You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Never Rated Rodgers Thread

Strontium

Now that we're confirmed mid table mediocrities, I can come out and admit that I never particularly rated Brendan Rodgers.

I've never been able to bring myself to sing his name. I always felt that he was a lucky manager, whose team performed scarcely better than Kenny's but lucked into an amazing run of form, fuelled solely by the best player in the world hitting the form of his life and dragging the rest of the team with him.

I gave him every chance. I was prepared to overlook the sub-David Brentisms and the embarrassing goings on in his private life. But even last season, when we almost won the title, there were major nagging doubts. The defensive frailities, the tactical naivety. This season's transfers just nailed it for me.

I feel much better to have gotten that off my chest. I surely can't be the only one.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Now that we're confirmed mid table mediocrities, I can come out and admit that I never particularly rated Brendan Rodgers.

I've never been able to bring myself to sing his name. I always felt that he was a lucky manager, whose team performed scarcely better than Kenny's but lucked into an amazing run of form, fuelled solely by the best player in the world hitting the form of his life and dragging the rest of the team with him.

I gave him every chance. I was prepared to overlook the sub-David Brentisms and the embarrassing goings on in his private life. But even last season, when we almost won the title, there were major nagging doubts. The defensive frailities, the tactical naivety. This season's transfers just nailed it for me.

I feel much better to have gotten that off my chest. I surely can't be the only one.

We don't agree on much, but...

Ifs, buts and maybes.

Like him or hate him, rate him or don't rate him, Suarez or no Suarez, Brendan has come the closest to delivering our first title in a quarter of a century.

To start a thread with this title on the morning that's in it smacks of cuntism (shouldn't be surprised given the OP).

I'm willing to give him more time, purely on the basis of last year, although I see next to no light at the end of the tunnel.

• Upvote 6

Dont you have to finish mid table at the end of the season to be mid table mediocrities?

I wasnt enanmored when he was named manager after Dalglish was sacked. I wasnt impressed by how we played in his first season but I thought he should be given a second season.

That turned out very well.

We are struggling this season and he needs to address that, I have never denied it. Some people are going overboard but that's up to them.

He should be given to the end of the season to turn it around.

Agreed. The inability or unwillingness to fix blatant problems always worried me but obviously, while we were doing well you couldn't say it, all the same flaws were there though, defensive chaos, no organisation, naive tactics. The capitulation to Palace last season was no difference to the way we got mugged against arsenal the season before, nobody in midfield, no lessons learned. Every time we entered the transfer market we made no attempt to correct it, instead seemingly just collecting more attackers and stacking them up for the same position.

Have said from word go we needed experience, we needed someone who'd achieved things and managed in big games, and that Liverpool was not the place to learn your trade. 

Complete bollocks that his team performed scarcely better then Kennys, even in Rodgers first season their were excellent performances where we battered teams even without Suarez.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Guest davelfc

I never rated Rodgers at the start but after last season and coming to within a whisker of winning the Premier League he won me over.

I think a lot of fans were not that convinced at the start, given his inexperience it's not remarkable.

What is remarkable is the lack of class bringing it all up now in the way you have.

• Upvote 3

Always baffle me when people get shouted down when they say they don't rate a manager or player. Unless they're being disrespected, sworn about etc I don't see how it's a problem - it's just a difference of opinion surely. 

We all know what your type really thinks: "Rodgers is a cunt and I want him fired yesterday."

Go on, admit it!

I always felt that he was a lucky manager, whose team performed scarcely better than Kenny's but lucked into an amazing run of form, fuelled solely by the best player in the world hitting the form of his life and dragging the rest of the team with him.

I agree with this, not out of antipathy for Rodgers but for the simple fact that everything has gone to hell without Suarez in the side. The people who think that it was Rodgers' doing simply can't explain why we are a shadow of the side we were last year.

No, I don't want him sacked now. Give him until the end of the year and then decide.

I don't think our run last season was down to Suarez, I think it was Rodgers and that he's a good coach, he's not without ability by a long shot and I think one day he could potentially be a very good manager, I just always thought he had glaring weaknesses. The hope was that he'd address them but he hasn't, this will be confirmed in January where we don't buy a DM but instead buy 15 wingers. 

I believe Rodgers is out of his depth and should be fired

I concluded  that after he signed Joe Allen and Fabio Borini and am on record at the time on this here site

He buys mid table players for a mid table side. Even when we pay top money,  they're still mid table players. Lambert and Baloteli are the kind of players Harry Redknapp would have signed if he'd been asked to rescue Norwich from the relegation zone with eight games to go but didn't have any money.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't that fussed about him at first. But he won me over last season.

Theres a part of me that wonders how much of last season was down to Suarez and Sturridge.

But then there was games like the Arsenal demolition, that wasn't just about Suarez and Sturridge, that was pure raw intensity and a team drilled to within an inch of perfection.

I just can't shake off the feeling that he's a good manager whos just lost his way a bit. 

I'm just desperately hoping he has some sort of epiphany and begins to make the sorts of decisions that can turn things around. 

Edit: The poor signings though, that shit has to end. Be it him or the club, someone needs to get that fucking sorted

• Upvote 1

Football appointments tend to be reactive, from the foreigner Rafa to the Englishman Roy, from the gnarled old veteran Kenny to the fresh faced novice Brendan.

Brendan was not appointed for his management or PL experience, or for his European expertise or transfer acumen, just on his reputation as a promising coach, which he was, no more, no less. He has delivered on what he was already good at, and struggled with what he had no experience of.

I think he went into the summer thinking that he was one of the best managers in the world, and left the rain drenched touchline at Selhurst Park aware that he isn’t, and I credit him with his honest admission that our current troubles are down to him.

His drooling praise for Suarez as a “great man” always left me feeling uneasy. A great footballer yes, but a man who couldn’t wait to plot for a move as soon as he left our shores on international duty. Now with, Suarez gone, the realization dawns that the Rodgers Philosophy may have been little more than the “do what Martinez did philosophy” at Swansea, and the “get it to Suarez philosophy” here hitherto.

But he was coaching when Swansea got promoted and kept them up, and delivered a brilliant season for us last season. He does have skills. Yet he has never been anywhere long enough to build a team. Does he have an eye for a player in the transfer market? Or is he best at improving players whom others have spotted? We are about to find out.

• Upvote 1