You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Absolute grade A bollarx.

Indeed, a festival of wrongness.

Emre Can is a very goos attacking mid. Ive been saying it since the day he arrived.

Not just kneejerk on the basis of last night.

For some reason, he's ended up with this mantle of a DM or worse a defender.

Utter cack.

So id turn it around, and say he should be used offensively or sold for good money.

He IS NOT a DM.

Henderson is not a DM either, but he plays the deeper role.

Henderson doesn't offer anything extra or is better than Can.

Can scores more goals than Henderson.

He doesn't go missing like Gini. He suffers when he's not playing regularly, as he looks out of sorts and off the pace. He needs regular games to be sharp.

With the right other 2 midfielders next to him, Emre can be boss.

• Upvote 1

He's a very good centre midfielder in a 2 or a 3 and is versatile enough to play in any of the positions. He's just built like a tank and it always takes him a few competitive games to get his touch and match fitness. When that happens though he goes into beast mode. I can't see us keeping him though unless we offer him really big wages which he may have already accepted from Juve.

I was impressed with Can's form in the last third of last season. I dont think he's pulled up trees in his time here. But, is Klopp having a go at his attitude with the comments about players at the club who allow the CL to cloud their contract extension?

‘Even if you try to extend a contract with a player in the squad. I always think “WTF (what the f***), it's your job to do it”.

• Upvote 1

I was impressed with Can's form in the last third of last season. I dont think he's pulled up trees in his time here. But, is Klopp having a go at his attitude with the comments about players at the club who allow the CL to cloud their contract extension?

‘Even if you try to extend a contract with a player in the squad. I always think “WTF (what the f***), it's your job to do it”.

That's what I thought.

• Upvote 1

Juventus doesnt really pay high wages.

I meant in terms of the signing on fee for being a free transfer. I don't know how we could compete with that. Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's just the fact that Juve win things and go the distance in the champions league whereas we struggle to qualify.

• Upvote 1

That's why I think, as long as he's getting games, he will be happy to let his contract run down. If he leaves to Juve now he won't get as much money as he would next year. As you say they don't pay high wages there generally and I couldn't see them paying 30m and giving him more than we would. I could see them giving him a big signing on fee or paying more than we would offer though at the end of this season because they aren't forking out the 30m.

I actually don't mind how we've handled it to be honest. If you compare it to the Barkley situation. Koeman has spent the last year rattling Barkley talking up stupid fees for a player going into the last year of his contract. Nobody has gone near him and he's not playing for them either despite not kicking up any fuss at all. They've tried to bully him into signing a contract giving him some Barca-esque ultimatums.

I think the club knew full well what Can was up to by not signing last year. They've probably weighed it up and thought 2 years playing out of him is better than selling him for 30m or so (considering there wasn't actually a lot of interest in him) and then having to replace him. It's worked out to a certain extent because he was really good in the run in and I think he should be good this season.

The Jurgen quote about Can was odd yesterday, unless he was talking about someone else.

Klopp: "When you want to sign players/extend a contract, they say 'we want to play CL' .I think 'WTF?! It's your job to help us do that'."

Was he suggesting that Emre was stalling signing the new deal until Champs league was definite?

Strange thing to say. Thought it was all about the £££?

• Upvote 1

I think we will see more players run their contracts down to get big paydays and maximize their options. If he won't sign a deal I'd keep him here anyway, unless for some reason we have Goretzka lined up and Keita on the way next year. Other than something like that, the player is more useful to us than the money he would command with a year left on his deal.

As for his quality, he's decent, not great. A bit like all of our central midfielders. I liked the leadership he showed when Henderson was out last year. I'm not sure of his best position as he can play right through the middle. He seems to take a while to get up to speed and he's slow off the mark but reasonably quick when he gets moving. I prefer Henderson, but there's not a lot in it.

The ideal midfield three for me would be Henderson, Keita and Coutinho and I think that's what Klopp wants. Can, Lallana and Wijnaldum would be back ups and would also see plenty of action.

Obviously as things stand we may never see that, but I think that's what the plan was.

The Jurgen quote about Can was odd yesterday, unless he was talking about someone else.

Klopp: "When you want to sign players/extend a contract, they say 'we want to play CL' .I think 'WTF?! It's your job to help us do that'."

Was he suggesting that Emre was stalling signing the new deal until Champs league was definite?

Maybe but surely that would only affect Emre next season if we qualify, he would of been here this season anyway if we failed to qualify for the group stages.

Haha, that's proof he's been reading this forum.

Can, like our midfielders, definitely has a few games in him where he looks really good.  Henderson had a game just before he got injured last time where he looked like a top class player - can't remember the game, but we got beat despite his really good performance.  Can looked more dynamic than usual yesterday.

Trouble is, they just don't do it regularly.  And that is the difference between an average player and a good one.  Any player in the Prem can have a couple of blinding games a season.  

That's largely the same reason I think Coutinho and Firmino are overrated, and Mane is underrated.  

Can, like our midfielders, definitely has a few games in him where he looks really good. Henderson had a game just before he got injured last time where he looked like a top class player - can't remember the game, but we got beat despite his really good performance. Can looked more dynamic than usual yesterday.

Trouble is, they just don't do it regularly. And that is the difference between an average player and a good one. Any player in the Prem can have a couple of blinding games a season.

That's largely the same reason I think Coutinho and Firmino are overrated, and Mane is underrated.

Please explain your admiration for Lallana then. He is not more consistent than Can for example.