You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand comments like the above.

How on earth could it ever be considered an unhealthy obsession for fans of a club to still like the manager who won them a European Cup? What has happened to our fan base that they want to just dismiss all discussion of a manager who gave us so much joy only a few years back? What kind of bitterness has riddled our support?

Good stuff JohnnyH, cant even have a thread where he goes to manage in another country and it makes some throw a strop, strange world.

Oh well that's just great. Dredge up an article from 4 years ago, that's relevant to your comment about him buying Aquilani now. Rafa already admitted to Aquilani being a mistake but you go right ahead, you tedious fucker.

Don't bother replying, well you can but I won't read it as I'll now be sticking you on ignore with all of the other giant fucking cunts who infest this place.

Prick.

Haha, brilliant! Maybe you ought to take your mancrush to Rafa Benitez Official Website, grow a sense of humour and stop taking the internet so seriously before you leave the site in bitterness again. Guess what - it's a discussion forum, people will disagree with you. Can't handle it? Get the fuck out!

How on earth could it ever be considered an unhealthy obsession for fans of a club to still like the manager who won them a European Cup? What has happened to our fan base that they want to just dismiss all discussion of a manager who gave us so much joy only a few years back? What kind of bitterness has riddled our support?

And second to that, Zig, where has any Liverpool fan ever described Benitez as “bigger than the club” or even treated him in such a way? Or is it now that liking the manager and wanting him to come back as manager somehow now constitute thinking the person is “bigger than the club”? It’s nonsense if that’s the perception. Sure you may as well say that our fans think Carragher or Gerrard are bigger then the club given the (correct) adulation they receive.

A lot of people on this website, and in the greater world of social media need to get over the fact that a lot of Liverpool fans still really like Rafa Benitez. Some even want him back as manager. They think he is a better manager then what we have, and the simple fact is, as it currently stands, they are right. However, many others who also like Rafa, also think that we now have a young manager who is showing great promise and are more then happy with him and want him to be given real and proper time to try and emulate and surpass the success we had recently under Rafa in getting us back challenging. If he does this over the coming years then he will hopefully be considered better then Rafa. That’s where I stand. I’m more then happy with Rodgers and want him to stay. But I also still love Rafa.

I see it on here and on the likes of twitter all the time. The second anyone says anything remotely nice about Rafa or even just comments about his links to a new club; the rabid masses are on it like vultures to a carcass. They just can’t stand to see him mentioned in a good way and so come in throwing negatives all around and stirring up the hornets’ nest. We see comments like “obsessed” and “besotted”, when all that’s happening is the people that still like the fella are discussing him as he’s relevant. If the people who are genuinely obsessed with talking him down just ignored it, then the threads would petter out in a normal way. Instead they are so overly negative that when someone else comes back and calls them on it and says Rafa did a lot of good, they are immediately accused of thinking Rafa’s bigger than the club, etc. It’s total and utter rubbish

The exaggerating of people’s positives feelings on Rafa is daft. If you don’t like Rafa threads discussing what he may do next, then ignore them as diving into every tweet or thread on a forum to decry people chatting about him just so you can say he’s rubbish; and then get all annoyed when people respond with support for the former manager is getting very tiresome and just looks foolish. The vast majority of grief around Rafa now seems to be people jumping on threads and reacting to some fan still having the temerity to like the fella. Get over it. He’s relevant and lots of fans still love him. Accept it.

Fucking spot on. The obsessed ones are the ones who cannot allow a Rafa thread on this board without jumping in a posting something negative about him. As has been said if you don't like him or whatever stay the fuck out of Rafa threads it's that simple.

Haha, brilliant! Maybe you ought to take your mancrush to Rafa Benitez Official Website, grow a sense of humour and stop taking the internet so seriously before you leave the site in bitterness again. Guess what - it's a discussion forum, people will disagree with you. Can't handle it? Get the fuck out!

You've been here 5 minutes lad and it's clear for all to see the sort of shit you're gonna add to an already deteriorating forum. Maybe you should fuck off?

And second to that, Zig, where has any Liverpool fan ever described Benitez as “bigger than the club” or even treated him in such a way? Or is it now that liking the manager and wanting him to come back as manager somehow now constitute thinking the person is “bigger than the club”? It’s nonsense if that’s the perception. Sure you may as well say that our fans think Carragher or Gerrard are bigger then the club given the (correct) adulation they receive.

A lot of people on this website, and in the greater world of social media need to get over the fact that a lot of Liverpool fans still really like Rafa Benitez. Some even want him back as manager. They think he is a better manager then what we have, and the simple fact is, as it currently stands, they are right. However, many others who also like Rafa, also think that we now have a young manager who is showing great promise and are more then happy with him and want him to be given real and proper time to try and emulate and surpass the success we had recently under Rafa in getting us back challenging. If he does this over the coming years then he will hopefully be considered better then Rafa. That’s where I stand. I’m more then happy with Rodgers and want him to stay. But I also still love Rafa.

I see it on here and on the likes of twitter all the time. The second anyone says anything remotely nice about Rafa or even just comments about his links to a new club; the rabid masses are on it like vultures to a carcass. They just can’t stand to see him mentioned in a good way and so come in throwing negatives all around and stirring up the hornets’ nest. We see comments like “obsessed” and “besotted”, when all that’s happening is the people that still like the fella are discussing him as he’s relevant. If the people who are genuinely obsessed with talking him down just ignored it, then the threads would petter out in a normal way. Instead they are so overly negative that when someone else comes back and calls them on it and says Rafa did a lot of good, they are immediately accused of thinking Rafa’s bigger than the club, etc. It’s total and utter rubbish

The exaggerating of people’s positives feelings on Rafa is daft. If you don’t like Rafa threads discussing what he may do next, then ignore them as diving into every tweet or thread on a forum to decry people chatting about him just so you can say he’s rubbish; and then get all annoyed when people respond with support for the former manager is getting very tiresome and just looks foolish. The vast majority of grief around Rafa now seems to be people jumping on threads and reacting to some fan still having the temerity to like the fella. Get over it. He’s relevant and lots of fans still love him. Accept it.

Spot on. Could not have put it better myself. And I too am behind Rodgers.

Cunt.

• Downvote 1

A good move- and he has a point to rpove, and unfinished business, in Serie A.

Unfinished business ?? haha, did his 'business' even start ? May I just add that as people appear to be drumming home how it's ok to like him, it's also ok to dislike him, it really is. I'm also pretty sure he doesn't read the forum, so wishing him good luck is fairly pointless, just a heads up.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

Unfinished business ?? haha, did his 'business' even start ? May I just add that as people appear to be drumming home how it's ok to like him, it's also ok to dislike him, it really is. I'm also pretty sure he doesn't read the forum, so wishing him good luck is fairly pointless, just a heads up.

I don’t think anybody has an issue with people not liking him. In fact, some of the people I talk to most on here and twitter would be considered his “haters” and we get along just dandy. This issue is with people diving in to abuse you as the poster and rant and rave and drag a thread down just because he might be getting discussed. Some people just can’t let it go that some folk like the man.

A thread could start on the FF or MF right now asking the question of posters as how well Rafa might do with Napoli. Before the 1st page is even complete you’ll have comments saying “He’s fucking gone, move the fuck on” and “here we go again more obsessed Rafa shite - try supporting the current manager FFS!” or “if only you cared about Liverpool as much as your beloved Rafa”; and other such nonsense as that. That is what I have an issue with. I like Rafa. I also like Rodgers. I’m capable of liking a former manager as well as a current one, in the same way I am capable of liking more then one player and former players. It does not mean I think any of them are bigger the club or I just care about 1 person.

The only think that drags these threads into the mess they always become is when certain posters just can’t allow a discussion to run its course without abusing the posters who seem to still like that former manager. They then also throw in the obligatory stuff about how shite the manager was/is. So, of course, the other poster comes back to defend himself and point out he doesn’t think the manager is anywhere near as bad as is being said and lists the good he thinks he has done. Thereby follows “You’re obsessed”. “You think he never got anything wrong” and the rest of the usual crap. There are people obsessed with Benitez, but I'd wager that more often then not it’s not the ones who like him.

I don’t think anybody has an issue with people not liking him. In fact, some of the people I talk to most on here and twitter would be considered his “haters” and we get along just dandy. This issue is with people diving in to abuse you as the poster and rant and rave and drag a thread down just because he might be getting discussed. Some people just can’t let it go that some folk like the man.

A thread could start on the FF or MF right now asking the question of posters as how well Rafa might do with Napoli. Before the 1st page is even complete you’ll have comments saying “He’s fucking gone, move the fuck on” and “here we go again more obsessed Rafa shite - try supporting the current manager FFS!” or “if only you cared about Liverpool as much as your beloved Rafa”; and other such nonsense as that. That is what I have an issue with. I like Rafa. I also like Rodgers. I’m capable of liking a former manager as well as a current one, in the same way I am capable of liking more then one player and former players. It does not mean I think any of them are bigger the club or I just care about 1 person.

The only think that drags these threads into the mess they always become is when certain posters just can’t allow a discussion to run its course without abusing the posters who seem to still like that former manager. They then also throw in the obligatory stuff about how shite the manager was/is. So, of course, the other poster comes back to defend himself and point out he doesn’t think the manager is anywhere near as bad as is being said and lists the good he thinks he has done. Thereby follows “You’re obsessed”. “You think he never got anything wrong” and the rest of the usual crap. There are people obsessed with Benitez, but I'd wager that more often then not it’s not the ones who like him.

On the other hand you have the posters who throw his name in to threads when the thread has nothing at all to do with him. Take a look at the FF now and I bet there is more threads with his name being mentioned by people who want him back than there is not wanting him back.

You can't have a rational conversation or debate about the man, that's thanks to both parties equally the pro and the against, simple as that. Hence why this forum exists, I appreciate posts like JH above but in truth it's gone way beyond the point where you can try and legislate, justify or question posts on Benitez. If you want to wish him well then do so, but don't spit your dummy when the next man along comes and calls him a fraud. If you want to question his motives behind managerial positions then fine but don't get the hump when somebody tells you he's the best manager we've had in years.

Unfinished business ?? haha, did his 'business' even start ?

I agree, and this time he will have learned.

Chelsea, in retrospect, was great for him. No politics, do the football, succeed, i think he will do well there.

(best not to piss off the fans in Napoli though!)