You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So there was a buy out clause

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26414167

Luis Suarez buy-out clause admitted by Liverpool owner Henry

Liverpool owner John Henry has admitted striker Luis Suarez had a £40m buy-out clause in his previous contract but that the club refused to sell anyway.

Arsenal bid a pound over £40m for the 27-year-old last summer, believing it would force the Reds into a sale.

"Arsenal offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause," said Henry.

"Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position we're just not selling."

Suarez has since signed a new four-and-a-half-year deal with the Anfield club and is currently the top-flight's leading scorer with 24 goals, helping Liverpool to second in the Premier League.

"It's been great for Luis, it's been great for us," added Henry.

A buy-out clause in a contract typically allows a player to leave a club if a stated minimum transfer value is met - but Liverpool insisted last summer that there was nothing in Suarez's contract obliging them to sell the player.

The Uruguayan, who had called on the Reds to let him leave for a club playing in the Champions League, considered putting in a formal transfer request and taking legal action if the dispute was not resolved.

At the time of Arsenal's offer, Henry tweeted: "What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?"

But speaking as part of a panel at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference at the weekend, the 64-year-old American said: "I don't know to what degree I should go into this - but [suarez] had a buy-out clause of £40m.

"But what we've found over the years is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England - actually not in England, in world football.

"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving.

"We sold Fernando Torres for £50m. We didn't want to sell but we were forced to.

"For the first time [with Suarez] we took the position that we weren't selling."

Of Liverpool and Suarez's future prospects, Henry added: "What will happen at the end of year, I think we're going to make Champions League and we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

"We have three gentlemen up front - Suarez, [Raheem] Sterling and [Daniel] Sturridge. Those three are young, and I think [they] could be together for a long time."

The fact there was a clause has never been in any doubt has it? Its what the clause meant. Given the PFA and various lawyers (according to Barrett) viewed the contract and stated it didn't mean he could leave for 40m, this seems like John W trying to rock the Arsenal boat or simple back slapping of him and the board for kudos.

• Upvote 2

Great that he played hardball and we kept Suarez but fucking hell he should not be telling this to the press after its all but been done and forgotten .. What's the point ? It's like's it some macho don't fuck with me message. As Elite said it just creates problems for future  negotiations with players

Brilliant. My opinion at the time was that he was only one incident away from a twelve game ban and I'd have taken £40m. We all make mistakes.

If Arsenal hadn't taken the piss with the £1 and had been a bit more professional about it then maybe FSG would have reciprocated and honoured the contract. Fuck 'em and feed them fish-heads, Arsenal started playing silly buggers and got mugged. After the flak FSG got for fucking up the Jan transfer window it is reassuring to know that they can walk the walk when they try.

Suarez might. If he has been lied to, what's to say he doesn't adopt another stance in the summer.

Extremely foolish of an owner to come out with that sort of statement.

Some things are better left unsaid John. I could tell you how much I would bum your mrs, but what would be the point?. Spazz.

Edit: in response to Stig's who cares.

• Upvote 2

While I can't help but admire the attitude, it opens the door for all sorts of shit down the line. Will a player trust that the deal they sign now is the one they get? Plus why should they show loyalty when the club is effectively bragging about the fact it picks and chooses which agreements it adheres to? Still, I can't help but like the fact Arsenal's cocky bid was fucked off, and if Suarez's goals get us back in the Champions League mix who gives a fuck. I hate footballers anyway, fuck'em.

Can't believe the fuss this story is generating, it may not even be true as it hasn't been corroborated. Some supporters by their nature would rather search for an island of negativity in an ocean of positivity.

Agreed

the reaction by some after the swansea game was as if we had just been bummed 

In another thread I suggested that the nearer we got to achieving our goal - Cl finish, or even the league - the more likely there would be attempts to undermine the club. The first was trying to resurrect the Suarez/Evra incident, and now this. I don't know if there's anything to the story, or if Henry actually said it, but it makes the club look bad and potentially could rekindle bad blood on the part of Suarez.

In any case, it doesn't fucking help and I can't believe Henry even said it. Expect more of this the more likely it seems we'll win the league or finish in the top 3.

Suarez might. If he has been lied to, what's to say he doesn't adopt another stance in the summer.

Extremely foolish of an owner to come out with that sort of statement.

Some things are better left unsaid John. I could tell you how much I would bum your mrs, but what would be the point?. Spazz.

Edit: in response to Stig's who cares.

Its almost like they're trying to stir Luis up in to wanting away...

Agreed

the reaction by some after the swansea game was as if we had just been bummed 

Even the Southampton game was an ocean of bad vibes. They hit the post and forced a great save from Mignolet at 1-0 which means we were a whisker away from getting absolutely stuffed by them. For fuck's sake, a team of Southampton's quality are going to have their moments. I can understand getting into a flap during the game but to still be banging on about it after we've spent the last 30 minutes of the game in cruise control is deranged.

I think it's likely Henry said what he is being quoted as having said. He was in front of an audience all too eager to tell him how brilliant he was - the man who reversed the curse of the Bambino! - so he thought, well, you have no idea just how brilliant I am, there was this contract situation in England . . . I'd rather he had been more discreet, but it's no big deal. It'll be long forgotten by the Man Utd game when there might just be something else to get Suarez riled.

What are they smoking over there in Boston?

Absolutely uncalled for if indeed he said it or he was misquoted by the press. Anyway, there always seems to be something to rock our boat when we just just start to get our act together, isn't there? Reminiscent of Benitez's "...fact.." rant the last time we're doing well in the league.