You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where we struggle is on the lawn. It is burnt out and looks like shit by early June' date=' no matter how much irrigation. Anyone got any tips for grass in a climate where it's minus 10 during the winter and over 30 for most of the summer?[/quote']

Strangely, I don't have this problem but I'm intrigued so will give it some thought.

Lawns really are a man thing!

Generally they have the same issue except for one garden. They spent 3 grand about 4 years ago on a complete returf from an Austrian company. Unfortunately they don't seem to know what the grass is and it seems to be deteriorating anyway. I'd like to avoid a huge outlay, especially if temporary, and find a good seed. We don't really have a weed issue so I'm hoping I can do this myself without turfing

Have a word with the greenkeeper at your local golf club. He'll have to deal with exactly the same conditions as you're struggling with whilst also needing the course to look great and will be able to point you in the right direction.

A mate of mine has a fantastic lawn and he is always moaning about his next door neighbours back garden, which is a jungle, not just grass but trees and nesting things.

Anyway I dropped him off the other week and next door had set up goals on his lawn and were having a 2 a side.

'WTF' he said. 'well we cant do it on my garden' was the answer as my mate disappeared into his front door.

• Upvote 1

Have a word with the greenkeeper at your local golf club. He'll have to deal with exactly the same conditions as you're struggling with whilst also needing the course to look great and will be able to point you in the right direction.

That's a really good idea.

I was also thinking about your lack of weeds. Its making me wonder if your soil isn't very fertile. If you're considering reseeding its maybe worth improving the soil at the same time

Good idea, I'll give that a go