You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

I agree, it was so awful it was spectacular in it's own way. Pushing up to play offside unilaterally from a throw in half way inside your own half was outstanding enough but that leap for the 2nd was a thing of beauty, horrifying but still beautiful to watch.

Must be the painkillers surely? He looked utterly clueless and doped up.

Surely there's going to be a shit load of gifs regarding that leap for the second goal?

The least productive conversation is naming guys who have come good for little outlay after the fact.

Why did Napoli spend £6m on Koulibaly?  It's not a small amount for them, he obviously showed more than just a glimmer of promise.  Napoli bought Mertens for £9m, and Callejon for £10m, so £6m isn't something they did lightly.

As for Skriniar, you can take last season's move to Inter as a better comparitor if you want. He cost them £17m and a shit player.  He's now worth £40m+

The problem for CBs now is that the ship has sailed, loads of them moved clubs just 2-3 months ago.

A salmon would have been proud of his leep for that missed header. At least Jurgen had the balls to hook him off.

Yes. We are overdoing Jurgen’s tactical nous at the minute. He was decisive in this game. The problems are mostly down to stupid individual errors and a lack of personnel in a couple of key positions. We’ve been round and round on the message boards on the last point. Some would say it’s remiss of Jurgen to not have us further on by now after 3/4 windows, while others would say he’s within his rights to stand his ground and only sign players he really wants. (I can see both sides of that argument, but it really should be settled over the next two windows one way or the other, with the spine strengthened).

Lovren is, don't laugh, capable of producing excellent performances for Liverpool. He's shown that lots of times before such as against Kane and Lukaku last season. 

However, he's equally capable of producing the absolute horrific. Surely any club that has designs on being a regular top 4 side cannot tolerate a centre back who can put in a season-killing performance on any given day? 

Carragher, Hyypia and Agger had bad days but never anything like what we saw yesterday. They could compensate for their bad days by, at the very least, just doing the basics. Lovren genuinelly didn't look like he knew how to play football yesterday. I haven't seen anything like it since the days of Torben Piechnik. 

I don't like Lovren at all and if this is the straw that broke the camel's back, we'll be much better for it. That said, the painkiller thing is concerning and as bad as I think he is, he's not bad enough that yesterday should have happened.

He genuinely looked zonked out, like he shouldn't have been playing. He was totally unaware of anything going on around him.

I’m not saying we’re doing this, but hope the painkiller thing doesn’t become a bit of an excuse for Lovren.

The obvious answer is usually the correct answer, If the fact that he wasn't good enough had been recognised and acted upon a couple of years ago, instead of hoping for the best, we wouldn't be in this position, All very well saying it will be sorted out in the next couple of windows,  Experience should teach us it probably won't.  The same rings true for both keepers, Far too much tolerance of mediocrity at all levels in the club.  

• Upvote 1

I’m not saying we’re doing this, but hope the painkiller thing doesn’t become a bit of an excuse for Lovren.

The thing is, if there is something wrong with him which means he has to take so many painkillers he cannot function then he shouldn't be in the team and should be getting treatment. 

There was a point they showed him on the bench after he went off and he looked like a photo of someone with shell shock. 

And in any case he was shit long before we heard about him taking painkillers. 

• Upvote 3

I think he's fucked emotionally. He'd always been a bit sensitive, reacting to Instagram comments and the like. Why should a professional footballer paid millions give a fuck about what some anonymous 14 year old troll has to say on social media? Not sure about him taking his wife back, either. That's indicative of a man that doesn't have much confidence in his ability to find a new partner. Might make him a good person but footballers have to be driven, ruthless arseholes, solely focused on improving. Take him out of the firing line for a while.

• Upvote 2

I think he's fucked emotionally. He'd always been a bit sensitive, reacting to Instagram comments and the like. Why should a professional footballer paid millions give a fuck about what some anonymous 14 year old troll has to say on social media? Not sure about him taking his wife back, either. That's indicative of a man that doesn't have much confidence in his ability to find a new partner. Might make him a good person but footballers have to be driven, ruthless arseholes, solely focused on improving. Take him out of the firing line for a while.

Fair point. But at Liverpool you are always in the firing line - judged by those above not by those below. As Gary Neville said - he (and Mig), should not be in the team based on the mistakes they have made - the top sides do not accommodate those errors. 

He doesn't like pressure - I don't think it was a coincidence that when Klopp announced there was 'nobody better' out there, he fell to pieces with the pressure. He is just shit and needs to go. I can deal with him as a squad player - no pressure, play once a month, Matip, Gomez and AN Other above him. 

But £5m a year is a lot and I think we can get more for our money by fucking him off. 

Massive cuck in his personal life and a massive cuck on the pitch.  He's the kind of fella who would pretend not to hear if Dele Alli wolf whistled his wife as they were leaving the ground yesterday.  She heard it though, and she knows he did too, and he did nothing. 

I don't like Lovren at all and if this is the straw that broke the camel's back, we'll be much better for it. That said, the painkiller thing is concerning and as bad as I think he is, he's not bad enough that yesterday should have happened.

He genuinely looked zonked out, like he shouldn't have been playing. He was totally unaware of anything going on around him.

I noticed this myself when he sat down on the bench after getting the hook. he had no idea where he was. He had that thousand yard stare that the Vietnam vets have. Although he had just participated in horrors no man should see tbf. Like the Tet offensive or in Lovrens case, the offensive Tit.

• Upvote 6

I don't think it's a confidence thing, i just think he's shit. He's been terrible most of his career. Lyon couldn't believe the amount of money Southampton paid for him. That one season at Southampton was an anomaly in a career laden with errors and poor performances.

He's not good enough. He doesn't have the awareness, he's not fast enough, he's not good enough with the ball and he makes loads of mistakes directly leading to goals. He is, simply put, a liability. The stuff about taking his wife back is irrelevant though, and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's a confidence thing, i just think he's shit. He's been terrible most of his career. Lyon couldn't believe the amount of money Southampton paid for him. That one season at Southampton was an anomaly in a career laden with errors and poor performances.

He's not good enough. He doesn't have the awareness, he's not fast enough, he's not good enough with the ball and he makes loads of mistakes directly leading to goals. He is, simply put, a liability. The stuff about taking his wife back is irrelevant though, and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with. 

He's terrible with the ball.  Truly appalling.  I watch him a lot, it's amazing he became a professional footballer. 

• Upvote 1