You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Italy

Bjornebye

We have decided that instead of booking a resort for 2 weeks this summer, we are going to do a road trip of Italy. 

12 days, so far we have planned to fly into Verona, then hire a car and drive across to Lake Garda. Stay there for a few days then drive to Venice, Bologna then Florence, then to Pisa, then back down off the beaten track to Rome (Possibly via Perugia) , then drive down the coast to Naples and the Amalfi Coast. 

Has anyone done anything similar or can recommend so nice places along the way? We were planning on staying in each place for a few nights except Pisa (we only wanna see the leaning tower) 

When I was in Venice, then after when we moved on to Greece, loads and loads of backpackers we met recommended a place called Cinque Terre as somewhere absolutely idyllic to go.  Looks perfect for a few days with the bird.

Only thing I would say generally, is careful not to spread it too thin mate.  Sometimes ripping up the itinerary and enjoying fewer places for as long as you're feeling like being in each, works out nicer than a whistle stop tour where you don't see things in as much depth and keep to a tight schedule.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I went to Cinqueterre, couple hours from Pisa by train but don't think you can drive there. Absolutely spectacular place. 5 little fishing villages cut into the cliffs with stunning views, really nice to walk between the villages.

manarola-cinque-terre1.jpg

Florence and the Amalfi coast are also massive highlights of Italy for me. You probably don't have time for Sardinia in your schedule which is a bit of a shame. Pisa was shit, all its got is the stupid tower.

Might see you there, I'm thinking of going in June...

• Upvote 1

Nice one fellas

Yeah been looking at Cinqueterra and think we will defo go there, gonna fuck Pisa off as I suspected exactly what you said Rem

Is Sardinia worth it? She fancies it but I said we don't want to try and pack too much in, although if we wanted we could get more time off and do 3 weeks....

The Brazilian man story hand shandy keeps on alluding to:

The first time I ever went travelling on my own was to Italy, after the 2006 World cup where I'd spent 3 weeks in Germany with 2 friends. The first new friends I made were a Brazilian guy and a Mexican guy sharing my dorm at a Hostel. I knew the area having travelled there before, Genoa. I recommended going to one of the most amazing places I've ever been - Cinqueterra. Ideally you take a bird there - really scenic and beautiful - 5 villages cut into a cliff face and you can write your names in a section of a walk called Lovers Lane. Nonetheless it was still a great place to go so off we were to set out in the morning.

The next day Mexican went off somewhere else with friends never to be seen again. Went with Brazilian fella and spent a nice day in the scorching sun in Cinqueterra. A few odd things came up in conversation, but I put it all down to cultural differences. He was a very generous guy and bought me loads of drinks and offered to pay for a hotel in Cinqueterra instead of the hostel. I politely rebuffed his offer as I prefer hostels and it was a bit of a backwater to get to and from for my journey. We went swimming and afterwards he was complaining about his shorts chaffing and next time we should skinny dip. I said I don't think that's appropriate in Italy, there are kids about. He said it's ok we'll go somewhere secluded. We didn't go somewhere secluded.

Fast forward and we get back to the hostel, the previous night had been full but this night only me and him. Fucking hot so in bed in my boxers, he is butt naked under his sheet and chooses this time to say: The reason I do not have girlfriend is I like Men. Ideally I'd have a man and a woman at the same time.

With brilliant tact I reposte ideally I'd have 2 women at once. He woke me up at 5.30am looking at me like no man has ever and hopefully never will look at me again and then said.....

Can I Kiss your Penis?

I said no. He rolled over and I saw his shoulder going like a Jackhammer. Yes, he was having a wank.

No I didn't get the 1 billion clues he gave me, well I got the one about fucking men and wanting to kiss my penis, but none before that.

End.

• Upvote 7

Avoid August if you can - its ridiculously hot and the entire country is on holiday.

Starting in Verona you could go to Venice and then either back track to the south part of Garda, or go through the Dolomites to Bolzano. If you go to Bolzano you could then take the mountain route via Sondrio to Lake Como. If you go to Garda then the drive around it is pretty good.

Heading South from Verona, the highlights are Florence, Sienna and Pisa. Bologna has a nice old town and great restaurants, but it doesn't match the other cities. Florence deserves a number of days and if you want to go to the Museums then make sure you get up early to beat the queues. Driving through Tuscany is lovely and it would be worth visiting one of the many hill top towns - Montalcino is my particular favourite and the local Brunello wine is ace.

Alternatively you could go through Marche instead (or come back that way) and see the likes of Urbino and then Perugia and the 'spine' of Italy.

Then ofcourse you get to Rome.

South of Rome you could head past Cassino for Naples and the Amalfi coast. The coast is a spectacular drive although if you are after sand beaches then this area isn't the best as its mostly rocks. However you have things like Pompei, Positano that make up for it.

The South coast is worth a visit if you have time. Most visitors dont see Calabria or Puglia and they miss out on experiencing life in the South which is very different to life in the North. In my opinion the food in these regions are the best in Italy too, especially if you like seafood. If you do head to Puglia be sure to see Matera and the Trulli in Alberobello. You could also take the car over to Sicily.

But the great thing about Italy is the diversity of the regions. Each will give you a different experience if you explore.

Handy tips for driving - Lights are mandatory on major roads and through tunnels so just keep them on all the time. Italians tend to park wherever they like, but always make sure you are parking in a legit spot and have a ticket. If you do get a fine, you can pay it at the post office. Petrol can be self service or you'll see places where someone fills up your car - they expect a small tip. Italians love using the horn - you'll get used to it (eventually). Avoid driving through major cities if you can - it'll be a stressful experience.

Think you're doing too much in 12 days and you'll waste a lot of time in the car.

A couple of years ago we did something similar over 2 weeks. 2 nights in Rome, drove up to Elba for 3 nights. Then 3 nights in Florence, out into the Tuscan countryside for 4 nights and then finally up to Venice for 2 nights. It was good but a bit rushed, especially in the cities. We also probably lost the best part of 3 days in a car, as despite best efforts, even a 3 hour drive tends to fuck up most of the day. I'd be tempted to do Venice (pick up car on way out), Garda, Florence and a Tuscan villa. That way you'll get enough time in each place and only one longish drive.

On a side note, Google can fuck off with 2.5 hours between Florence and Venice - those roads are nowhere near fast enough

Think you're doing too much in 12 days and you'll waste a lot of time in the car.

Yeah. You can divide Italy into a number of holidays. The Lakes and the Mountains, Venice + Florence + Sienna + Rome, Amalfi and Sicily, Sardenga, The East and South Coast.

I found the trains there very good value, sod the car

They are if you book in advance. You can buy tickets on the trenitalia website. Intercity trains are great, fast and run on time. Regional trains can be a mixed bag depending on the region.

Definitely book ahead, especially in cities and especially in summer. Otherwise you'll waste the best part of a day trying to find somewhere and your money won't last nearly as long as you want it to.

Oh, and make sure you book sat nav and air conditioning for the car

The Brazilian man story hand shandy keeps on alluding to:

Fair play, that could only have been more graciously handled if you'd handed him your passport so he could wank over your photo.

When I was staying in a little pension offshoot from a hostel in Barcelona, there was an odd older chap staying there who did things like leaving a pair of skidmarked y-fronts in the bathroom sink, and came out with jarring remarks and quirks.

One morning I was lying on my bunk still absolutely seething drunk in plus 30 degree heat, with a full-scale bastard raging behind the eyes.  I got that horrible sixth sense of someone looking at you, and opened an eye to see him stood in his drawers watching me sleep.  Somewhat more uncouth and less cultured than yourself our conversation went.

Me: Might I ask what the fuck you think you're doing?

Him: * Stutters a bit, looks out of the window, tries to blag * Buildings, hmm, I just like, aren't they...structures.  Fascinating things, structures.

Me: Just don't be getting fascinated with my structure, and we'll all get on fine.

Him: Hmm.

Him, to my mate who walked in a few minutes later: Not sure what's wrong with Mr Angry today.

• Upvote 2

Avoid August if you can - its ridiculously hot and the entire country is on holiday.

Agree with this. I enjoyed Italy when I went there but Rome especially would have been a lot more comfortable had I not gone in August. It was well above 30 during the day, and stayed about 25 in the evenings too. Even though the coast and the lakes will be hot, at least there's a breeze.

We have decided that instead of booking a resort for 2 weeks this summer, we are going to do a road trip of Italy. 

12 days, so far we have planned to fly into Verona, then hire a car and drive across to Lake Garda. Stay there for a few days then drive to Venice, Bologna then Florence, then to Pisa, then back down off the beaten track to Rome (Possibly via Perugia) , then drive down the coast to Naples and the Amalfi Coast. 

Has anyone done anything similar or can recommend so nice places along the way? We were planning on staying in each place for a few nights except Pisa (we only wanna see the leaning tower) 

Perugia, you say?

Amanda-Knox-arrives-at-he-010.jpg

• Upvote 2