You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is going to be our next home grown star?

Elite

It's been a while since we've had stars come through, Gerrard being the last. We've blooded some decent young players who can do a job as part of the squad but no stand outs. Sterling and Ibe are possible our biggest prospects but my gut feeling is that they will become good players but not special players who will become the focal point of our team. I have heard Rossiter is the hot new prospect but I havent seen him play.

Although he is on loan, I am led to believe Coady has a bright future.

With Sterling, I hope he will become the player we all think he can be, but I think too much attention and hype is not good for him (the England call up last year being perfect example).

The money is ruining the game also, lets say Sterling plays 30 games this season in league and cups and scores 10 with 10 assists, do we wait for the £20m bid from a London club or City? That cloud is no good for their progress.

Although he is on loan' date=' I am led to believe Coady has a bright future.

With Sterling, I hope he will become the player we all think he can be, but I think too much attention and hype is not good for him (the England call up last year being perfect example).

The money is ruining the game also, lets say Sterling plays 30 games this season in league and cups and scores 10 with 10 assists, do we wait for the £20m bid from a London club or City? That cloud is no good for their progress.[/quote']

Is Coady not getting a bit old to have any real chance of getting in the team? Kelly, Wisdom, Robinson, Suso Sterling and now Ibe all seemed to be in the frame from a young age, whereas Coady has only featured in a handful of cup games over the last few seasons.

He's never been called upon seriously, like sterling, suso, wisdom or Kelly have been. Unfortunately, I see his career going the way of Spearing. I don't doubt he's a good player, but I can't see him dislodging Gerrard, Lucas, Allen, Henderson and any other midfielders Rodgers might sign.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sinclair and Rossiter seem likely. Ibe is a genuine talent, a boy playing against men. Sterling, at 18, if he was at Chelsea or Atletico, people would piss themselves about him. He just needs time to become a top player. My Manc-supporting mate mentioned how great he thought Sterling was and how much he was a top-youngster. Some of our fanbase forget he's just a youngster.

It may be a touch unfair but genuinely, Jordan Rossiter looks a bigger talent than Jack Wilshere was at that age. The sky is the limit for him. Also, Ibe is already physically ready for first team football and has that bit of pace and trickery about him. I think he'll end up a better player than Sterling.

think he is already about 23 but if it wasn't for injuries and Glen Johnson I think Martin Kelly would easily be first choice for club and country(well if country had a manager that had a clue about football), think he is ace, lot of people think he'll move to centre back but I see him as a right back, think like Carra he may become a huge part of the team in his mid-late twenties

Ryan McLaughlin will make it I think, Ibe, Sterling, Wisdom, Sinclair and the youngest of the lot is Rossiter. Those are the stand outs for me, maybe missed a few but those all look good.

Kelly you have to say has made it but for injuries.

A lot of talent, just takes luck with injuries and the players keep applying themselves and anything is possible.

It's harder to say than you'd think, isn't it?

First of all, there's the obvious difficulty in extrapolating a youngster's talent curve out 5 years to predict where a 15-year old is going to be when he's 20. I still recall when Hodgson threw two of our youngsters into the Konchesky deal, and those who followed the academy were incensed about one of them (the other we really didn't see a future for, so no one really cared). The one we were upset to lose, Lauri Dalla Valle, had looked like the next coming of Fowler. He's now in the Belgian second division. The one we didn't care about, Kacaniklic, is now a full Swedish international and scored 4 PL goals for Fulham last season. It definitely looked like being the other way around when they left, which just illustrates how difficult it can be to predict a career path for a 15-year old.

Then the other questions come into play. What do you mean by "homegrown"? Must the player in question be a scouser who's been at the academy for at least 8 years? Or do we count the likes of Sterling or Suso that we paid big money for as 15-year olds?

And what qualifies as a "star"? Is Kelly a "star"? Or are you asking who the next player will be to reach the world-class level (whatever that means)?

Many have mentioned Sterling, and if he qualifies as homegrown for you, then he's the obvious answer. In the same vein of players we bought as 14-16 year olds, Chirivella who I haven't seen play yet has some serious hype around him, as does his fellow Spaniard Canos.

Rossiter is probably the best player to come through our academy in some time. Again, you can't say too much about where he'll end up because he's still very young, but he has SO much talent I'd be surprised if he didn't at the very least reach the squad level for the first team.

I'm a bit surprised that McLaughlin hasn't had a chance in the first team yet; he always looks good for the various youth sides, sort of how Insua always did. Sinclair and Ojo are highly rated, but not really by me. I think behind Sterling there's Ibe, Rossiter, and McLaughlin that are probably the next few to get a chance. Other than Sterling, though, there are not really any nailed-on stars coming out of the academy this year. Still, the improvement there is remarkable from where we were a few years ago, and there are a number of talented players who will all have a decent shot to make it to our first team.

[quote name=Ne Moe Imya;3702186

Rossiter is probably the best player to come through our academy in some time. Again' date=' you can't say too much about where he'll end up because he's still very young, but he has SO much talent I'd be surprised if he didn't at the very least reach the squad level for the first team.

.[/quote]

It's a guessing game much as anything but if pressed I'd agree McClaughlin looks like he could cut it if he keeps improving and the maturity Rossiter shows and the influence he has on U-21 games already only just turned 16 is hard to ignore.

The other name I'd add would be Dunn but this year he would have to kick on to the next level. Marc Pelosi as looking a prospect before the injury too.

No young player these days needs any added pressure or hype thanks to 24/7 saturation coverage which means we know so much about these youngsters already but with a bit of luck don't see why one or two of these names won't be able to step up.

We have spent a huge amount of money on youth players in recent years. It must be close to £10 million in total on Sterling, Ibe,Chirivella, Canos, O'Hanlon, Ojo, and Teixeira etc.

I agree with this policy though, as we'd only need one player to make it really big to cover the cost of the whole lot.

A few years ago I'd have backed Coady and Pacheco to make it here, yet neither will get even close. I now think both will have to work hard just to make it in the football league.

Toni Silva was another player I liked, yet he was bombed out and seems to have dropped of the radar completely!

I seem to be an expert in picking players that won't make it!

Based on the Notts County league game I'd say that Sterling is a good level above Ibe at present. 

I'd like to see both Ibe and Sterling on loan in the championship at some point to see where they are at. Players like Zaha and Tom Ince were tearing it up week in week out last season, although they were both about 2 years older than Sterling and Ibe are now.

I hope Ince is the exception rather than the rule, and that players don't feel that they have to leave us to make it. I wasn't that bothered about Ince when he left, but he has really progressed. Perhaps it was the kick up the arse that he needed?