You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina claims he's here to stay

tlw content

The saga over Pepe Reina’s future took a further twist today with the keeper saying that he’s “here to stay” as Napoli refuse to meet Liverpool’s asking price for the Spanish keeper.

Former Reds' boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly keen to take the Spanish keeper to Naples permanently but not at the release clause set by the Reds, which according to the Telegraph is £3.95m. With no vacancies at any of the big Spanish clubs and seemingly very little interest from elsewhere, Reina has found himself back at Liverpool despite having written a farewell letter to the fans a year ago that also contained a parting shot at an unimpressed Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers reacted to questions about Reina’s future by saying yesterday “Pepe made it clear last year where he is at. We will see what happens over the next few weeks”. It would certainly appear that there is no way back for the former Barcelona and Villarreal keeper, with Liverpool reluctant to pay 100k a week for him to sit on the bench and Rodgers settled on Simon Mignolet as his number one.

Reina, however, claims he is going nowhere. "I have a contract to respect with Liverpool. I'm training well and I am perfectly fine with my team-mates," he said. "I am here to stay. I have not talked to Brendan Rodgers, I've been here for only four days and I am just thinking of training to my best and getting back into shape."

“All the big Spanish teams are covered in my role," he added. "I see it as very difficult to return to Spain. It's normal though that over the years you want to return to where you came from, so we'll see."

The saga over Pepe Reina’s future took a further twist today with the keeper saying that he’s “here to stay” as Napoli refuse to meet Liverpool’s asking price for the Spanish keeper.

Former Reds' boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly keen to take the Spanish keeper to Naples permanently but not at the release clause set by the Reds, which according to the Telegraph is £3.95m. With no vacancies at any of the big Spanish clubs and seemingly very little interest from elsewhere, Reina has found himself back at Liverpool despite having written a farewell letter to the fans a year ago that also contained a parting shot at an unimpressed Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers reacted to questions about Reina’s future by saying yesterday “Pepe made it clear last year where he is at. We will see what happens over the next few weeks”. It would certainly appear that there is no way back for the former Barcelona and Villarreal keeper, with Liverpool reluctant to pay 100k a week for him to sit on the bench and Rodgers settled on Simon Mignolet as his number one.

Reina, however, claims he is going nowhere. "I have a contract to respect with Liverpool. I'm training well and I am perfectly fine with my team-mates," he said. "I am here to stay. I have not talked to Brendan Rodgers, I've been here for only four days and I am just thinking of training to my best and getting back into shape."

“All the big Spanish teams are covered in my role," he added. "I see it as very difficult to return to Spain. It's normal though that over the years you want to return to where you came from, so we'll see."

Odd that. 

How much was he respecting his contract, and with it, his manager, when he was whoring himself to Barca for months before the end of the 2012/13 season?

I love Pepe for the good times he had with us, but it didn't sit well what he was saying then, and it's not now, either.

Brendan can be as unimpressed as he likes, if Pepe has a contract he has every right to stick to it.

We may need to maybe look at decreasing / getting rid of the £4m fee if we don't want him to stay.

I personally would rather have Reina as back-up over a long season like this than Brad Jones & as we were talking about £5m for the likes of Vorm & the South American guy, we might as well just pay Pepe's salary which is the same.

• Upvote 5

Loosely translates as "Barca told me to fuck off and no one else wants me so I am back but if I get a better offer I'll be off asap."

Pepe wanted to leave for Arsenal, then he spent two years keeping us on tenterhooks over a potential Barca bid, claiming if they came in for him he'd be gone, but if not he'd like to extend his Liverpool contract at a higher wage, whilst phoning in performances.

Then he wrote an open letter proclaiming his disappointment with the Liverpool management of his situation, eulogizing Rafa, saying he's the "best manager he's ever worked with" and so forth. Now he's back with his tail between his legs, blanked, rightfully...and he's waiting for Rafa to bullshit us over an amount, or some other non entity to come in last minute for his signature.

That leaves us up to date in the ongoing Pepe Reina saga.

• Upvote 7

seem to lose more respect for him everytime I hear from him these days

in fact I'm pretty sure at the 2010 world cup someone kidnapped the real Pepe and Torres and replaced them with body doubles with attitude problems and no football ability

seem to lose more respect for him everytime I hear from him these days

in fact I'm pretty sure at the 2010 world cup someone kidnapped the real Pepe and Torres and replaced them with body doubles with attitude problems and no football ability

Football ability trumps everything.

Not wanting to sit on the bench isnt necessarily an attitude problem .