You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing Suarez

boots123

Losing Suarez, is turning out to be a catastrophe, we have no leader, no play maker, no one to give us inspiration, no one to lead by example, or use the opportunity to rise above and show us the way, it is now showing that last season we were a two man team, who inspired other team players, now lacking that example, particularly Sterling, and to a degree Henderson, if we lose to Real Madrid we could be teetering on the brink of non champions league qualification, and I dread to think if we lose to  West Brom where that would leave us, positive thoughts anyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Whilst we obviously are missing and will continue to miss what he gave us the fact is he is gone and it is up to the manager and the players to find another way.

His work rate as we all know was exceptional, how many chances or goals did we get because he chased a lost cause or won a ball he had no right to or forced an error, he may not have got the assist or the goal but without his work and the space he created for others the chance wouldn't have come. We miss that really badly. His genius overall and his goals spoke for themselves.

He was obviously inspiring for those around him especially Sterling who for my money blossomed largely due to playing with him, his intelligence and awareness brought out the best in Sterling it complimented his play and helped him.

But he is gone so Sterling has to adapt and he will, he was shite last night but he is a kid still and consistency comes with time - he looks like he hasnt got faith in those around him, he has gone from playing with a genius to playing with what is at the moment mediocrity and it is affecting his confidence and his decision making - Sturridge coming back and Lallana getting in regularly and fully up to speed will help him.

Coutinho is suffering too, he needs someone showing intelligent movement for his strengths to show, that isn't happening right now - Sturridge will help with that too so when Coutinho is in the side his passing and forward looking isn't wasted.

For me we also need to up our work rate and get the pressing back, Suarez was immense at this, others need to step up so we are winning the ball in better positions and are more threatening.

Right now it looks bad, really bad and it seems like the heart and soul has been ripped out of us, but we will evolve and I honestly believe that had that owl faced twat not fucked Sturridge up we would be better off than we are now and the adjustment period without suarez would have been smoother.

We would of course have been without him until the end of October anyway this season, and like last season when he was out at start of season we would have managed ok with Sturridge - without him as well we are toothless..

Sturridge is our main man now, so for me the question is how do we build this new team around Sturridge...

Daniel Sturridge is one of the best goalscorers in Europe. His return will be a colossal boost to everybody. He'll need to score in most games, and he probably will. His presence will also leave more space for our new, struggling attackers.

The fact we're always so dependent on a saviour is my biggest worry. It masks what are huge problems.

• Upvote 3

As has been pointed out, the significant difference between the current team and last year's isn't just the loss of Suarez as a player, but the loss of the relentless drive he had. It's probably the best attribute to rub off on younger players because when they see that much will to win and determination from a player with that level of ability, it makes them push themselves harder. It wasn't Suarez ability we were always going to struggle to replace, it was his determination and the effect it had on the rest of the squad. Opposing defenders will usually think they can handle a technically brilliant player as long as they want it more, but they frequently struggled with Suarez because they just couldn't step up to his level of will to win.

• Upvote 2

As has been pointed out, the significant difference between the current team and last year's isn't just the loss of Suarez as a player, but the loss of the relentless drive he had. It's probably the best attribute to rub off on younger players because when they see that much will to win and determination from a player with that level of ability, it makes them push themselves harder. It wasn't Suarez ability we were always going to struggle to replace, it was his determination and the effect it had on the rest of the squad. Opposing defenders will usually think they can handle a technically brilliant player as long as they want it more, but they frequently struggled with Suarez because they just couldn't step up to his level of will to win.

Good points, well made.

He also gave us a psychological edge. There was a belief that we could win every game, and that we could score more than the opposition.

That edge is now gone. It is Rodger's job to reinstall a sense of self-belief.

Fuck him, he wanted to leave and I'm thankful for what he gave us.  But not once have I mentioned him while I'm at the game, yet every other cunt does every time something happens.  Unless Suarez can play as a holding midfielder, centre back or whilst banned for that matter - I don't see how he'd help us right now.

• Upvote 4

Whilst we obviously are missing and will continue to miss what he gave us the fact is he is gone and it is up to the manager and the players to find another way.

His work rate as we all know was exceptional, how many chances or goals did we get because he chased a lost cause or won a ball he had no right to or forced an error, he may not have got the assist or the goal but without his work and the space he created for others the chance wouldn't have come. We miss that really badly. His genius overall and his goals spoke for themselves.

He was obviously inspiring for those around him especially Sterling who for my money blossomed largely due to playing with him, his intelligence and awareness brought out the best in Sterling it complimented his play and helped him.

But he is gone so Sterling has to adapt and he will, he was shite last night but he is a kid still and consistency comes with time - he looks like he hasnt got faith in those around him, he has gone from playing with a genius to playing with what is at the moment mediocrity and it is affecting his confidence and his decision making - Sturridge coming back and Lallana getting in regularly and fully up to speed will help him.

Coutinho is suffering too, he needs someone showing intelligent movement for his strengths to show, that isn't happening right now - Sturridge will help with that too so when Coutinho is in the side his passing and forward looking isn't wasted.

For me we also need to up our work rate and get the pressing back, Suarez was immense at this, others need to step up so we are winning the ball in better positions and are more threatening.

Right now it looks bad, really bad and it seems like the heart and soul has been ripped out of us, but we will evolve and I honestly believe that had that owl faced twat not fucked Sturridge up we would be better off than we are now and the adjustment period without suarez would have been smoother.

We would of course have been without him until the end of October anyway this season, and like last season when he was out at start of season we would have managed ok with Sturridge - without him as well we are toothless..

Sturridge is our main man now, so for me the question is how do we build this new team around Sturridge...

this is a big one for me, last night watching Balotelli stand 10-12 yards away from their centre backs when they had possession was hard to watch, infact it was making my blood boil. much the same with Markovic.

if these players aren't prepared to put the effort in then drop them to the bench, not sure who we could play as a striker(although i would not play one up top in the first place as we look so one dimensional with it). 

Suarez would not have played a minute for us yet and we would have a weaker squad without the money from his sale so his departure has nothing to do with our form.

Sturridge has always been the most reliable performer out of the two and we miss him more, it was the same last season when both where out for periods, we coped better without Suarez then without sturridge.

• Downvote 1

Suarez would not have played a minute for us yet and we would have a weaker squad without the money from his sale so his departure has nothing to do with our form.

Sturridge has always been the most reliable performer out of the two and we miss him more, it was the same last season when both where out for periods, we coped better without Suarez then without sturridge.

you could say Sturridge is synonymous with us being good, Suarez was with us Jan 11-Jan 13 and the team was mostly shite

Funkasy has hit the nail on the head, why does Stevie say fuck all on the pitch (except moaning at players for mistakes) - yet put a mic in front of him and he starts crying about the team.

If the team aren't showing enough fight, it's a captains job to get them up for the fight.  He's always been a captain who inspired people though his play, but now he's playing shite - he's not doing anything as a captain.

Has he ever been the best captain at the club?  Hyypia and Carragher were always much better captains. 

Funkasy has hit the nail on the head, why does Stevie say fuck all on the pitch (except moaning at players for mistakes) - yet put a mic in front of him and he starts crying about the team.

If the team aren't showing enough fight, it's a captains job to get them up for the fight.  He's always been a captain who inspired people though his play, but now he's playing shite - he's not doing anything as a captain.

Has he ever been the best captain at the club?  Hyypia and Carragher were always much better captains. 

Who would you have as captain?

If the team aren't showing enough fight, it's a captains job to get them up for the fight. 

If the players are not showing enough fight, the problems run deeper than a expletive laden gee-up from Gerrard mid game.

We lack leaders on the pitch. Lovren may get there and so may Lallana, but at the moment we're a bit rudderless out there when things aren't going our way.

As long as Gerrard is playing, no other player will step up on the plate, you can see how they look at him with their puppy dog eyes every time hes close to them, often he gets the ball instead of a player upfront who would be in a better position. Play Gerrard behind the striker or at least stop giving him the duty to protect the back four, because he aignt doing that except its a derby and he gives five billion percent in those matches and good on him for that. 

It's no surprise we are struggling without him. He played a part in almost every single goal we scored last season. His influence was enormous. He might be irreplaceable but we didn't even attempt to bring in someone who could come close to filling in his shoes. Only Brendan knows why we didn't bother.