick to under 50g of carbs initially then up it to just under 100g. That works for me. Do some cardio if you are still worried about being out but it won't matter it is a natural state and it will come.

Metallic taste, piss stinks, breath stinks. Best not to sweat it it will happen. Stick to under 50g of carbs initially then up it to just under 100g. That works for me. Do some cardio if you are still worried about being out but it won't matter it is a natural state and it will come.

I've already bought chewing gum in bulk.

At the beginning, the most important thing to watch is the net carbs (carbs minus fibre). If you keep that below 50g like Anny says above (some people advocate 30g in the adaption phase), then you can almost literally eat as much as you want of everything else.

If you can do that for 2 weeks straight, you should be able to have your carb day without kicking you completely out of ketosis. You'll pile on the weight after that day (maybe 3-4 lbs), but it'll just be water and shit. It's usually gone within the first few days again.

Here's what Kiefer from Carb Nite Solution recommends:

Reorientation:
For the first nine days keep carbohydrates to 30 grams or less per day—
equivalent to two slices of white bread; only fiber does not count as a
carbohydrate in this total. Eat enough food to keep hunger under control
without worrying about counting calories.

Carb Nite:
Day ten starts off like the previous nine days but starting at around dinner
time (sometime between 4 and 6 pm) you must eat a sizable amount of
carbs: spaghetti, apricots, pie, potato-chips, bread, bananas, bagels,
donuts, ice-cream, cookies, cheesecake and almost anything else you’ve
been craving. You should eat carbs for the rest of the evening—this
includes all the way until bedtime and maybe even a midnight snack.

Day after your first Carb Nite:
Go back to 30 grams or less of carbohydrates per day—the same as your
first nine days.

Long Haul:
For up to six months you continue this cycle of having a Carb Nite at least
once per week, but you must keep them at least four full days apart. For
instance, if you have a Carb Nite on Friday, you cannot have your next
Carb Nite any sooner than Wednesday.

Does ketosis not completely sap your energy?

My first workout on it was cack, but I was also on beta blockers that seems to stop my heart rate elevating so I can probably attribute some of the loss of power to that. Todays was pretty good though, about 90% strength of the last leg day. Once your in ketosis your supposed to have better, more stable energy levels. Less peaks and troughs as your blood sugar spikes and falls.

Does ketosis not completely sap your energy?

For the first 3-4 days you can feel kinda drained. But that's your body changing over from using what's in your belly for food to using what's outside your belly for food. After that, you've a decent supply of energy from your fat stores, as well as the low carb food you're eating.

Say you're 2 stone overweight. That's 28lbs of fat you're carrying around.

The "average" calorie requirement for a man is 2500.

Each pound of fat is 3500 calories.

Therefore, you're carrying around 98,000 calories that you don't need to!

Or to put it another way, you're carrying around 39 days worth of calories!

Right.

I'm currently sitting at 190lbs, which I'm fairly happy with so far. Definite change in shape, with muscle definition starting to kick in.

I've been doing Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" thing for the last week, and it's kicked things into gear. That really based on high protein (to reduce lean muscle loss) and big calorie restriction. I'm gonna step away from that now since I'm in ketosis, and I'm hoping to fire things up by going full retard on the keto.

I used the calculator on the ruled.me website, and chucked in the details from the gym (BF%, LBM, etc.). I'm doing something active 5 days a week, so it's giving me the following daily macros for weight loss:

Calories: 2459

Carbs: 20g

Protein: 91g

Fat: 224g

Can someone tell me, without having to neck a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, how the fuck I'm supposed to get that much fat into me while keeping everything else under control?

Mucho gracias amigos.