You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What is the point of watching something that you know you are unlikely to enjoy? For example, I've watched enough courtroom dramas to know that I don't like them and as such would never watch another.

Correct, of course you'll miss something that might appeal to you, but you'll waste far less time watching stuff you think is shit.

I don't get people who watch stuff, hust because it's highly rated and lots of other people are talking about it. If something doesn't appeal to me, be that due to genre or I just don't fancy it, I won't waste my time.

I've watched stuff on recommendations but not always liked it or stuck with it.

I though breaking bad was just 'meh'. Gave up after 2 seasons.

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't get people who watch stuff, hust because it's highly rated and lots of other people are talking about it. If something doesn't appeal to me, be that due to genre or I just don't fancy it, I won't waste my time.

I just read the synopsis and a handful of reviews both good and bad.** I had my fingers burnt early on by reading too much into total ratings. A lot of these sites which rate films have auto bots from certain countries bumping up the ratings for their own films. Never going to know fully until you watch something though, I've sat through some shite thinking it would be a decent film/series. 

Things like GOT, Breaking Bad etc are mega hits though, enjoyed by many but obviously you'll get some who don't like that sort of stuff. With these blockbusters you know if you like that Genre then you'll be onto a winner, you may not agree with the high ratings, but you are going to enjoy them. 

I just read the synopsis and a handful of reviews both good and bad. I had my fingers burnt early on by reading too much into total ratings. A lot of these sites which rate films have auto bots from certain countries bumping up the ratings for their own films.

Yeah, I just read the synopsis and check to see who is in it. The latter is important, as certain actors can completely spoil my enjoyment of a film or programme. For example, I ended up binning Peep Show off, as Olivia Colman spoiled it. I've seen her in a couple of other things, too and disliked them, and as such, will always swerve anything she is in.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I just read the synopsis and check to see who is in it. The latter is important, as certain actors can completely spoil my enjoyment of a film or programme. For example, I ended up binning Peep Show off, as Olivia Colman spoiled it. I've seen her in a couple of other things, too and disliked them, and as such, will always swerve anything she is in.

You're spot on about Olivia Colman. She's got a very annoying face and voice.

I was unimpressed with the first season and forced myself through it again a couple of years later. I thought the second one was patchy too, but it improves vastly from then onwards.

What is the point of watching something that you know you are unlikely to enjoy? For example, I've watched enough courtroom dramas to know that I don't like them, and as such, would never watch another, regardless of how highly rated it was.

Because nearly every genre has something within it that is worth watching.

The only genre of films I write off completely are musicals, there's just something about people singing in the middle of a film that I can't be having. The only ones I've seen have been with women and I didn't enjoy any of them.

Edit: actually, that's a lie - I suppose Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory is a musical, which I do like.

I completely get where you’re coming from but BB completely takes off midway through series 3. Every single episode after that is superb. The pay off in the second two and a half series is worth trudging through the first two and a half.

The only genre of films I write off completely are musicals, there's just something about people singing in the middle of a film that I can't be having. The only ones I've seen have been with women and I didn't enjoy any of them.

Edit: actually, that's a lie - I suppose Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory is a musical, which I do like.

'Cabaret' is a fantastically brilliant grown-up film and the soundtrack is boss.

• Upvote 1

Yep,musicals are absolute wank. Although musical scenes in comedy films can have their place such as The Life of Brian,Blazing Saddles,etc. These are done more as parody but often work well and take a lot of choreography.

The South Park movie is another.