You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Real Madrid Thread

Zidane apparently has been playing politics himself at the club. Ever since that Norwegian 12 year old turned up the Castilla side has gone to shit. The kid trains with the first team but plays for Castilla. He's paid five times as much as anyone else, and more than some of the first team squad. Zidane thinks he's a twat and to show his displeasure, picked his own son who can barely get into the C team.

Beautiful scenes at the Bernabeu today. I just finished watching on youtube the presentation of Rafa Benitez, the new Real Madrid manager.

Beautiful. Monste was wearing an elegant summer dress and Rafa was clearly delighted. They deserved it. They gave everything to Liverpool too.

I am very happy for them.

Good Luck Rafa!

• Upvote 5

I'd be surprised if he's expecting any more than two. They've had 12 managers in the last 12 years.

Yeah, I think anybody who goes to manage Real must know what to expect; I assume with Rafa it's a job he was always going to take at some point and he just feels its the right time. I don't think anyone as familiar with Real as he is will have any illusions about the long-term prospects.

Zidane apparently has been playing politics himself at the club. Ever since that Norwegian 12 year old turned up the Castilla side has gone to shit. The kid trains with the first team but plays for Castilla. He's paid five times as much as anyone else, and more than some of the first team squad. Zidane thinks he's a twat and to show his displeasure, picked his own son who can barely get into the C team.

Sacriligeous opinion in some quarters but I always had Zidane down as a bit of a twat to be honest.  Superb footballer but I never warmed to him.  He worked on Qatar's World Cup bid too, wonder how much he trousered for that.  As for that Norwegian lad, that kind of shite is one of the many reasons that I think he was mental to sign for Real.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Will always have a soft spot for Rafa, even with his flaws,  Hope it works out well for him.

He's a great manager. You just need to look at how successful he has been, especially when competing against richer teams. I support Barcelona and have done almost as long as I have done Liverpool, so I don't want Real to do well, but if they do I'll be happy for Rafa. For so many to mock a man that has won so much, and is clearly a tactical mastermind, is out of order.

I love the guy. A good manager and, much more importantly, a good man. The disrespect shown to him, especially by Liverpool fans, baffles me.

• Upvote 6

I love Rafa and I hope to god results go his way (despite despising Madrid)

The abuse he got from Chelsea fans was fucking disgusting, over there they are ten times worse. (Not worse people of course but worse for getting on the managers back)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think anybody who goes to manage Real must know what to expect; I assume with Rafa it's a job he was always going to take at some point and he just feels its the right time. 

Get it out of the way so he can move onto a dozen or so years as manager for Spain.

• Upvote 1

Hand on heart, do you think he ever might?

Ha, fuck knows. Not under these owners, but then I don't think they'll be here in two/three years.

His name will always be mooted whilst we're shit, because he's the best manager that would almost definitely take the job.

Ha, fuck knows. Not under these owners, but then I don't think they'll be here in two/three years.

His name will always be mooted whilst we're shit, because he's the best manager that would almost definitely take the job.

When Pelligrini was in the myre a couple of months ago, City fans suddenly started recalling a lot of affection for Mancini. It's like an old girlfriend in many ways. Melancholy and selective memory go hand in hand.

When Pelligrini was in the myre a couple of months ago, City fans suddenly started recalling a lot of affection for Mancini. It's like an old girlfriend in many ways. Melancholy and selective memory go hand in hand.

I don't think the two situations are even remotely comparable. You could attract a much better manager than Mancini or Pellegrini. We couldn't attract another manager with anything like the CV Benitez has.

It isn't "suddenly recalling" or "selective memory" either. Most people, bar a few complete loons on RAWK that write poetry about him, are well aware of his flaws. Just that, in comparison to the current incumbent, and any other manager that would fancy the job, they are comfortably outweighed by his eye for a player, tactical nous, experience, pedigree in Europe, and history of winning trophies.

• Upvote 6

I don't think the two situations are even remotely comparable. You could attract a much better manager than Mancini or Pellegrini. We couldn't attract another manager with anything like the CV Benitez has.

It isn't "suddenly recalling" or "selective memory" either. Most people, bar a few complete loons on RAWK that write poetry about him, are well aware of his flaws. Just that, in comparison to the current incumbent, and any other manager that would fancy the job, they are comfortably outweighed by his eye for a player, tactical nous, experience, pedigree in Europe, and history of winning trophies.

I'm not sure about that. I think a lot is to do with him being the last significantly successful manager. Until someone else matches or betters him, people will look back to him.

The same phrases appear... 'for all his faults, he would have done this...' or 'wouldn't have let that happen...'

I can see what you mean about City have hope of someone better, whilst Liverpool (currently) probably won't get anyone with a comparable CV, but I still think it's mostly about looking back at the last decent period of time more than his CV.

I'm not sure about that. I think a lot is to do with him being the last significantly successful manager. Until someone else matches or betters him, people will look back to him.

The same phrases appear... 'for all his faults, he would have done this...' or 'wouldn't have let that happen...'

I can see what you mean about City have hope of someone better, whilst Liverpool (currently) probably won't get anyone with a comparable CV, but I still think it's mostly about looking back at the last decent period of time more than his CV.

Part of the CV that shows he's a decent manager was acquired whilst he was here, he did after all win the Champion's League with a team that included Josemi - I'd say that most people who rate him as a manager are judging the CV itself in the same way as any other manager's though - it includes titles, UEFA Cup and Champion's League wins, so it's hardly bad.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Who's fault will it be this time?

Not sure, but if he wins something it won't be because of him it'll be because of the money and the team he inherited.

• 2 weeks later...