You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

48 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Scored 2 goals for Brasil in the their WC qualifier. Love you, Bobby. Please start scoring for Liverpool now!

He definately hasn’t been scoring enough goals for us lately. That said he’ll never be the leading goalscorer the way we play. Haven’t seen him for Brazil in ages, but would guess his role there is somewhat different.

His general play, movement, stretching the defence and not least his pressing is vital to our gameplan. He hasnt been at his best form for a while, but also hasnt been anywhere near as bad as you’d think from reading this thread. 

In the disaster at Villa, he was poor.  But far from the main reason we let in seven. Also worth noting that it was an away game where we scored two, and he had one assist.

Needs to improve, but still a vital player for us. A rest now and then however can’t do the team any harm and we have options. We can put Minamino in and play the same way more or less, or we can put Jota in and change it around a bit.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He definately hasn’t been scoring enough goals for us lately. That said he’ll never be the leading goalscorer the way we play. Haven’t seen him for Brazil in ages, but would guess his role there is somewhat different.

His general play, movement, stretching the defence and not least his pressing is vital to our gameplan. He hasnt been at his best form for a while, but also hasnt been anywhere near as bad as you’d think from reading this thread. 

In the disaster at Villa, he was poor.  But far from the main reason we let in seven. Also worth noting that it was an away game where we scored two, and he had one assist.

Needs to improve, but still a vital player for us. A rest now and then however can’t do the team any harm and we have options. We can put Minamino in and play the same way more or less, or we can put Jota in and change it around a bit.

My view is I'm not sure what the downside is to giving mini a go. That's what he's been brought in for. This is going to be a long season, so if mini has a bit of a run now, we talk Bobby we're protecting him and sharpening him for later in the season and get his confidence back in 30 mins stints off the bench. And if mini turns out to be a world beater and he can't get back in , that's good too! 

Lets be brutally honest, Bobby has been fucking shite for ages. Not sure how he's still getting picked given we now have Jota and Minamino.

If we played Milner up front instead of Bobby, I sure he would be a bigger goal threat and actually score more goals than Bobby has in the best part of a year.

Needs to be dropped, but Klopp won't as he's a stubborn fucker.

9 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Lets be brutally honest, Bobby has been fucking shite for ages. Not sure how he's still getting picked given we now have Jota and Minamino.

If we played Milner up front instead of Bobby, I sure he would be a bigger goal threat and actually score more goals than Bobby has in the best part of a year.

Klopp's not stubborn, Firmino presumably did what Klopp wanted him to do today. Linked up well, created chances, won the ball up the pitch. If he does that, he'll keep playing, despite not scoring. The problem is when he loses the ball a bunch and he's not getting involved in the buildup. 

17 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

A stubborn fucker who knows what he's doing.  You want Firmino dropped, didn't you also want Klopp gone too at one point ?  Judgement of players and managers is clearly not your strong suit.

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thought it was quite noticeable that our pressing went to shit after he went off. For Everton's second goal they were able to play out of the back easily and get Digne forward, something they hadn't really been able to do until that point.

I agree to a point. It didn't "go to shit" as such, but we switched Sadio to the centre and brought the fresh legs of Jota out wide, where Godfrey wasn't exactly an attacking threat. The energy and hustle of Jota in the middle would have helped keep pressure on Everton's centre backs and keep Everton at bay while we continued to lead, and after 5 minutes or so we could switch Sadio and Jota.

Bobby had a decent game linking up but his only scoring opportunity was a header that flashed high and wide in the first half. It wasn't an easy chance but it was a chance. Other than that, he didn't offer enough goal threat.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Voodoo magic stuff that he's still convincing people he's doing something when he's doing nothing.  

Or you can just watch the game and see that he's creating shot opportunities, doing sharp one two's around the box, notably with Salah, and others. There's games when he just loses it all the time. That wasn't yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's all theoretical because Klopp obviously doesn't want to replace him, but you just wonder how good we'd be with Kane or another equally hard-working 9 who scores a bucket. 

I dont see how we need a 9, effectively Salah and mane do that between them and part of its success is they do it coming in from wide areas. We need to forget that Bobby wears 9 on his shirt. He's a 10 with 2 strikers in front of him. He doesn't score enough for a 10 either I don't think, and his touch and passing isn't at the level it was prior to the injury he got in the run in in 18/19, but if we had a kane type, we'd be asking mane and Salah to do different things. 

I used to say we don't play with a 9, and it's how we overload the midfield. if you think of the lines of the 5 lines used in formations we play with a 21430 and it is the job the 7 furthest forward players (so yesterday robbo, Trent, thiago, Henderson, Salah, mane, firmino) between them to become the 9. They're all allowed, in fact encouraged to make the extra/missing man depending on your point of view. In the first season of that front 3, firmino did the 9 thing most, closely followed by Salah. How I see things have changed with firmino is since that injury around April 19, he's been less effective doing his part of the 9 role, but mane has stepped up in the same period, so it could be tactical. I think he's so deep now, I'd say we play a 21520 now. But I do believe his lack of goals is affecting his confidence, so if it is tactical, we maybe try and get him in the goals for a bit. If it's not, we're probably just looking at a player in his decline. 

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Adrian likes this.

It's still true.  A-A was at fault for their second goal, but he still had a better game than Bobby.  Firmino gave the ball away so many times.  Everything about him is off at the moment.

Conversely, I thought Henderson had a really good game - one of the few times that a run out for the national team benefits the club.