You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I love Star Wars.

I normally loathe sequels, but I have to say Empire Strikes Back has stood the test of time.

The third film was a 2-hr advert for cuddly toys.  Even as a kid I was appalled by it.  But it did have Jabba the Hut in it, which was a small mercy.

Then "that" happened.  That which can never be spoken about.

It would require a hitherto-lost and recently uncovered extended nude sequence of late-70s era Princess Leah and a free £50 note to get me to watch this.

I can remember like yesterday the excitement of going to see the first one with my cousins , must have been one of the last to see it, Christmas 1977 and then to see Santa. Going from seeing the most exciting thing ever as a 6 year old then getting a shitty balloon and tin badge of Santa. What a crash back down to earth that was.

Interesting...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42867

Early thoughts: this looks like being the real deal, a return to the core values (practical effects! Practical droids!) and, more importantly, the feel of classic Star Wars. 

It's also more notable for what it doesn't show as much as it shows. So, contrary to initial rumours, we don't get a glimpse of the old stagers returning to the franchise. There's no Mark Hamill as a bearded Luke Skywalker, no Harrison Ford as Han Solo, no Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa, no Chewie, no Threepio, no Artoo. 

What we do get is a glimpse at the new blood that will drive the film - John Boyega, the hero of the film, intriguingly wearing an Imperial Stormtrooper's outfit. Some rumours had suggested that Boyega's character would be a guy with a troubled past trying to find the right path. This definitely tallies with that. 

Then we have Daisy Ridley as the film's heroine (believed to be called Kira), Oscar Isaac as an X-Wing pilot lining up in formation with a squadron of fellow pilots, and... the new Sith threat. The dark voiceover that begins the trailer - "there has been an awakening. Have you felt it?" - not only tees up the title, but seems to come from a villain who'll be making life difficult for our heroes.

That villain may well be the Sith Lord seen near the end of the teaser, sporting a souped-up red lightsaber that's more ragged and, literally, laser sword-like than previous models. Speculation already suggests the voice could belong to Benedict Cumberbatch, but as his involvement in the film hasn't been confirmed, we'd imagine it will come more from Adam Driver. 

And then, in lieu of faces of old friends, we get an astonishing shot that heralds the return of the coolest spaceship in movie history - the Millennium Falcon, swooping and gliding and loop-the-looping across the sand dunes of Tattooine as it seeks to avoid any Imperial entanglements. With the one-two punch of that, followed quickly by John Williams' Star Wars theme, the trailer ends on a triumphant note that had the entire Empire office bursting into applause. And we're a jaded, cynical bunch.