You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Malaysian Boeing 777 goes missing

Red Banjo

Expert on the radio saying it may have been a controlled ditching then sunk whole. Scary shit that.

Without a distress call via the FMC or air traffic control, I would have though that was unlikely. Also, a controlled landing of a 777 into the sea? Just don't see it. Sullenburger managed to land his much smaller A320 on a dead calm river. The ocean would have very likely not been dead calm, and the lack of notice seems to suggests an Air France type disaster of the aircraft hitting the sea like a dart and disintegrating on impact.

• Upvote 1

It's all speculation at present, but I wouldn't rule out the pilots suffering from spatial disorientation and vertigo. There have been a few examples of pilots losing their bearings and being unable to correct problems with the plane like excessive banking and pitch or preventing a stall because they've not recognised the issue in time, if at all. Flying over water at night gives them no visual field so they are more reliant on their instruments.

Ditching the plane in the sea would have been a very drastic last-course-of-action option because it carries a massive risk of the plane breaking up on impact even if the pilots attempted a controlled glide, so I don't think that's what happened.

Wouldn't ATC be aware of everything that is happening anyway? With... Technology... Being you know... Quite good these days?

The pilots wouldn't need to make a distress call for someone to realise something is not right.

It's fucking bizarre this

Without a distress call via the FMC or air traffic control, I would have though that was unlikely. Also, a controlled landing of a 777 into the sea? Just don't see it. Sullenburger managed to land his much smaller A320 on a dead calm river. The ocean would have very likely not been dead calm, and the lack of notice seems to suggests an Air France type disaster of the aircraft hitting the sea like a dart and disintegrating on impact.

The first fault found on a 777 was the Heathrow emergency landing where they eventually decided it was a pipe/tube/filter being blocked by ice because it was flat and so allowed the possibility of a full blockage. They changed the design to a raised design to help the ice crystals melt away or only part block the tube. This happened at low altitude. So did the San Francisco one too.

This current seems to have happened at high altitude but we may never know.

The Air France disaster,involving an airbus a330 was blamed on ice blocking the pitot tubes(sensors on the exterior of the plane,which have since also been redesigned) alongside possible pilot error,also used in the San Francisco crash.

Methinks they havent got a clue and the current stolen passports/terrorism angle may be a diversion from possible design problems.

Terrorism and bombs are much easier to explain away than design flaws.

Incidentally,this flight was co endorsed with China Southern Airlines whose safety reputation is far from ideal.

Maybe its them chinese lot who stabbed all them train people. its a shame more train staff weren't targeted. train staff are cunts. Normal civilians can be left the fuck alone but train staff prey on not just your wallet but your patience. hate them. utter cunts. 

I'll go with the alien theory. Seems most likely. Especially for the fella from widnes. 

You would hope they are all dead and it was quick fuck this slow underwater picked off by giant octopus one by one or breathing in the last inch or two of oxygen,

I'm hoping they hit some kind of time vortex and are now currently making base camp and shitting themselves surrounded by dinosaurs.

• Upvote 4

Or talking gorillas. Or really big people that can't act, like Land Of The Giants.

I'm thinking more along Bobby's lines. I hope some of them have seen jurassic park. "Don't move a muscle, their visions based on movement". 

• Upvote 1

Of course. Can't see it myself. Surely even an emergency beacon would be activated if it was the case.

Seems similar to the Air France stall speed crash. Expect debris to be found soon.

Of course. Can't see it myself. Surely even an emergency beacon would be activated if it was the case.

Seems similar to the Air France stall speed crash. Expect debris to be found soon.

Yep.  I expect there'll be stuff from the catering galley that will be seen soon.  The cream always rises to the top.  

• Upvote 1

The first fault found on a 777 was the Heathrow emergency landing where they eventually decided it was a pipe/tube/filter being blocked by ice because it was flat and so allowed the possibility of a full blockage. They changed the design to a raised design to help the ice crystals melt away or only part block the tube. This happened at low altitude. So did the San Francisco one too.

This current seems to have happened at high altitude but we may never know.

The Air France disaster,involving an airbus a330 was blamed on ice blocking the pitot tubes(sensors on the exterior of the plane,which have since also been redesigned) alongside possible pilot error,also used in the San Francisco crash.

Methinks they havent got a clue and the current stolen passports/terrorism angle may be a diversion from possible design problems.

Terrorism and bombs are much easier to explain away than design flaws.

Incidentally,this flight was co endorsed with China Southern Airlines whose safety reputation is far from ideal.

Faulty pitots could of course result in incorrect readings, and if it's dark, etc, then they could be flying directly into the sea for all they know, but even with that, they are still going to get other readings which would at least cause confusion. The 777 has also been flying for years so I think the idea that they'd be covering up a fault by blaming fictitious terrorists is a bit tinfoil hat stuff. They had no issue dragging out the AF incident and saying they'd no idea what had happened until they knew 100%. They'll do the same here I'd expect.

This could, and probably will end up being pilot error along with some level of tech fault. And if it is, then they'll find out and the AAIU of the state will find out.

All speculation of course and they may have just hit a very hard cloud.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to speculate on the cause, but unfortunately I'm not a pilot and live in Widnes.

My wife still has her house in Widnes where she lived for years, and she is former cabin crew and a qualified air crash investigator. Therefore, this makes you qualified to be able to speculate like the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

Why don't the have big fucking headlights? An Air Canada flight from Toronto to Geneva one of the pilots mistook the planet Venus for an US Air Force plane and dropped 8000ft. Headlights would have solved this.

Better yet, we should abandon all forms of air travel (see Aeroplane Wankers thread) and go back to sea crossings and trains.

Society is too rushed these days.

My wife thinks it got sucked into a wormhole. They obviously went into the future because there is no way 239 people in the past would not have fucked up the space-time continuum.

• Upvote 3

My wife still has her house in Widnes where she lived for years, and she is former cabin crew and a qualified air crash investigator. Therefore, this makes you qualified to be able to speculate like the rest of us.

Woo was on the flight and read that Green Day aren't going to be playing at the next Coachella.

Thunder_Explode.gif

• Upvote 2

Why don't the have big fucking headlights? An Air Canada flight from Toronto to Geneva one of the pilots mistook the planet Venus for an US Air Force plane and dropped 8000ft. Headlights would have solved this.

Better yet, we should abandon all forms of air travel (see Aeroplane Wankers thread) and go back to sea crossings and trains.

Society is too rushed these days.

My wife thinks it got sucked into a wormhole. They obviously went into the future because there is no way 239 people in the past would not have fucked up the space-time continuum.

Maybe they did fuck up the space time continuum and the world we have today is the wrong one. Those fucking passengers.