You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

The goalkeeping situation at the club is negligent at the moment. Get rid of Mignolet, Karius & Achterberg, put Ward in until the end of the season, or spend now on Oblak or Allison if available.

Achterberg like Mignolet should be absolutely nowhere near the club.

Failing any of that just get Reina back on loan.

Danny Ward must be spending every day and night wondering what the fuck he has to do to get a game here when he has two completely useless and unreliable fuckwits ahead of him.

On the few occasions I've seen Ward play he looked more of a keeper than the other two turds look remotely capable of. Saving shots...command of his area..little things like that.

• Upvote 2

The goalkeeping situation at the club is negligent at the moment. Get rid of Mignolet, Karius & Achterberg, put Ward in until the end of the season, or spend now on Oblak or Allison if available.

Achterberg like Mignolet should be absolutely nowhere near the club.

Failing any of that just get Reina back on loan.

Always baffled me when people used to slag Reina off. People had obviously forgotten the halcyon days of David James.
  • Upvote 1

Always baffled me when people used to slag Reina off. People had obviously forgotten the halcyon days of David James.

He was undoubtedly the best keeper we'd had in a long time.

That doesn't mean we should ignore his frightening drop off in his last few years here. It seemed to me that strikers had figured him out - don't try place it, hit it close to him and it'll go in. 8/10, sadly, it worked, and it took us a long time to figure out what they had. Infuriating to watch, and a goalkeeping cardinal sin.

Still miles above what we have now, mind.

He was undoubtedly the best keeper we'd had in a long time.

That doesn't mean we should ignore his frightening drop off in his last few years here. It seemed to me that strikers had figured him out - don't try place it, hit it close to him and it'll go in. 8/10, sadly, it worked, and it took us a long time to figure out what they had. Infuriating to watch, and a goalkeeping cardinal sin.

Still miles above what we have now, mind.

Loss of confidence, having no faith in Mike Kelly then Jon Achterberg (nor should he) all contributed to his dip in form, that said he'd upped his standards considerably in his last six months, still some way off his best but miles ahead of anything Mignolet could ever hope to achieve.

The Achterberg thing surely has some merit to it. He joined the club in summer 2009 and worked with the academy, getting promoted to first team goalkeeping coach in summer 2011. The goalkeepers in our first team squad since he stepped up include Reina, Jones, Doni, Gulacsi, Mignolet, Bogdan, Ward, Karius and Manninger, none of whom have actually improved under his watch. They've either stayed at their previous level (which wasn't top class to begin with) or gone downhill, and in the case of Reina (who at one point would have been a shoe-in for the Spain side were it not for Casillas), definitely tailed of in the years he was working under Achterberg. Gulacsi and Ward have managed an improvement in recent years but they did so by playing at other clubs.

I've read a fair bit about the high esteem in which Achterberg is held by players and coaches alike so I'm not going to say he is completely useless. I'm certain he knows more about how to coach goalkeepers than I do, and his influence and input might actually be beneficial in ways that us fans don't get to see. It may be a case that his preparation of our goalkeepers is more than adequate to do well at most clubs but also that it doesn't correlate at all with what our team have to deal with on a typical matchday. What we end up doing is highlighting the flaws of the goalkeeper and the defensive structure itself.

Sure, the quality of the goalkeepers and defenders is a key factor as to their effectiveness, but even mediocre players can be made to look good with the right coaching masking their flaws if not completely eliminating them. You can imply improvement thanks to the coaching when that happens, but it has NOT happened with our goalkeeping options.

I know a little about GK coaching and while Achterburg could well be a shit hot goalie coach on the training field there is all kinds of wrong shown by our keepers in real game situations.

I think we may have to come to terms with the thinking that our third choice goalkeeper behind these two is also quite likely to be very poo.

Agree. If Ward was any better than the other two I reckon he’d play. Simple as that.

Or put it the other way around, if he was good PL quality another club would put in a 20 million bid for him.

The worst thing about the Danny Ward thing is that he’s probably looking on enviably at what’s happening at Huddersfield right now.

If you’re never going to give him a chance, especially in front of these two fuckwits, then why did you recall him?

The same goes for Woodburn and Wilson. These guys need to be playing games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Irrespective of anything else, he’s played his role in our transformation the last couple of years through being a superb professional by all accounts.

He got to experience number 6 and he’ll always have his side-earner with the pear empire.

• Upvote 1