You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

The first one lacks 'the hero's journey', the cornerstone of every single story ever told since Ancient Greece.

Oh I know.

It was like Lucas thought, well a lot of the audience will be grown ups, so I better try and have some kind of intelligent story (hence the interminable politics shit) but there'll be loads of kids so I need some action and some 'cute' characters.

Depends if you enjoy knowing about the process of film making I suppose. It's essentialy just a documentary.

I get that but if I was watching a 'making of' it would more likely be about a great film rather than one of the shit Star Wars prequels.

Anyway, the new film looks good, hopefully they make a better job of these ones.

If this is released in the US first I can see a holiday in the offing.

We (being a group of like-minded chaps) did this for the Phantom Menace - thankfully we were in Las Vegas when we watched that abomination, so we could immediately go out and throw ourselves into the modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah in an attempt to erase the hideous experience from memory.

I've got some faith in JJ Abrams after the good work he did with Star Trek.

Still remember going to see the Phantom Menace with my best mate when we were about 9 and we both were absolutely devastated by its shitness. I then went to watch the second one with my older brother who got me into Star Wars. Again, complete and utter shit. Never bothered with the third. 

Not sure how the new ones will turn out. I was kinda hoping they'd distance themselves from the old cast, but I guess it might work out well if they're roles are kept to a minimum. The trailer didn't really do anything for me at all. Apart from the music it was pretty lame I thought. I guess they don't want to give much away or something. 

• Upvote 1

*Geek alert*

The lightsaber is a cross guard lightsaber, it's appeared before in the star wars universe in some of the comic's, but not with a left and right cross guard. The theory is that the left and right portals are the exhaust and because it's an older more primitive model the beam itself isn't solid, it's less controlled, that's why it sort of looks more like a flame. 

• Upvote 1

I liked the look of the trailer. X-wings over water looked fantastic, and I felt dizzy watching the Millennium Falcon do those moves! I can't help but wonder if the new Sith Lord is Benedict Cumberbatch. I hope it is. I'm gutted to have to wait so long for it to come out. 

The original three films were excellent, with the Ewok one being weakest, but still good. 

The three prequel films were OK I thought. I think criticizing them has been overdone. The whole Jar-Jar Binks thing was stupid and really let it down, and then with the technology advancing to make the CGI more prevalent they went to town on that, and then the acting was iffy, and it just wasn't the original three films... but even with all sorts of flaws I thought they were still OK. 

JJ Abrams has done some excellent work so there are lots of reasons to be hopeful about this. Can't wait. 

Cumberbatch is ace and I be pleased if he was in it but... I don't think he's in it.

Yeah he's a good actor but he's all over the place, he's rumoured to back as Khan in the new Star Trek film. Pissed me off the way they went down that route in the prequels, shoehorning people like Samuel L Jackson into it because he was a fan. Casting Ewan McReggor too. The beauty of the original cast is that they were originally unknown. Can just imagine the cum tsunami in the British media if Cumberbatch is anywhere near this. I don't want these new films to be about actors, I want them to be about Star Wars.

Rumoured to be Serkis's voice in the trailer apparently.