You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, how would you react  

187 members have voted

1. 1. So, how would you react

• I'd defo sing derogatory things; no different to Steve Bruce's massive head, its something to target
    • I'd like to think i wouldnt sing, but if the song was funny i'd probably join in
    • It would depend who it was - if it was a blue or a manc i'd join in
    • I'm really not arsed at all about people sexual orientation but would expect others to sing
    • I'd be abhorred if people sang about someone being gay
    • Other - state your feelings

NFL star Wallace lands himself in trouble after homophobic remarks about Collins

The Miami Dolphins have condemned one of their leading players for making homophobic remarks after NBA star Jason Collins became the first player in a major American team sport to come out as gay. The 34-year-old, who played most recently for the Washington Wizards in an NBA career spanning 12 seasons and six teams, came out in an article with Sports Illustrated magazine.

He wrote: 'I'm a 34-year-old NBA centre. I'm black. And I'm gay. 'I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." 'If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.'

Collins received widespread support on Twitter following the article, but 26-year-old wide receiver Wallace's attitude was rather different. He Tweeted: 'All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH (shaking my head) ...' He later deleted the Tweet and posted: 'Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended.'

His team issued a statement saying Wallace had apologised and they had spoken to him about the matter. The statement on the team's official Twitter feed said: 'Mike Wallace has apologised for his comments, and we have addressed the matter with him. 'Mike's comments do not reflect the views of the Miami Dolphins. We believe in a culture of inclusiveness and respect, and any statements to the contrary are in no way acceptable to our organisation. 'We will address the entire team about our policy of inclusion and make sure they all understand the importance of respecting individual choices.'

Revealing he was gay, Collins said he was pleased he could finally 'do the right thing' and 'stop hiding'. He wrote: 'No one wants to live in fear. I've always been scared of saying the wrong thing. I don't sleep well. I never have. But each time I tell another person, I feel stronger and sleep a little more soundly. 'It takes an enormous amount of energy to guard such a big secret. I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew. 'And yet when I acknowledged my sexuality I felt whole for the first time. I still had the same sense of humour, I still had the same mannerisms and my friends still had my back'

He added: 'Pro basketball is a family. And pretty much every family I know has a brother, sister or cousin who's gay. In the brotherhood of the NBA, I just happen to be the one who's out.'

Collins, who is now a free agent, has reached the NBA finals twice and said he intended to continue his career.

Read more: Mike Wallace condemned by Miami Dolphins for homophobic remarks about Jason Collins | Mail Online

Guest davelfc
I'd email the FA, cc. Gordon Taylor at the PFA, and seek advice on the appropriate way to react.

Tried to phone him but he's busy on the other line booking Julian Clary for the Xmas party.

I'd email the FA, cc. Gordon Taylor at the PFA, and seek advice on the appropriate way to react.

they'd champagne supporting the players and banning anyone found guilty of homophobic remarks/chants all whilst booking a comedian renown for his poof gags

I can find plenty of reasons to abuse opposition players if I so wish, I wouldn't need to use who a bloke sleeps with behind closed doors to take the piss out of him.

Depends who the player is I would say. Does anyone honestly believe that if is was Rooney or Terry they wouldnt rip the piss

See my first post.

I can abuse Terry and Shrek all I want because both are cunts and are fair game.

I have plenty to take the piss out of them about. Who they want to shag behind closed doors is their business and sleeping with men isn't what would make them cunts.

Surely you can see that?

If a player came out and people were to sing songs about that then I would be a bit disgusted, if they were a cunt and they were singing about that person being a cunt, then that is acceptable.

To persecute somebody for their sexual orientation is not big and it's not clever. Just because a man chooses to sleep with another man then who am I to judge because I am not that way inclined?

We are all equal unless you are John Terry, then you are just a cunt.

Oh and private poll? Booooooooo!!!

If a player came out and people were to sing songs about that then I would be a bit disgusted, if they were a cunt and they were singing about that person being a cunt, then that is acceptable.

To persecute somebody for their sexual orientation is not big and it's not clever. Just because a man chooses to sleep with another man then who am I to judge because I am not that way inclined?

We are all equal unless you are John Terry, then you are just a cunt.

Now, now, Skids, you can't be seeing people's privates.

See my first post.

I can abuse Terry and Shrek all I want because both are cunts and are fair game.

I have plenty to take the piss out of them about. Who they want to shag behind closed doors is their business and sleeping with men isn't what would make them cunts.

Surely you can see that?

I'd wager that who they want to shag behind closed doors is a big part of what you would use to slag those two off anyhow. Isnt it?

Granny shagger?? prossie Shagger?? She loves the scouse cock??

not a single person would admit to wanting to sing homophobic songs in a public poll, surely.

I wanted to get an honest feel for what football fans think and would do, and honest normally goes hand in hand with anonymity.

so, by way of a riposte....

Booooooooooo you.

Wouldn't bother me but the media reaction would turn it into a circus. And it would open the doors of incompetence at the FA for more "hate crimes" to be punished.

Isn't there a certain Reading player who everyone's pretty sure is gay? Don't want to name him in case it's libelous but you know who I mean.

Wouldn't bother me but the media reaction would turn it into a circus. And it would open the doors of incompetence at the FA for more "hate crimes" to be punished.

Isn't there a certain Reading player who everyon's pretty sure is gay? Don't want to name him in case it libels the site but you know who I mean.

I have no idea. Honestly.

I would rule out that massive Russian grock they have up front though

NFL star Wallace lands himself in trouble after homophobic remarks about Collins

The Miami Dolphins have condemned one of their leading players for making homophobic remarks after NBA star Jason Collins became the first player in a major American team sport to come out as gay. The 34-year-old, who played most recently for the Washington Wizards in an NBA career spanning 12 seasons and six teams, came out in an article with Sports Illustrated magazine.

He wrote: 'I'm a 34-year-old NBA centre. I'm black. And I'm gay. 'I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." 'If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.'

Collins received widespread support on Twitter following the article, but 26-year-old wide receiver Wallace's attitude was rather different. He Tweeted: 'All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH (shaking my head) ...' He later deleted the Tweet and posted: 'Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended.'

His team issued a statement saying Wallace had apologised and they had spoken to him about the matter. The statement on the team's official Twitter feed said: 'Mike Wallace has apologised for his comments, and we have addressed the matter with him. 'Mike's comments do not reflect the views of the Miami Dolphins. We believe in a culture of inclusiveness and respect, and any statements to the contrary are in no way acceptable to our organisation. 'We will address the entire team about our policy of inclusion and make sure they all understand the importance of respecting individual choices.'

Revealing he was gay, Collins said he was pleased he could finally 'do the right thing' and 'stop hiding'. He wrote: 'No one wants to live in fear. I've always been scared of saying the wrong thing. I don't sleep well. I never have. But each time I tell another person, I feel stronger and sleep a little more soundly. 'It takes an enormous amount of energy to guard such a big secret. I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew. 'And yet when I acknowledged my sexuality I felt whole for the first time. I still had the same sense of humour, I still had the same mannerisms and my friends still had my back'

He added: 'Pro basketball is a family. And pretty much every family I know has a brother, sister or cousin who's gay. In the brotherhood of the NBA, I just happen to be the one who's out.'

Collins, who is now a free agent, has reached the NBA finals twice and said he intended to continue his career.

Read more: Mike Wallace condemned by Miami Dolphins for homophobic remarks about Jason Collins | Mail Online

Snigger.

As most have said, I wouldn't think any more or less of the player. if it was a manc or a chav then yeah i'd probably take the piss but without any real malice.

I do honestly think however that if one of our players came out, turdseye would try to find a way to fuck him.

Isn't there a certain Reading player who everyone's pretty sure is gay? Don't want to name him in case it's libelous but you know who I mean.

Alex Pearce.

I think the reaction someone would get is being greatly exaggerated, a couple of weeks of hysteria followed by fuck all. Obviously if your high profile and a cunt then abuse is sure to rain down on you. If a nobody from WBA or Reading was gay, every few people would give a shit, if Ferdinand, Rooney, Terry, Cole, Suarez, Van Persie, Evra (especially Evra) or Barton turned out to be gay then that's a different ball game all together. Personally I would join in songs about any of the above (bar Suarez) and probably join in funny chants for all other gays.

It’ll happen, and the sooner the better. It’s crazy that people still have to hide things like this. I also don’t think football will be the last place where a professional will come out; that’ll be rugby.

The fans will chant something, but I doubt it'd be much worse then many other chants. It's just the fact it'll be perceived as especially anti-gay, as opposed to just random terrace abuse, that'll have the moral hordes up in arms.

As for the issue itself. It will result in a cacophony of bullshit bans from the FA. The very next time a gay player takes a dive, and the player accused of fouling says “get up you puff” in the same way he’s said to every other player he feels has dived over the years, he’ll be up for homophobic abuse. It’ll be never ending. If it’s a gay black fella who is made of something tasty, then Suarez is fucked.

It’ll happen, and the sooner the better. It’s crazy that people still have to hide things like this. I also don’t think football will be the last place where a professional will come out; that’ll be rugby.

The fans will chant something, but I doubt it'd be much worse then many other chants. It's just the fact it'll be perceived as especially anti-gay, as opposed to just random terrace abuse, that'll have the moral hordes up in arms.

As for the issue itself. It will result in a cacophony of bullshit bans from the FA. The very next time a gay player takes a dive, and the player accused of fouling says “get up you puff” in the same way he’s said to every other player he feels has dived over the years, he’ll be up for homophobic abuse. It’ll be never ending. If it’s a gay black fella who is made of something tasty, then Suarez is fucked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Thomas_(rugby)