You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner is....

TheHowieLama

We exist to get slightly worse at everything, gradually.

we will win nothing until we get a top class keeper, plus another decent centre half in the Sammy Hyypia mould, until then more of the same old.

I'm having similar feelings about Milner as I was about Downing before Kenny's last season started...

Ex Aston Villa wide player who could play central and at full back. Lacks goals, trickery and pace but makes up for it with the more boring qualities like 'defensive nous' or 'tactical discipline'.

Uncanny.

• Downvote 1

I'm having similar feelings about Milner as I was about Downing before Kenny's last season started...

Ex Aston Villa wide player who could play central and at full back. Lacks goals, trickery and pace but makes up for it with the more boring qualities like 'defensive nous' or 'tactical discipline'.

Uncanny.

Milner has balls, just lacks a bit of quality and replicates most of what Henderson already does.

Downing has no balls.

• Upvote 1

Uncanny.

Ok because I see no similarities beyond the glaringly obvious, inconsequential fact that they both used to play for Aston villa.

• Upvote 1

The main issue is that we've got a manager who is going to play him out of position. He's perfectly able in an advance/wide role that every other manager has played him in but as soon as Brendan enters his life he is now a central midfield maestro.

• Upvote 1

The main issue is that we've got a manager who is going to play him out of position. He's perfectly able in an advance/wide role that every other manager has played him in but as soon as Brendan enters his life he is now a central midfield maestro.

He only signed for us on the proviso that's where he played, that's where he wants to play apparently. 

I've always wondered how these assurances of position or games work. I figure game time might be written into a contract - as that can be linked to bonuses and add-ons for the selling club - but a position you'd assume is little more than a gentleman's agreement between player and manager. If so, Milner must be more confident than a lot of fans that Rodgers will be here in the long term.

He only signed for us on the proviso that's where he played, that's where he wants to play apparently.

This kind of thing never goes well, I'm sure I even read some comments not so long ago that Ian Ayre said players have been consulted as to who we should and shouldn't target/buy.

Intresting article on Milners best position, i hope this fella's right. I think Milner will prove himself to be a better player than some give him credit for.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/05/james-milner-liverpool-central-midfield-brendan-rodgers-manchester-city-aston-villa

Intresting article on Milners best position, i hope this fella's right. I think Milner will prove himself to be a better player than some give him credit for.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/05/james-milner-liverpool-central-midfield-brendan-rodgers-manchester-city-aston-villa

The pertinent passage is where its mentioned Petrov sitting deep allowed Milner attacking freedom. Lucas or Allen sitting deep is hardly a confidence builder, if they play at all.
  • Downvote 1

The pertinent passage is where its mentioned Petrov sitting deep allowed Milner attacking freedom. Lucas or Allen sitting deep is hardly a confidence builder, if they play at all.

Milner will be decent. We could definitely do with a proper quality player to sit behind him and Henderson though.

I think Allen is probably our best bet at the moment but hopefully Can will turn out boss.

We should have told the cheeky little rat that we've won 18 league titles, 5 European cups, and we didn't get there by letting no marks dictate our selection policy.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why people are negative about him. He came from City not Newton Heath United, and I very much doubt he has come to retire like Ince did.

Our midfield is going to be much better this year, as well as our attack. It is at the back where I have concerns, with Lovren looking like our back-up to Skrtel and Sakho.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that the role of captain might not be a huge one for us for the foreseeable future.

Henderson's main hope of forming a, 'This does not fucking slip now,' huddle will probably be when he's in his 80s in a nursing home after taking delivery of new ferrules for his Zimmer frame.

Regardless, it's a kick in the stones for Skrtel.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Surely it should work the other way around, being a leader should make you the captain. Even then, I'm not sure Slovakia are blessed with leadership