You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Twin Peaks.

Frankenhooker

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 17 was pretty good, but 18 was just a massive 'Fuck You' to everyone that had stuck with it.

As well as the fact none of it related to anything whatsoever, just loads of annoyingly shit little things, like No Bobby, no idea who the guy in the cell was, the massive clunking exposition at the start of episode 17 about 'Judy', Major Briggs etc (when was this supposed to have happened? When was Cooper supposed to have had a notion that he might disappear?) 

Very very frustrating. 

Episode 17 was pretty good, but 18 was just a massive 'Fuck You' to everyone that had stuck with it.

As well as the fact none of it related to anything whatsoever, just loads of annoyingly shit little things, like No Bobby, no idea who the guy in the cell was, the massive clunking exposition at the start of episode 17 about 'Judy', Major Briggs etc (when was this supposed to have happened? When was Cooper supposed to have had a notion that he might disappear?) 

Very very frustrating. 

I didn't even think episode 17 was all that to be honest. That last episode was a definitive fuck you to everyone from Lynch.

I didn't even think episode 17 was all that to be honest. That last episode was a definitive fuck you to everyone from Lynch.

The way it ended has certainly soured my enjoyment of some of the high points of this series, notable episode 8 and episodes 14-16.

I think I may have  mentioned earlier in this thread that some of the early episodes seem to be about the wider Lynch universe and putting Twin Peaks in that context - the last hour was more like Lost Highway/Mullholland Drive than anything else.  

• Upvote 1

The way it ended has certainly soured my enjoyment of some of the high points of this series, notable episode 8 and episodes 14-16.

I think I may have  mentioned earlier in this thread that some of the early episodes seem to be about the wider Lynch universe and putting Twin Peaks in that context - the last hour was more like Lost Highway/Mullholland Drive than anything else.  

Lets be honest here. The whole season was a complete waste of time looking back. The enjoyment factor was probably more to do with nostalgia of another season of a great show. It just dragged and dragged, and then some more.

Like most good things, it should have been left alone.

Lets be honest here. The whole season was a complete waste of time looking back. The enjoyment factor was probably more to do with nostalgia of another season of a great show. It just dragged and dragged, and then some more.

Like most good things, it should have been left alone.

The last point is valid, but I did genuinely enjoy the episodes in the weeks leading up to this finale. That is honest and not nostalgia-based.

That is what makes the ending so annoying - about 6 weeks ago I'd thought I was out, he pulled me back in and then this!

Episode 8 "The birth of BOB" was possibly the greatest, most outrageous episode of television ever.

The biggest intrigue to me about the whole finale was Diane's morning after letter to Cooper, regarding Richard and Linda. It was clear that when they both travelled into the motel it was some 40 years earlier than when Cooper exited. The letter suggests that Richard and Linda are Cooper and Diane; did they both travel into the future / alternate reality via an electro-magnetic kink in the astral plane ? It might explain why Linda / Diane actually saw herself peeking from the carport whilst Coop went into the motal reception to get a room.

Is the whole "Who Killed Laura" story actually a figment of Cooper's mind ? His (un)successful trip to lead Laura away from her ill fated tryst with Leo, Jaques and Teresa Banks seemed to erase her murder from time and space, but did it actually erase Laura altogether ? Cooper's later encounter with Laura's doppelganger Carrie, and their subsequent and fruitless return to the Palmer household seems to suggest this. However, conversely Carrie's preoccupation with horses, (horseshoe necklace / white horse on matle), and her jarring scream at the end suggest to me that on some primal level perhaps even a doppelganger cannot shake loose in entirity everything which makes up a person's being.

The biggest frustration to me was the lack of resolution regarding "mother". It seemed quite obvious that Sarah Palmer was a tulpa inhabited by the evil mother / Jow-dei / Judy and I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the showdown between thatevil and the good seed Laura / Carrie. The fact that Lynch threw such a late and frustrating curveball to deny us of this will boil my piss for another 25 years...season 4 not withstanding.

• Upvote 1

Episode 8 "The birth of BOB" was possibly the greatest, most outrageous episode of television ever.

The biggest intrigue to me about the whole finale was Diane's morning after letter to Cooper, regarding Richard and Linda. It was clear that when they both travelled into the motel it was some 40 years earlier than when Cooper exited. The letter suggests that Richard and Linda are Cooper and Diane; did they both travel into the future / alternate reality via an electro-magnetic kink in the astral plane ? It might explain why Linda / Diane actually saw herself peeking from the carport whilst Coop went into the motal reception to get a room.

Is the whole "Who Killed Laura" story actually a figment of Cooper's mind ? His (un)successful trip to lead Laura away from her ill fated tryst with Leo, Jaques and Teresa Banks seemed to erase her murder from time and space, but did it actually erase Laura altogether ? Cooper's later encounter with Laura's doppelganger Carrie, and their subsequent and fruitless return to the Palmer household seems to suggest this. However, conversely Carrie's preoccupation with horses, (horseshoe necklace / white horse on matle), and her jarring scream at the end suggest to me that on some primal level perhaps even a doppelganger cannot shake loose in entirity everything which makes up a person's being.

The biggest frustration to me was the lack of resolution regarding "mother". It seemed quite obvious that Sarah Palmer was a tulpa inhabited by the evil mother / Jow-dei / Judy and I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the showdown between thatevil and the good seed Laura / Carrie. The fact that Lynch threw such a late and frustrating curveball to deny us of this will boil my piss for another 25 years...season 4 not withstanding.

It's admirable that you've managed to analyse it in such depth. 

I wondered if Diane and Cooper were meant to conceive a child for some reason - don't know what reason that would be after this.

Did you wonder at times - form his silence and facial expressions - whether Cooper in the last episode was part 'Mr C', part Duggie? 

Did you wonder at times - form his silence and facial expressions - whether Cooper in the last episode was part 'Mr C', part Duggie? 

Yes.

The whole motel / 40 years prior scene was stark. Richard was definitely colder and more aloof than Cooper, definitely had that detached BOB vibe about him, especially in the motel room when he told Linda / Diane to turn the light off and "come over here".

The sex scene was interesting too, why did Linda / Diane keep covering Cooper's / Richard's face ? I believed at the time that it was because she was somehow feeling a primal repulsion due to BOB's future rape of her. Again, perhaps an example of a doppelganger not being able to  fully disassociate from it's subject ?

Also, what the fuck happened to Audrey ???

One other scene really resonated : the whole death of BOB in Twin Peaks sherriff station. You must have noticed that throughout that whole scene, for about 5 minutes all the action took place whilst Cooper's whole face was superimposed over the footage ? Why ? I wondered at the time whether this was because all of this was taking place inside of Cooper's head.

Perhaps the later Richard / Linda motel scene goes to show that it's Richard who's the real mundane person and that it's Cooper who's the fantastic doppelganger leading an imaginary life ?

Personally I would hate this to be true. It would mean that the whole story of Twin Peaks and "Who Killed Laura" was a daydream conjured in the mind of a cold, loveless, ordinary Richard.

One other scene really resonated : the whole death of BOB in Twin Peaks sherriff station. You must have noticed that throughout that whole scene, for about 5 minutes all the action took place whilst Cooper's whole face was superimposed over the footage ? Why ? I wondered at the time whether this was because all of this was taking place inside of Cooper's head.

Perhaps the later Richard / Linda motel scene goes to show that it's Richard who's the real mundane person and that it's Cooper who's the fantastic doppelganger leading an imaginary life ?

Personally I would hate this to be true. It would mean that the whole story of Twin Peaks and "Who Killed Laura" was a daydream conjured in the mind of a cold, loveless, ordinary Richard.

Up to a point that kind of works, although what is the Fireman up to with his 'Linda and Richard' thing at the start of the season? If the idea is that Cooper imagined Laura Palmer and his previous life, completely then how does he have a badge, a gun, and Ninja skills? Why does he know his way to Twin Peaks (where the RR exists), how does he find 'Carrie' and what is her final scream all about. Where does it all leave Audrey's story?

The shot of Cooper's face and his statement that 'we all live in a dream' did suggest that he was imagining some of it. 

I had thought a few weeks ago that Cole was going to be the main character and end up in the Lodge.

Yes.

The whole motel / 40 years prior scene was stark. Richard was definitely colder and more aloof than Cooper, definitely had that detached BOB vibe about him, especially in the motel room when he told Linda / Diane to turn the light off and "come over here".

The sex scene was interesting too, why did Linda / Diane keep covering Cooper's / Richard's face ? I believed at the time that it was because she was somehow feeling a primal repulsion due to BOB's future rape of her. Again, perhaps an example of a doppelganger not being able to  fully disassociate from it's subject ?

Also, what the fuck happened to Audrey ???

like the opposite of the Sex scene with Duggie earlier in the season.

I realised that the way she covered his eyes was like the way Naido's eyes were covered. 

Up to a point that kind of works, although what is the Fireman up to with his 'Linda and Richard' thing at the start of the season? If the idea is that Cooper imagined Laura Palmer and his previous life, completely then how does he have a badge, a gun, and Ninja skills? Why does he know his way to Twin Peaks (where the RR exists), how does he find 'Carrie' and what is her final scream all about. Where does it all leave Audrey's story?

The shot of Cooper's face and his statement that 'we all live in a dream' did suggest that he was imagining some of it. 

I had thought a few weeks ago that Cole was going to be the main character and end up in the Lodge.

If Cooper was a figment of Richard's imagination then (sadly) The Fireman, Laura, the badge, the gun and eben his ninja skills and Norma and the RR are also imagined.

I found the whole Audrey storyline very frustrating; loved it though when she finally danced to Badalamenti's Freshly Squeezed last week at the Roadhouse, but then she "woke up" and appeared to be in a coma ?

I had wondered whather she'd also been raped and left comatose by BOB, giving birth to the odious prick Richard (coincidence ?) Horne. The lack of resolution to Audrey's thread I find especially frustrating.