You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

Oof. Can't agree with that. Both Amnesiac and In Rainbows were excellent (but not as good) imo.

This will prove contentious, but Neil Young's Weld is the best live album ever.

I like Radiohead it's just as a cohesive album The Bends and OK Computer flow much better. Amnesiac i can't get into, pyramid song is superb, house of cards is great off in rainbows, there are a few tracks like that but i liked the older records better.

I always thought that the underrated Mike McCready was the better guitarist in Pearl Jam. Stone Gossard always got the love in the press though, poss because he used to wing a Les Paul Goldtop back in the day.

Yeah the classic Les Paul vs Strat dynamic that they had, Mc Cready's cocked wah sounds on that solo though are awesome. Both are great in their own right but McCready could really go off on one when he wanted too, whereas Gossard was the more riff orientated.

Yeah the classic Les Paul vs Strat dynamic that they had, Mc Cready's cocked wah sounds on that solo though are awesome. Both are great in their own right but McCready could really go off on one when he wanted too, whereas Gossard was the more riff orientated.

As a guitar player myself I've long had the mantra : a wah pedal covers a multitude of sins.

Defo true of my playing !

Kid A is a very good album. It's a bit loose but there are some outstanding tracks e.g., Everything In Its Right Place, How to Disappear Completely, Idioteque. However it is overrated, Q or NME would have you believe that they were the first band to experiment with obscure / electronic instruments.

What wah you got?

I've had several but I always come back to my Dunlop Original Crybaby. Think they sound fantastic clean and have a subtlety some others lack.

Also really like the Buddah wah, but I think there's very little diff...except for the price tag.

I think that probs the best wah pedal is the Clyde Deluxe. It sounds seriously fantastic and it has all the bells and whistles (and again, it costs a bomb), but I realised that (especially) when playing live I wanted to keep my rig / chain as relatively as simple as possible.

The one knock on the Dunlop wah (for me) is that when playing live, when it's always really noisy, it's really easy to leave your wah open by mistake. It would be nice just to have a simple LED to indicate on / off. There's plenty of mods out there, I know.

• Upvote 1

I did mention that this thread was just for random musical chat ? Well, the band and the song that get me right into metal (when I was around 16) was Venom and The Seven Gates Of Hell !

About 4 years ago, the drummer from Venom (a great lad called Andy, from Newcastle) came to play with my band for a couple of months. He wasn't the greatest drummer I ever played with, although he was good enough, but he hit the skins miles harder than any other drummer I've ever played with.

I've had several but I always come back to my Dunlop Original Crybaby. Think they sound fantastic clean and have a subtlety some others lack.

Also really like the Buddah wah, but I think there's very little diff...except for the price tag.

I think that probs the best wah pedal is the Clyde Deluxe. It sounds seriously fantastic and it has all the bells and whistles (and again, it costs a bomb), but I realised that (especially) when playing live I wanted to keep my rig / chain as relatively as simple as possible.

The one knock on the Dunlop wah (for me) is that when playing live, when it's always really noisy, it's really easy to leave your wah open by mistake. It would be nice just to have a simple LED to indicate on / off. There's plenty of mods out there, I know.

Yeah the Clyde deluxe is awesome no doubt, i've never owned a Fulltone sadly. I had the 535q crybaby wah by Dunlop for years, can't beat the crybaby. I've been waiting to try the Clyde McCoy wah that Dunlop have just brought out, it's meant to be just like the original vox clyde mccoy that Hendrix used to play. Your right though they need led indicators on the side or something to show they're on.

Thought it might prove interesting to put a few things out there and just see where it takes us. Like I said, random.

Sugar's Copper Blue is one of the best pop albums ever recorded.

As much as I love Radiohead, I still find Kid A unlistenable.

1. Haven't listened to that for maybe 10 years but you're right.  The obvious example for the uninitiated being

2. Same.  I don't mind music that challenges me but ultimately I listen to music for entertainment not as a second job.

I did mention that this thread was just for random musical chat ? Well, the band and the song that get me right into metal (when I was around 16) was Venom and The Seven Gates Of Hell !

About 4 years ago, the drummer from Venom (a great lad called Andy, from Newcastle) came to play with my band for a couple of months. He wasn't the greatest drummer I ever played with, although he was good enough, but he hit the skins miles harder than any other drummer I've ever played with.

Hah! Venom are one of the few bands who clould claim to be as metal as Manowar, proper Spinal Tap tackle.  Loving it.

• Upvote 2

Even better...?

I know what you mean about Who and Oasis - a few good singles; but The Rolling Stones?  Exile on Main Street is a wonderful album!

And is Terry Hall the coolest person to ever grab a mic....?

• Upvote 1

Pete Doherty, despite being a complete knobhead, is one of the best songwriters of the past 10 years or so and Libertines should have become a better group than the Arctic Monkeys but didn't due to the aforementioned knobheadedness

The Rolling Stones should have split up after Exile on Main Street

Beck's Odelay should be much higher on the lists of all-time great records

Cat Stevens is much better than people remember and Father & Son is actually a good record destroyed by boy bands

Shaun Ryder isn't the greatest English poet since Yeats but he can still produce an intelligently twisted lyric better than most lyricists since Lennon

I don't really get Radiohead and sometimes think they are mostly a cooler version of Coldplay

Probably the above should be on the Amnesty thread

Oh yeah, and Imagine is actually one of John Lennon's worst songs (although that's still pretty good in relative terms)

• Upvote 6