You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

That's the thing about the "if he keeps playing like this he'll stay in" argument. He won't, because he'll get injured again. He's obviously improved shitloads since Klopp first arrived but you still couldn't trust him to slot in as Van Dijk's replacement if Van Dijk ever needed a rest, because he'd either be injured or turn into a headless chicken again.

23 minutes ago, belarus said:

He’s defo been better, but he still commits the same mistake of breaking the line unnecessarily, not winning the challenge and then leaving a gap behind him. It’s infuriating.

Not half as bad as him retreating into his shell, dragging the defence deeper and deeper. 

• Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

This is a major problem. When balls are played up to the opposition striker on the deck, Lovren very often seems to back off, allowing them time and space to turn and have a go. 

Yup, no idea where this notion of him being front footed comes from.   He's no pace and shits himself to stay high up the pitch. 

Our defence will improve will Gomez in there. 

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Yup, no idea where this notion of him being front footed comes from.   He's no pace and shits himself to stay high up the pitch. 

Our defence will improve will Gomez in there. 

It will if Gomez is back to his best but Lovren has rightly been in the team following Matip's injury and to be fair he has performed well on balance. My real nightmare is an injury to Virg as that would spell massive problems. 

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Looked very much like a fourth choice CB today.  He stunk, but if any of the rest of the team were anywhere near their usual standard, it wouldn't have cost us.

Jurgen clearly didnt fancy Matip for this game though.  But yes, you're right, with the exception of Alisson, no one else in the team performed today and I cannot remember the last time I thought that.

It’s kind of ironic that the build-up to this game was all about how in Klopp’s first outing against them they did us 3-0 and after Deeney monstered him Skrtel was barely seen in a Liverpool shirt again.

Perhaps fate was tempted once too often.

• Upvote 1

He’s simply nowhere near the required standard, People said in the match thread before kick off exactly what would happen. They’d target him and we’d struggle. They would’ve done the same to Matip, and he would’ve struggled too, but not to the same extent, and panic wouldn’t have struck. Also Matip is far better when it comes to passing, which is a factor.

Probably a decent bloke Lovren, and there is no lack of effort, just a lack of quality.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to watch the ball bounce over lovren as deeney cheekily and knowingly giggles and also I'd like to watch lovren try and pass the ball to Trent from 5 yards away only for the ball to trickle over the by line for a Watford throw in.

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Jurgen clearly didnt fancy Matip for this game though.  But yes, you're right, with the exception of Alisson, no one else in the team performed today and I cannot remember the last time I thought that.

Klopp has clearly played him to take on deaney and thought he could do it better than matip. Unfortunately once lovren has decided his job is about wrestling, it's game over. We've seen it so many times in time here. Probably since he's been at the club 50% of our worst 10 performances, he's been our worst performer, looked like an amateur and brought the whole teams level down. As someone else said he's a relic from when we were shit and needs binning. Nothing is more true. While he is still at the club, he'll have good games and then he'll throw in days like yesterday. In all my years of watching football I don't think I've ever heard a forward say the type of stuff deaney came out with after the match, I think that says a lot.