You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

http://www.cheddarvalleygazette.co.uk/Jeremy-Clarkson-fired-just-years-aftyer-Gear/story-26230188-detail/story.html

- from the Cheddar Valley Gazette

Jeremy Clarkson Fired Just Two Years After Top Gear Films in Cheddar Gorge

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been told his contract won't be renewed by the BBC.

In a statement BBC Director-General, Tony Hall said: "It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract."

The decision came in the face of a million signature petition protesting at the possibility Clarkson would be fired.

It comes just two years after Clarkson's colleague James May filmed a sequence with a double-decker bus in Cheddar Gorge.

Clarkson is not believed to have been there for the filming.

Editorial meeting:

"Anything for the front page, Jimmy?"

"Nothing, Chief - we're struggling."

"Clarkson!  Get me a local angle on Clarkson!"

"Got it!  He wasn't here two years ago!"

"We're in business, people!!"

• Upvote 6

Not local. But bizarre. I suppose it could lead to some embarrassing situations. Conversation in the school canteen:

"I love to lick Nutella slowly."

"I take Nutella spread across toast."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30993608

French authorities tried to stop parents naming their kid the French version of my (real) name: Zebulon and needed to fly a Parisian Zebulon to Marseille to confirm he hadn't suffered unduly from his name

The bird was gutted she didn't get to meet you properly when I told her your name mate.

She thinks it's brilliant and reckons your folks are great.

*Looks forward to lifey assuming FG's crown for the most 'unusual' children's names*

http://www.cheddarvalleygazette.co.uk/Jeremy-Clarkson-fired-just-years-aftyer-Gear/story-26230188-detail/story.html

- from the Cheddar Valley Gazette

Jeremy Clarkson Fired Just Two Years After Top Gear Films in Cheddar Gorge

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been told his contract won't be renewed by the BBC.

In a statement BBC Director-General, Tony Hall said: "It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract."

The decision came in the face of a million signature petition protesting at the possibility Clarkson would be fired.

It comes just two years after Clarkson's colleague James May filmed a sequence with a double-decker bus in Cheddar Gorge.

Clarkson is not believed to have been there for the filming.

Editorial meeting:

"Anything for the front page, Jimmy?"

"Nothing, Chief - we're struggling."

"Clarkson!  Get me a local angle on Clarkson!"

"Got it!  He wasn't here two years ago!"

"We're in business, people!!"

I love that 'local angle stuff. The bigger the story the more tenuous link the better

Yes. Brilliant.

For 'brilliant' read 'parents set child on course for lifelong bullying and stereotyping.'

A lot to be said for 'solid' names that allow children to develop their own personality free from others' prejudices

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

For 'brilliant' read 'parents set child on course for lifelong bullying and stereotyping.'

A lot to be said for 'solid' names that allow children to develop their own personality free from others' prejudices

What makes you think Vivian Rush Cider Tits is going to be bullied?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything the Plymouth Herald can do...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Man-wearing-adult-nappy-asked-leave-Plymouth/story-26332231-detail/story.html

A MAN who visited Tesco wearing nothing but an adult nappy says he did it because he “had that Saturday feeling”.

Anthony Bradford was asked to leave the Transit Way store at the weekend, and was pictured coming out in a state of undress.

Eyewitnesses said they thought Mr Bradford had been thrown out of the store, but a Tesco spokesman said he left willingly.

The 26-year-old from Stonehouse denied the stunt was part of a bet, telling The Herald: “I had the Saturday feeling. It’s all good fun.”

A Tesco spokesman said: “We kindly asked the man to leave the store because some of our customers were offended by his costume. He left without any problems.”

... the Echo can do better.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-who-looks-totally-naked-9036824#rlabs=1

A car passenger told of her shock after a man who appeared to be naked drove past her on the M62 heading towards Liverpool.

Dawn Hindley was so dumbfounded that she took a photo – telling the ECHO the driver looked “totally starkers”.

The interior designer said: “We were on the M62 heading into Liverpool. His car was alongside us and I thought ‘he’s totally starkers’.

“He was in an old, left hand-drive car. I’ve no idea why he wasn’t dressed, it wasn’t the warmest weather.”

She added: “I was driving into Liverpool from Bolton to meet a client. I cracked up laughing when I saw him.

“He never looked over, even when I took a photo of him. It was a bit of a shock, to say the least, and I’d be intrigued to find out why he didn’t have any clothes on.”