You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TK's Tactical Preview - FC Basel

Pureblood

With a bit of time on my hands, and flowing from the overwhelming success that has been TK's Ratings (thanks for all of the generous feedback), I thought I would put together a few words ahead of Liverpool's second Champions League match of the campaign away to FC Basel.  I hope you find them enlightening. 

History

Basel have an eerily similar history to us.  Founded in 1893, they have won the Swiss league 17 times and their cup 11 times, making them the second most successful side in their funny little country. A lot of that success has come recently following the arrival of Christian Gross (Underground ticket) and substantial investment into the club.  With periods of success from  the 50s through to the 80s, the parallels with the mighty Reds reappear.  

More recently they have benefited from sustained regular Champions League revenue, establishing themselves as solid players on the European stage.  9 league titles since 2002 speaks for itself; we can't take this lot lightly.

Paulo Sousa

Legendary long-haired Paulo Sousa is their current manager.  Sousa favours a 3-4-2-1 formation.  One would imagine the width comes from their two wing backs, so our full backs can expect to be in for a busy evening.  I suspect Luis Enrique will start this game, as his relentless running and recovery pace could be vital (that said Moreno is no slouch, but can't be expected to play every game).

Sousa has heavily rotated his line ups so far this season as he gets to grips with a 27 man squad.  Bringing with him his own back room staff and some new signings, he appears to still be finding his feet but has Basel top of the league.

Last Match

Basel's last match in this competition was a 5-1 pasting at the hands of Real Madrid.  Going by reports, they can probably count themselves unlucky to be on the end of that scoreline. Word on the street is that Basel showed they are more than capable of causing a team like Liverpool problems in attack, but like us it seems they have defensive issues. 

Players to Watch

Derlis Gonzalez - young Paraguayan (20) diminutive forward has won one cap for his country and scored against Real Madrid. 

DerlisGonz%C3%A1lez10.jpg

Derlis Gonzalez

Tomas Vaslik - Czech goalkeeper is number two to Peter Cech.  The hot goss is that he's a solid shot-stopper but craps himself when it comes to crosses.  Sound familiar?

800px-Tom%C3%A1%C5%A1_Vacl%C3%ADk_(Europ

Tomas Vaslik

2014 © TK421 All rights reserved. 

• Upvote 10

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The Tactical Preview is very light on previewing tactics.

I agree. However, he has outstanding tactical knowledge does our TK, this is just a stepping stone to greater things. You know, like an actually tactical review rather than some pictures and a strange history comparison with us, 5 times Champions of Europe.