You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Italy

Bjornebye

Rem/L19 red - where is the best place round cinque terre to stay? any ideas? booking the hotel for a night this week but not sure where is the best part to stay

We stayed about an hour by train to the north of the cinque terre in Santa Margherita Ligure which is a big and classy seaside town, big harbour, pricey shops, loads of big hotels, Rod Stewart got married there. Portofino is a few miles around the headland and is even more expensive. Smaller but also very nice and a couple of miles further north is Camogli and above it San Rocco. The path that goes around the headland from San Rocco has the most amazing little bar built into the cliffs with views over the Gulf of Paradise that are breathtaking.

The 5 villages of the cinque terre are lovely but not much more than a harbour and a few streets apart from the one on top of the cliffs which is just a few streets. There are plenty of places to eat in all of them and you can get around them all in a day using the ferry. If you want small they are great, if you want bigger then try Santa Marghertia and pop into the Hotel Splendido in Portofino for a €25 cocktail.

Rapallo was ok but I dont know about the towns in between Rapallo and the the cinque terre or La Spezia to the south.

• Upvote 1

Nice one Stickman , we weren't sure where to stay on Garda

How long do we need to stay in Rome to get everything done?

My slim experience of Rome tells me that you'll never get everything done, no matter how long you stay, so either go for a few days with no plans and just stumble into whatever you stumble into, or go with a realistic plan to see the 6-10 things you really want to tick off a list, but no more.

Trying to do too much in Rome is a recipe for not enjoying it.

I didn't enjoy Rome partly for that reason, partly cause it was too hot for me and partly because of the sheer amount of people (tourists and people trying to fleece tourists) absolutely everywhere that you want to go.

My favourite bits of Rome were inside churches here the sun was off me and it was quiet.

Edit; honeymooned in lake como. Idyllic, will defo go back, but its probably not part of a quick tour as there's almost nothing to 'do'.

Florence is incredible and Perugia is cool too.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rem/L19 red - where is the best place round cinque terre to stay? any ideas? booking the hotel for a night this week but not sure where is the best part to stay 

Manarola is a lovely village.  Great seafood restaurants and lovely vibe, especially at night time when the day trippers have all left.

we cant wait to be honest. We have pretty much been told we have 4 days free in florence in a lovely city centre hotel and all. we were going to do one of the day trips to pisa, cinqueterre and back but to be honest that manarola looks like the type of place to see in the day and the night so we will stay there. 

It's quality alright.  Everywhere is so different.  Been there annually for the last three years and can only see that continuing for the forseeable.

I've been at least once a year for the last eight or nine (since my mate bought a house there). Seen quite a lot of the country, but think if I were to move there (which I'm seriously considering) it would be central Italy, probably Le Marche.

we cant wait to be honest. We have pretty much been told we have 4 days free in florence in a lovely city centre hotel and all. we were going to do one of the day trips to pisa, cinqueterre and back but to be honest that manarola looks like the type of place to see in the day and the night so we will stay there.

Pisa is all about the tower, duomo and baptistry which is all in one place the campo dei miracoli. If you are going under your own steam from Florence then half a day max for Pisa and go to Lucca for the rest of the day

I've been at least once a year for the last eight or nine (since my mate bought a house there). Seen quite a lot of the country, but think if I were to move there (which I'm seriously considering) it would be central Italy, probably Le Marche.

I live here (Italy, not Marche) so if you need any help then PM me. The bureaucracy at the beginning can be a headache.

Its a lovely place to live.

Yeah Bolzano is about an hour or so from each and is a German speaking region although you can get by ok with Italian.

I've been through Marche a few times and visited a few places, but I haven't spent a long time there. Urbino and Gradara are fantastic. I didn't stop at a beach, but I have heard there are a few nice ones. You've also got mountains if you fancy hiking and in general its a beautiful region.

Marche has an English community if you want to keep in touch with British culture - most Brits opt for the Tuscany, Umbria, Marche, Emilia-Romagna regions to live.

I just like central Italy, I certainly wouldn't be moving to be near Brits. That's the main reason I'm fucking leaving. Marche, from, I guess, a combined 5/6 months of being there, seems like a slightly less high brow version of Tuscany. Macerata is a great little University big town/small city. Ascoli Piceno is also really nice. Not seen much of Ancona, usually go to the beach a few miles further south.

The town I usually stay in (probably only about 2000 people) as far as I'm aware has no other Brits. I speak some Italian, from travelling there a lot, and having an Italian ex, and to be honest I like having to engage with the local culture.

Thinking of moving next year, probably just after the general election. It may sway my decision!