You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

HiFi buying help

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Do i really need that bridge? cant it work with just my router ? 

They say that you don't need the bridge to create a network of Sonos devices, but I decided to get the bridge so I could have a dedicated wireless Sonos network. I run a fair bit off my router.

Looking on the official Sonos site, it would appear that they've phased out the bridge and replaced it with the more expensive Sonos Boost.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what killed the Sonos for me too mate, just did think it sounded very good at all tbh.

It can be a struggle to stream uncompressed or even lossless music around the house.   If you want proper hi-fi, you need wires and in the case of digital music, a top notch digital to analogue converter, as well as obviously having quality components.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think they are Vlad. I call them stereos myself which I also suspect is massively out of date.

Mind you although I don't go very often these days, mainly because they have this fucking horrible obsession with letting other people go at the same time, I still call going to a film (not a movie!) going to the pictures. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think they are Vlad. I call them stereos myself which I also suspect is massively out of date.

Mind you although I don't go very often these days, mainly because they have this fucking horrible obsession with letting other people go at the same time, I still call going to a film (not a movie!) going to the pictures. 

Fucking right on mate.

The older I get, the less I can give a fuck what other people think. Becoming increasingly cantankerous, intolerant and passive aggressive.

You do what you do and if they don't like it, fuck em.

• 1 year later...

Looking at gearing up my place with a new music system and, to be honest, I'm fucking shit at anything that takes a little bit of patience with regards to technology. Some interesting stuff on this thread though. What's the script with getting these streaming products to link up with a CD player. Is that something that is easy to do or do they require you to load your own music onto a database (such as iTunes etc).

Everywhere I go now everyone seems to have gone all-in on streaming but it sort of strikes me that once everyone is hooked into it, and the idea of not actually owning the music, then surely they'll steadily just increase the price?

So yeah, if a brother was looking for something that could stream, but also wanted to be playing CDs, then what would you more techie savvy buggers suggest.

Ive just got a yamaha rx-s601 and it can do all that streaming stuff while connecting some good speakers to it, but then you need to buy some kind of cd player to it. I only use net radio and spotify premium because i threw all my cds out years ago.

Try google it and see if its what you need.

• 1 year later...

Just pulled the trigger on a new Cyrus One amp, brand new for £579 from Creative Audio.

I plan to hook it up to my Cyrus Streamline 2, using that as a pre-amp / input. The new amp has integrated Bluetooth so I will also hook it up to my TV and Android box, effectively rendering my old soundboard redundant.

Should turn up tomorrow so I'm excited to hear some more pronounced bass and tighter bottom end from my trusty old Quad 11L’s. Also really looking forward to finally streaming from Spotify through this little hifi.

Anybody tried Tidal ?

Looking at gearing up my place with a new music system and, to be honest, I'm fucking shit at anything that takes a little bit of patience with regards to technology. Some interesting stuff on this thread though. What's the script with getting these streaming products to link up with a CD player. Is that something that is easy to do or do they require you to load your own music onto a database (such as iTunes etc).

Everywhere I go now everyone seems to have gone all-in on streaming but it sort of strikes me that once everyone is hooked into it, and the idea of not actually owning the music, then surely they'll steadily just increase the price?

So yeah, if a brother was looking for something that could stream, but also wanted to be playing CDs, then what would you more techie savvy buggers suggest.

I'm sure you're well sorted by now mate but have you seen these ?

https://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hi-fi/cambridge-audio/one/camb-one-blk

My old fella bought one, cracking little thing. Sounds great.

Same here,or the flicks. As for Hi Fis or Stereos,I would have thought that digital music would make them obsolete? I have far more music on my laptop than I ever had on vinyl. Never had many CDs either but the few I did have I just copied to my laptop.