You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

I think he was better in the first half of the season. He's still young for a keeper and I think he'll improve, though he defintley needs some competition next year. 

He always seemed like a quality keeper for Sunderland, maybe the added pressure of playing for us effected his form a little, but he strikes me as someone who will continue to get better in that department.

Not convinced but Deserves another season. It's not the crosses he comes for which worry me, it's the ones he doesn't come for. I don't think the defence has any idea what he's going to do when a cross comes in.

• Upvote 2

He has Good and bad points.

His shot stopping is very good, he makes saves other keepers would struggle with.

His biggest Weakness for me is his communication with his defence, it must be like having a mute behind you, i dont know if he is naturally shy or he doesnt feel he has enough respect to bark at his defenders, but he should because it makes the whole back 4 uncertain about what is happening behind them.

I would like to see him have another year and see what the coaches can do and if he will become more vocal as a keeper.

It's not like it's his first season in England (as it was with De Gea) - he's been here for years, and he made continued and regular mistakes for Sunderland.  He's a VERY good shop stopper, and that's why Sunderland fans loved him (and why we all like him), but as a goalkeeper isn't that the very least you expect?

If you put the main attributes of a goalkeeper into check boxes, he'd have more blanks than ticks.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Not convinced but Deserves another season. It's not the crosses he comes for which worry me, it's the ones he doesn't come for. I don't think the defence has any idea what he's going to do when a cross comes in.

I don't think Mignolet has any idea what the defence is going to do either.

It's extremely unfair to write him off after one season. He's playing behind a leaderless defence that has no protection from the gung-ho midfield.

Give him another season then reevaluate his standing. Shame we can't keep hold of Pepe for a season to push him on a bit.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

One of the best young keepers in Europe, and you can take that to the bank.

You bastard. Just back from the Halifax and they don't even take it. 

• Upvote 2

It's not like it's his first season in England (as it was with De Gea) - he's been here for years, and he made continued and regular mistakes for Sunderland.  He's a VERY good shop stopper, and that's why Sunderland fans loved him (and why we all like him), but as a goalkeeper isn't that the very least you expect?

If you put the main attributes of a goalkeeper into check boxes, he'd have more blanks than ticks.

Defensive play is overwhelmingly about experience and chemistry. De Gea walked into a very settled defensive unit, Mignolet did not. Our fullbacks were either injured or very inexperienced, our CBs were without their leader (Carra), playing with a new DM in Gerrard.....that's a hugely different situation from any other team in the top 4 or even top 7. 

Not going to say Mignolet is perfect - but I think the problems we saw this year have very teachable solutions and will be improved upon hugely by an improved back line. He's young, and his shot stopping ability is something you can't teach. 

He is a good younger keeper with more improvement to come. He played an important part in a team that just finished second. He stepped up from a lower level team and discovered a whole new ball game. There are issues for him to work on, but I'd like to see what he can do with a settled defence in front of him. When we get a leader and an organizer in the middle of the back four I expect that to help everything. 

I don't think Mignolet has any idea what the defence is going to do either.

Agree with this. Both keeper and defence has been shaky at times and neither of them seems to know what to do at times. I don’t think this will change until we get a real leader in the back 5 some where. Whether that is a new keeper or a new defender somewhere along the back 4, I don’t know. But I do believe that with a real leader amongst that back 5, we’ll see much less errors on both side, keeper and back 4.

• Upvote 1

I think he's great, but one of those clearance punches is probably going to screw up sooner or later, would prefer it if he'd catch it a bit more. Maybe he does that because he's small and thinks he has less chance of catches going well? Still like him though and glad we have him!

Really? I'd be all over that if it were a possibility, which it probably won't be.

But I am guessing Courtois will be Chelsea's keeper next year, unlikely to loan out the best keeper in the world again, and I doubt Cech fancies being a number 2.