You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Nobody is forced to do anything to do with modern football. But this thread is about the shitness of modern football and if anything epitomises that, it's a double cost kit the team will never wear.

It looks like a kit but was never marketed as a kit, but as part of some exclusive collection so you can't accuse the club of putting it out as a needless 4th kit even if they are obviously trying to make money from it. Also, it's priced the same as the 'elite' shirts the players wear (heat transferred rather than embroidered badges, and a tighter fit etc). I'm not saying the prices of club merchandise is not high, because it is, but I'm merely pointing out that sniping at the club and the owners based on factual inaccuracy as part of a wider disenchantment just makes people like like they're looking for any excuse to put the boot in.

There are several others things for which the club and the owners rightly deserve criticism and even anger.

It looks like a kit but was never marketed as a kit, but as part of some exclusive collection so you can't accuse the club of putting it out as a needless 4th kit even if they are obviously trying to make money from it. Also, it's priced the same as the 'elite' shirts the players wear (heat transferred rather than embroidered badges, and a tighter fit etc). I'm not saying the prices of club merchandise is not high, because it is, but I'm merely pointing out that sniping at the club and the owners based on factual inaccuracy as part of a wider disenchantment just makes people like like they're looking for any excuse to put the boot in.

There are several others things for which the club and the owners rightly deserve criticism and even anger.

It was marketed as the 125th anniversary kit wasn't it?

This probably belongs in a 'shitness of modern sport' thread.

Liverpool are ranked 55th in the list of the world's highest paid sports teams, up from 60th last year. The average annual salary is just under £3.65m which works out to just over £70k per week.

Top in that list are the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder (I don't follow basketball but I've definitely never heard of them!), where the average is £7.15m per year, or over £137k per week. They were 33rd on the list last year so there is either some serious financial doping at that team, or they've got a couple of big names on megabucks.

Football-wise, Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid and the two Manchester clubs all pay an average of more than £100k per week, while Bayern average just below that mark. Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal and (surprisingly) Atletico Madrid all average more than Liverpool. Spurs average just below £10k per week less than Liverpool.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oyvt6yIBqIt3QeOI1kKxm_SVnSG5yr64/view

In football, the best barometer is still wages to turnover though, as it more directly correlates with the strength and success of the team.

My money is on game won+games drawn being a better predictor

• Upvote 1

Can't recall if I've mentioned this before but the number of long double-barreled surnames of young footballers is ridiculous. 

It seems to be more and more common among young British footballers (we have two in our first-team squad alone), but Lazio have a young Serbian player with the surname Milinkovic-Savic. Can't think of any other foreign players with double-barrelled surnames. I don't think it's an upper/middle class thing either, but probably more to do with having parents who aren't together. Like with Shaun Wright-Phillips and his brother Bradley, where their dad Ian Wright wasn't with their mum any more.

The best ever is Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

It seems to be more and more common among young British footballers (we have two in our first-team squad alone), but Lazio have a young Serbian player with the surname Milinkovic-Savic. Can't think of any other foreign players with double-barrelled surnames. I don't think it's an upper/middle class thing either, but probably more to do with having parents who aren't together. Like with Shaun Wright-Phillips and his brother Bradley, where their dad Ian Wright wasn't with their mum any more.

The best ever is Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

I think Ian Wright adopted Shaun and Bradley when they were young, or at least one of them anyway...

Also... I see that Ibe now has Jordan on the back of his shirt....

Can't recall if I've mentioned this before but the number of long double-barreled surnames of young footballers is ridiculous.

A double barreled surname used to mean you were white and upper middle class, now it usually means you are from a working class mixed race background.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing of our older payers falling on hard times when we watch multi millionaires strutting around. 

About time the cancer in the game 'agents' were tackled. Ban them, make the players use the FA who can charge a nominal fee for transfers. The money that would have gone to an agent could then be diverted to reduce ticket prices and set up a charity for ex players. 

That damned TV money should be fed in to, even 10% of it would make a massive difference. 

Never going to happen because greed is consuming this game and the big losers as always are the fans.