You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Smart Watch / Fitness Band

Brownie

Has anyone got one? My watch is fucked so need a new one and wondered whether the tech is at a decent enough level yet to warrant a purchase?

I've done a bit of research but nothing better than real experience.

I'd prefer something with GPS so that you don't have to take your phone when running.

Guest Super Sub

Has anyone got one? My watch is fucked so need a new one and wondered whether the tech is at a decent enough level yet to warrant a purchase?

I've done a bit of research but nothing better than real experience.

I'd prefer something with GPS so that you don't have to take your phone when running.

From the adverts I was under the impression that the watch just provides a visual display and the phone still does all the work and just transmits the data to the watch for it to be displayed.

I may be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Fitbit surge - it's around 190 quid but doubles as a watch as well! Easier to charge than the previous fitbits (not too difficult to achieve), though still with the proprietary charger (why I struggle with Apple and its insular tech). 

I lost a fitbit because the stupid band was so flimsy, but this one is like a watch - so much more secure. It does heart-rate monitoring and is much more comfortable to wear. You need to make sure you clean the strap at least a couple of times a week, as you can still get that rash, but it's nowhere near as bad as the other ones. It's not waterproof, though, like the Misfit ones but it's really good.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/fitbit-surge-fitness-watch/aid:814905?gclid=CjwKEAjwwN-rBRD-oMzT6aO_wGwSJABwEIkJxqEabJ7vGwa-Um2Tn170IAjdtCGgIGat8qnHu8K_yhoCpsjw_wcB

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest davelfc

I bought a MI Band about three months ago for £14. It tracks my steps and tracks my sleep. It has an Android and IOS app and a full charge lasts about two months. 

My daughter recently purchased an apple watch, although she then found out she could not wear it for work. Less than a day old she offered it to me as a gift. Nice gesture but I packed it back up for her and told her to get the refund. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm looking at the Fitbit charge as a watch replacement.

What do people like about it?

PS Happy Birthday for the 3rd, Furmedge

Cheers Cath. I liked the charge but needed something to use as an everyday watch as well so upgraded to the S3 Gear.

The Charge gives you what you need. Time, steps and notifications. I didn't have the HR version so couldn't comment on its accuracy.

I've got the Apple Watch 2 and it's very good. Haven't worn a watch since I was a kid but i'm going out on the bike a lot these days and was using Strava on the phone. The watch give you real-time info as you're going, and being able to take calls and see texts is handy. It's got GPS built in.

Also, the 'Workout' app is good in itself. There are quick-start buttons for several gym activities as well as outdoor, so I have a good record of what I've done and it genuinely keeps me motivated to do more.

I'm finding that the apps I would mainly use my phone for have good Watch versions (Timer/Strava/Music 0 through Spotify and Songs controls) so I'm using the phone a lot less.

Waterproof n'all but I haven't tested that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I want one for running, with accurate heart rate monitoring and GPS.

I have the Forerunner 235. 

It seems to over estimate your steps but is spot on for everything else. The HRM is built into the watch and seems very accurate.

As 1892 said, wait for a deal from Amazon. 

I bought mine a year ago for 190 off Amazon, currently 218 on there. 

• Upvote 1

I bought the Fitbit Charge this week. I’m a step tracking bore.

I’m a little bit suspicious that it’s a bit on the generous side so I’m working on 10000 as an absolute minimum.

It’s cool for an everyday watch but what happens when I want to put on a nice watch?!?!

I have the Forerunner 235.

It seems to over estimate your steps but is spot on for everything else. The HRM is built into the watch and seems very accurate.

As 1892 said, wait for a deal from Amazon.

I bought mine a year ago for 190 off Amazon, currently 218 on there.

I wouldn't mind one of those as it's difficult to monitor pace/distance whilst my phones in my pocket! I can't afford one outright at the minute and they are £250 on Very but you can pay it off over a year.