You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

6 hours ago, magicrat said:

You maybe right but its possible contract terms where breached and there is a always an argument that ownership of anything doesn't pass until full payment has been made. The question is whether Cardiff are legally bound to pay which without knowing all the facts we just don't know. That was my point and that it would be better resolved quietly . Maybe Cardiff are being total cunts but I prefer we wait and see before slagging them off.

As I say, I'd have far more belief Cardiff weren't being cunts if they made a brief statement to explain their position "this is how it is, we will resolve and in the mean time say no more on the matter". Once they started briefing ssn with shite about plane ownership they lost all credibility for me and i remembered they were Cardiff. They'll get no benefit of the doubt from me because of that. They'll be cunts till they stop acting like cunts. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

As I say, I'd have far more belief Cardiff weren't being cunts if they made a brief statement to explain their position "this is how it is, we will resolve and in the mean time say no more on the matter". Once they started briefing ssn with shite about plane ownership they lost all credibility for me and i remembered they were Cardiff. They'll get no benefit of the doubt from me because of that. They'll be cunts till they stop acting like cunts. 

I'm not defending anyone only waiting to see what the facts are. It's very emotive when someone dies in tragic circumstances but as we are well aware football at this level is mainly about money and the lawyers will probably end up sorting this one out. No one is trying to short change the player's family as far as I'm aware

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

I'm not defending anyone only waiting to see what the facts are. It's very emotive when someone dies in tragic circumstances but as we are well aware football at this level is mainly about money and the lawyers will probably end up sorting this one out. No one is trying to short change the player's family as far as I'm aware

I've no doubt the lawyers will have a field day. There'll probably be an agent trying to cash on somewhere too. My point really is regardless of all that and even if they're 100% in the right, for Cardiff to start press briefing as they were earlier this week I think is pretty fucking crap and illustrates what they're about. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I've no doubt the lawyers will have a field day. There'll probably be an agent trying to cash on somewhere too. My point really is regardless of all that and even if they're 100% in the right, for Cardiff to start press briefing as they were earlier this week I think is pretty fucking crap and illustrates what they're about. 

I doubt the tabloids gave them much choice . Tell us the story or we will make it up.

In any event take away the tragic deaths of two people and what remains is just another argument over money between two football clubs neither of which I have any interest in, so it doesn't get me to give much of a fuck which one owes or doesn't owe money to the other.

If the player or the pilot got jibbed out of what was rightfully theirs I would be swinging my lantern and pitchfork.

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I doubt the tabloids gave them much choice . Tell us the story or we will make it up.

In any event take away the tragic deaths of two people and what remains is just another argument over money between two football clubs neither of which I have any interest in, so it doesn't get me to give much of a fuck which one owes or doesn't owe money to the other.

If the player or the pilot got jibbed out of what was rightfully theirs I would be swinging my lantern and pitchfork.

Fair enough. I don't know what went in the tabloids as I tend not to read them and only know when people point things out... Well print tabloids! I just had ssn on which is maybe a TV tabloid, I was working from home one day as the story was breaking. From nowhere is was "ssn sources in Cardiff tell us this and tell us that " . 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47187084

"Southampton fans caught making Emiliano Sala Cardiff City taunts"

Pathetic.  Bantz culture coming to it's predictable apotheosis.  They try this on (usually pressing themselves up to the railings dramatically and shite like that) whenever we're down there, so not really a new development.  

4 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cardiff-city-seeking-help-premier-14010307

Cardiff are now looking to pay less for Sala by alleging that they were overcharged due to the agent claiming interest from other clubs.

Tough fuckin shit Cardiff!!

whether anyone else was interested in Sala or not, whether the agent increased the fee or not, they weren’t forced to sign him or pay the fee that they AGREED on.

i hope all the other clubs they claim to be seeking advice from walk away from this

the simple fact is Cardiff wouldn’t have done this had he scored a hatrick in his first game, the fact they are doing it after he died is an utter disgrace 

• Upvote 3

I'd imagine interest in almost every player is hyped up by their agents, Cardiff decided that's what he was worth to them. Surely we can't have a situation where clubs retrospectively decide how much a player is worth, otherwise we're going to owe Bournemouth and Roma a lot of money. 

51 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I'd imagine interest in almost every player is hyped up by their agents, Cardiff decided that's what he was worth to them. Surely we can't have a situation where clubs retrospectively decide how much a player is worth, otherwise we're going to owe Bournemouth and Roma a lot of money. 

Not sure about Roma, they did sell us Borini and Aquilani.

I do understand both sides' viewpoint to some extent, but the way Cardiff have gone about it doesn't portray them in a good light at all. If they've taken issue with the possibility that the agent (Willie McKay, who happens to be a mate of Colin Wanker's) artificially inflated the fee by claiming interest from other clubs, then that sort of thing happens with pretty much every transfer deal so the notion that they've been misled into paying too much should be thrown out. There's a suggestion that Cardiff hadn't got round to arranging insurance, and the chance that they've missed out on compensation because of this might be driving their current actions.

I hope that one of the upshots of this unfortunate mess is that an insurance agreement forms part of the agreements needed BEFORE a transfer deal can be ratified by the governing bodies, rather than something to be arranged afterwards. If it clarifies that the buying is fully responsible for meeting payment terms on a deal once ratified, then there's no grey area. If it means that clubs have to plan for transfers earlier rather than scrambling around on deadline day, then that's a good thing. If it means SSN's deadline day bullshit gets jibbed off, that's a good thing. If it means that Skybet tanks because nobody places bets based on the bullshit peddled by SSN,  then that's a really good thing. And if it means that Jim White pisses off to join Hairy Hands and Martin Tyler's Monkey in the Middle East, then that's a great thing.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Yea but think of all the money we will be getting back from Southampton

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The excess we'd have to pay for Van Dijk would more than cancel that out.

I would say that Southampton received a fair fee for van Dijk. 

If a selling club makes false claims or fails to disclose relevant information ( a false leg maybe) then the buying club will have legal recourse. I don't think we need rule changes to reinforce that . Due diligence is the thing though and if talk about other interested parties is taken at face value then I don't see they have much of a case. I would think in that circumstance the player would have to be complicit too and maybe Sala and his agent were getting a drink out of it somehow. 

Can't see what Cardiffs problem is. They agreed a fee of £15m with Nantes and he was technically their player once he signed a contract with them.  

It's not like some medical report was withheld and he died of a heart attack or an underlying illness that Nantes knew about or chose not to disclose. It's also not like it was a world record fee either and in recent terms of transfers it isn't that high. Cardiff just look petty and come across as cunts.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, No2 said:

Just noticed on MOTD that the lads that waive the big arsenal flags behind the goals are employees rather than supporters.

February 2019 and you've only just worked that out?  I'm not sure if you're kidding.

It's the biggest embarrassment in modern football.  Chelsea do the same co-ordinated cringey big flag wave, but I think theirs is only before the match.  I say "only" but I still sick-up when I see it.

Arsenal football club pay some braindead cheerleaders to wave big flags from pre-specified co-ordinates for "maximum match day impact".  I want to know what Claude thinks of it.  In fact, I think we all already know.