You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

No, there's no relegation in American sports. Thank God.

The Padres were out of the playoff race months ago. They won't really have much impact on the wild card race either, as they don't play any of the serious contenders for the wild card in their final games.

Unfortunately, their division (the NL West) includes the LA Dodgers, who have deep pockets. Next year will be a tough one for the Padres....and baseball is a looooong season of 162 games. If you suck, you suck all spring, summer, and part of the fall.

In fairness, half our pitching staff, and starters are from our farm system.

The Angels thrashed Texas last night to clinch the AL West and almost certainly hand the Red Sox the AL wild card place. A certain someone is going to be mighty upset, but fuck him.

The NL wild card race is still in the balance, as the Braves beat the Marlins to go 2 games behind the Rockies in the wild card standings. That's 7 successive wins for Bobby Cox's men. The Rockies did not play last night, so both teams have 6 games remaining.

In the AL Central, rain postponed the first game in the pivotal 4 game series between the Tigers and the Twins, so the race for the post season there is still intriguing.

• 5 weeks later...
The Braves are my team. Yeah baby.

Mine too, shame we collapsed in the last week of the regular season, looked like we had a chance of snatching the wild card spot from the Rockies at one point, but we slumped and they did what they had to.

Important that the starting rotation contains Tim Hudson next year and it's good to see that contract negotiations have been started.

No score going in to the third, it's a game for the pitchers this one.

Well that's what the commentator said anyway, what colour are the Yankees?

Just kiddin'

Chase Utley has scored the first run of the World Series with a 2 out solo home run off Sabathia in the top of the 3rd.

Yeah just seen that, don't think i will last much longer though i'm too tired.

Having to keep track of the game via MLB.com gameday, as I'm sat in work till 08:00. Hopefully will catch the replay on ESPN America in the morning before going to sleep.

Phillies take the first game with a 6-1 win behind a superb pitching performance from Cliff Lee, who threw a complete game and struck out 10 in the process.

loving the two catches he made - he might be my new favorite pitcher.

the first one was so nonchalant...hilarious

[YOUTUBE]69SUdVw-LvY[/YOUTUBE]

the second was pure genius/talent...

[YOUTUBE]X0DMr1n5Ggs[/YOUTUBE]

The Yankees have squared the series with a 3-1 win in game 2 behind a solid pitching performance from AJ Burnett.

Pedro was tagged for all 3 Yankees runs off 6 hits, including 2 solo home runs.

Game 3 sees another battle of the lefties, with Andy Pettitte up against Cole Hamels in the hitter friendly Citizens Bank Park.