You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart Watch / Fitness Band

Brownie

I wouldn't mind one of those as it's difficult to monitor pace/distance whilst my phones in my pocket! I can't afford one outright at the minute and they are £250 on Very but you can pay it off over a year.

Currently 195 on Millets

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/232521-garmin-forerunner-235-gps-sports-watch.html/831943/?istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istItemId=xtqqlpiiit&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImIfvtued1wIVLrvtCh1t2w7gEAQYASABEgKZuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

or Blacks

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/232521-garmin-forerunner-235-gps-watch-black.html/831943/?istCompanyId=d92b362f-ac8a-4a8a-87ca-c56eafad7955&istItemId=xtrmlarapm&istBid=tzit&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImIfvtued1wIVLrvtCh1t2w7gEAQYAiABEgLk0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As I said, I bought mine on a flash sale on Amazon, so worth checking daily.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind one of those as it's difficult to monitor pace/distance whilst my phones in my pocket! I can't afford one outright at the minute and they are £250 on Very but you can pay it off over a year.

And Black Friday isnt far away

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon have this at £140, for the next 12 hours as part of the Black Friday build up

Got the Apple Watch 3 through air miles as a present to myself for the work travel I’ve been doing. Had it a week and am loving it which surprises me - I didn’t think that I’d be that impressed but the fitness apps are pushing me to do more and I’m actually more responsive to messages and mails than I was before

Anyone got any app recommendations.

Got the Apple Watch 3 through air miles as a present to myself for the work travel I’ve been doing. Had it a week and am loving it which surprises me - I didn’t think that I’d be that impressed but the fitness apps are pushing me to do more and I’m actually more responsive to messages and mails than I was before

Anyone got any app recommendations.

If you do lots of travelling, I really like getting notifications from the airline(s) when a gate open etc. instead of constantly checking a bord or a phone etc. real handy if you travel loads.

Not sure whether to get back into fitness watches. I had a fitbit which I liked, but after a while I found the constant monitoring of my activity to be a bit nagging. It broke, and I went back to my old G-Shock and haven't really missed it. The heart rate monitor is the only thing that really interests me into grabbing another one.

While trying not to sound like a dinosaur(and failing miserably!) can I ask what these things do differently from simply using your stopwatch on your normal watch while at the gym or going on a run or bike ride?

Mine for example has a heart rate monitor that tells me how i have been sleeping, its pretty usefull to see and tell me when i should go to bed, it also has a built in gps that shows where im running, how fast im running, how long between every km and that i can improve, inbuilt 2gb hdd for music and bluetooth so i dont need to carry my phone to training, it also has personal trainer that tells me what to do. It has some other features that dont work where i live, like a wallet so i should not need to carry my wallet if that was working. Its just a very cool item if you use it fully.

I’ve had a Fitbit Charge HR and when it broke it was still under warranty so Fitbit upgraded me to a Fitbit Charge 2 a few months ago. When this one breaks or I want a new one I wouldn’t ever by a Fitbit. They are good for tracking your steps etc and it’s good for your HR if your only doing moderate exercis, as soon as your HR is going into what they call peak it goes off and displays “ instead of what your HR is. I wear mine to work all day, to the gym, when I play football, everywhere. Sometimes whilst I’m playing football I’ll check it and it’ll display “ so it’s not tracking my HR at all times, I’d have played football non stop running for 90 mins and it’ll say I’ve only done about 20 mins cardio. It’s worked now and again fully but reading forums and things it’s a common fault with Fitbits, I’ve had one for about 2 years and never again.

I’ve had a Fitbit Charge HR and when it broke it was still under warranty so Fitbit upgraded me to a Fitbit Charge 2 a few months ago. When this one breaks or I want a new one I wouldn’t ever by a Fitbit. They are good for tracking your steps etc and it’s good for your HR if your only doing moderate exercis, as soon as your HR is going into what they call peak it goes off and displays “ instead of what your HR is. I wear mine to work all day, to the gym, when I play football, everywhere. Sometimes whilst I’m playing football I’ll check it and it’ll display “ so it’s not tracking my HR at all times, I’d have played football non stop running for 90 mins and it’ll say I’ve only done about 20 mins cardio. It’s worked now and again fully but reading forums and things it’s a common fault with Fitbits, I’ve had one for about 2 years and never again.

Bugger, just bought the missus one for Xmas

Like I said mate it all depends what she uses it for.

I tend to use mine for the HR monitor so it’s shit for me, if she doesn’t really do intense training or HIIT it’ll be brilliant, tracks your steps quite accurately and tracks your HR very well until you do intense training, just for a day to day tracking of your resting HR and sleep tracking it’s well worth the moderate price. I won’t buy myself one again though because I do loads of intense gym work and football training.

Like I said mate it all depends what she uses it for.

I tend to use mine for the HR monitor so it’s shit for me, if she doesn’t really do intense training or HIIT it’ll be brilliant, tracks your steps quite accurately and tracks your HR very well until you do intense training, just for a day to day tracking of your resting HR and sleep tracking it’s well worth the moderate price. I won’t buy myself one again though because I do loads of intense gym work and football training.

Cheers, should be ok then, she’s not into high intensity stuff

Edit: luckily for me, before someone else says it

Ive not experienced that with my ionic.

My heartrate has been up to 180 while ive checked my watch.

Ive not experienced that with my ionic.

My heartrate has been up to 180 while ive checked my watch.

Ionic is the new one isn’t it? More like a proper watch?

Where I wear it in Work that would be too big to fit under gloves and things like that so the size of the Charge is perfect but it just doesn’t do what it’s meant to do all the time, I have the odd occasions where it says I’ve had like 20 mins in peak zone but it’s usually a rarity.

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine.

I'd been looking for a replacement everyday watch for ages and had been step counting through the Health app on my phone. The Charge does both things brilliantly.

I also love all the mini challenges you can set up for yourself on the dashboard.

The only thing I havent figured is how to measure my activity during yoga classes.

It has no specifically yoga setting so set it as 'workout.' At the end of the hour the thing had registered 64 calories. If I'd sat on the sofa eating crisps for the hour I'd have burned more calories than that.

For the moment it measures my cycle to and bike to the studio so at least its registering that as an activity for the day (just one of my mini challenges).

Its definitely encouraged me to be more active. If she's at all interested in health and activity I think she'll love