You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our best Centre Midfielder

Lucky Pierre

We all know that the average blue nose knows more about our history than even the most dedicated Liverpool fan.

Naturally then, it came as no surprise to me when, in work on Friday, a bitter started up a conversation about all our midfielders that have been better than Steven Gerrard. It brought a smile to my face as I knew I would never be starting a conversation of who was the best out of Sheedy, Reid, Cahill and Osman, but I also thought I'd put it to the forum.

So, who is our best Centre midfielder and why? 

If anyone's interested, the bloo picked McMahon, Souness and Case ahead of Gerrard.

We all know that the average blue nose knows more about our history than even the most dedicated Liverpool fan.

Naturally then, it came as no surprise to me when, in work on Friday, a bitter started up a conversation about all our midfielders that have been better than Steven Gerrard. It brought a smile to my face as I knew I would never be starting a conversation of who was the best out of Sheedy, Reid, Cahill and Osman, but I also thought I'd put it to the forum.

So, who is our best Centre midfielder and why? 

If anyone's interested, the bloo picked McMahon, Souness and Case ahead of Gerrard.

Case? How old is this bloke? I don't remember that much of Case, but I'm very surprised to say the least that he's being mentioned here.

Of the three I'd say only in the case of Souness could there be a real question.

To say that McMahon is better that Gerrard is a little like saying Paul Walsh was better than Suarez.

• Upvote 1

Simply has to be gerrard. Unlike souness, case et all, he's spent his entire career to date here.

We've had some brilliant outstanding midfield players like callaghan (although he started on the wing), hughes, cormack, hamann etc but not one of them in my opinion, has had the overall effect as gerrard has.

Is it our best centre midfield, or best CM player? I didn't get to see Souness, so I'd have four - Molby, Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano - in midfield. I guess Gerrard at the front of the queue for best CM with everything he's achieved, because I've seen it. But Molby not too far behind for me.

Simply has to be gerrard. Unlike souness, case et all, he's spent his entire career to date here.

We've had some brilliant outstanding midfield players like callaghan (although he started on the wing), hughes, cormack, hamann etc but not one of them in my opinion, has had the overall effect as gerrard has.

Gerrard's up there with Kenny and Barnes as our best ever, but he's not a centre mid.

Our best centre mid was Souness.

• Upvote 1

He's in his 40s so would have caught the end of the 70s just about. 

Any he's probably used about 12 years of his life watching us on VHS.

About my age then, and I've also spent a few hours watching VHS.

If you're younger than him I'd guess the Jimmy Case thing is just something he came up with expecting it'd be difficult for you to argue. He's wrong obviously.

Watched the 84 European cup final on youtube lately. Souness totally bossed the game. Its like the opposition were afraid to go near him. Superb CM. I think Gerrard was marginally a better player but Souness was definitely a better CM.

I'd recommend giving the game a watch if you have 90 minutes to spare. It'll let the younger crew how some can gave an affinity with him despite his actions as boss

gerrard did his best work on the right and in the hole.

mcmahon is a good shout as an all round midfielder.

souness was gone when I started supporting liverpool.

molby is one of my favourite ever players although dont think he made many tackles.

Gerrard's best ever season for me was 03/04. Absolutely superb he was, playing CM.

But we were shite. Last year and 2002 were the only seasons he regularly played CM and we were anything but poor. I just don't think he suited playing CM in a 2 especially when he wanted (and was able) to push on.

But we were shite. Last year and 2002 were the only seasons he regularly played CM and we were anything but poor. I just don't think he suited playing CM in a 2 especially when he wanted (and was able) to push on.

That fact that our team wasn't good made his performances even better.

We finished 4th that year.

That fact that our team wasn't good made his performances even better.

We finished 4th that year.

We got 4th by default because nobody else could win a game in the run in and we only got 60 points. Hence Houllier losing his job. Gerrard did play well in the last few games in particular to get us over the line but he was much better overall in seasons like 05/06 and 08/09.